User Tag List

First 12202122232432 Last

Results 211 to 220 of 509

  1. #211
    Ginkgo
    Guest

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Tallulah View Post
    Why? The nail polish/makeup thread was accomplishing the purpose it was started for. No one intended to solve any major world issues in that thread, and yet some (yes, intelligent) posters found answers to questions they had about something they use in their daily lives. Talking about nail polish doesn't make one a half-wit. And threads like that are also a way that posters share their experience with other posters, creating good will. I think that's pretty useful.

    Victor starts threads about the same two ideas, then refuses to engage people in an honest debate about his ideas. He decides to interpret genuine engagement as bullying, and nothing happens except a discussion about Victor and his methods. People then jump in and defend him, as you are doing, but the defenses always imply that there's some element of genius that the rest of the board is missing. I don't buy it. No one who defends him ever offers any evidence for this supposed genius. There are plenty of reasonable, flexible, intelligent people on the boards that would be willing to listen to Victor's ideas if he were willing to engage beyond his current level. I don't care for his style, it's true, but I could very easily look past it if he were willing to take what others are saying and create an actual dialogue with them, rather than delivering them as a pronouncements that must be swallowed in their entirety. Why is it okay for Victor to assume that every time someone disagrees with him, it must be because they are afraid of controversy or afraid of change? He never provides any evidence for this idea. But we're supposed to see him as some sort of anti-MBTI prophet. I suspect this is probably another Fi vs Fe thing for a lot of people. Why should Victor have to change his tactics to suit all of you, etc. Answer: he doesn't have to, but he can't expect a different result, and loads of people are tired of his schtick, and have every right to be tired of it.

    Frankly, I'm not sure why we aren't allowed to be annoyed with Victor's tactics. He's off-limits, where others can be ripped to shreds at will. He's not defenseless or weak, and he is perfectly capable of coming up with a tactic to reach more people with his "message," if that is truly what he desires. But it's not. Perhaps he feels like amending his style of communication renders him inauthentic. That's fine. But it will be received the same way each and every time.
    Victor won this thread before it was even started.

    Firstly, he's convinced you that he's off-limits when he's really not.
    Secondly, he's set in a motion controversy about himself which deflects from the original issue.
    Thirdly, if he's got a few screws loose in the attic, or is as unintelligent as you might suggest, then all the more reason to disregard him. Yet, you attend to his nonsense and simplistic ideas anyway. If Victor's ideas lack common sense, then what's the big issue? Think about it this way: if you were to meet someone who was trying to convince you the sun revolved around the earth, and was unwilling to listen to reason, would you really blow that much steam if he didn't listen to you? I wouldn't. All the more reason to consider him a nut or a troll and move on. If you ask me, challenging nonsense as though your personal vitality is at stake strongly suggests some insecurity on your part, whether it be about the marrow of the topic you're discussing or something else entirely.

  2. #212
    Ginkgo
    Guest

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by iwakar View Post
    @Victor

    And what of her cosmetic embellishments?
    Good potential but needs braces.

    or hers?
    I like it when she looks back at me like that.

    or hers?
    Maybe I would have considered her 120 years ago.

    or his?
    Is he rich?

    or his and hers?
    Girl on the right wins because she reminds me of Nij

  3. #213
    Senior Member Tiltyred's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    468 sx/sp
    Socionics
    EII None
    Posts
    4,383

    Default

    Tallulah's not insecure.

    There's more to it than his notions. (See? I'm nice. I left out the adjective.)

  4. #214
    Senior Member ICUP's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    6w5 sx/sp
    Posts
    1,793

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ginkgo View Post
    Victor won this thread before it was even started.
    And you see this as some sort of game?

    Quote Originally Posted by Ginkgo View Post
    Thirdly, if he's got a few screws loose in the attic, or is as unintelligent as you might suggest, then all the more reason to disregard him.
    I don't think he's unintelligent, in some ways. He's just nutty. He obviously reads and he has a good memory. To be a genius requires creativity and originality that Victor could not possess.
    I actually am watching this because it's funny to me, and I enjoy observing it. Really, all-in-all, it has absolutely nothing to do with Victor himself, but the role that Victor is playing and how people respond to it. I also enjoy posting my views, and seeing how people will respond to me. It's interesting for people who are into psychology.

    I'm detached from it all.
    ISTP 6w5 sx/sp
    6-8-4/6-9-4 Tritype

  5. #215
    Emerging Tallulah's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    MBTI
    INTP
    Posts
    6,028

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ginkgo View Post
    Victor won this thread before it was even started.

    Firstly, he's convinced you that he's off-limits when he's really not.
    Secondly, he's set in a motion controversy about himself which deflects from the original issue.
    Thirdly, if he's got a few screws loose in the attic, or is as unintelligent as you might suggest, then all the more reason to disregard him. Yet, you attend to his nonsense and simplistic ideas anyway. If Victor's ideas lack common sense, then what's the big issue? Think about it this way: if you were to meet someone who was trying to convince you the sun revolved around the earth, and was unwilling to listen to reason, would you really blow that much steam if he didn't listen to you? I wouldn't. All the more reason to consider him a nut or a troll and move on. If you ask me, challenging nonsense as though your personal vitality is at stake strongly suggests some insecurity on your part, whether it be about the marrow of the topic you're discussing or something else entirely.
    Hey, armchair psychiatrist, I could care less about what Victor posts, and in fact, have him on ignore. What we've been talking about for the last 17 pages is, in fact, Victor and his tactics. The effect he creates on the forum is a moderately interesting topic, and more interesting than anything he posts, in my opinion. Having an opinion on that is relevant to this discussion, with these posters, and nothing more.
    Something Witty

  6. #216
    Senior Member King sns's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    MBTI
    enfp
    Enneagram
    6w7 sp/sx
    Socionics
    IEE
    Posts
    6,747

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Tallulah View Post
    Hey, armchair psychiatrist, I could care less about what Victor posts, and in fact, have him on ignore. What we've been talking about for the last 17 pages is, in fact, Victor and his tactics. The effect he creates on the forum is a moderately interesting topic, and more interesting than anything he posts, in my opinion. Having an opinion on that is relevant to this discussion, with these posters, and nothing more.
    Hmm. You have Victor on ignore? I am rather confused by this anti-Victor sentiment a lot of people have. I used to think he was kind of silly. Now I think he has some interesting comments and unusual opinions, and he's also still silly. I have tried and failed to see where the anti-Victor comes from. I am completely blind to any bad intent. I feel like I'm missing a Victor ear or eye that a lot of people seem to have. I feel the same way about people who are in the opposite opinion about him.
    06/13 10:51:03 five sounds: you!!!
    06/13 10:51:08 shortnsweet: no you!!
    06/13 10:51:12 shortnsweet: go do your things and my things too!
    06/13 10:51:23 five sounds: oh hell naw
    06/13 10:51:55 shortnsweet: !!!!
    06/13 10:51:57 shortnsweet: (cries)
    06/13 10:52:19 RiftsWRX: You two are like furbies stuck in a shoe box

    My Nohari
    My Johari
    by sns.

  7. #217
    Permabanned
    Join Date
    May 2009
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi
    Posts
    25,301

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by shortnsweet View Post
    Hmm. You have Victor on ignore? I am rather confused by this anti-Victor sentiment a lot of people have. I used to think he was kind of silly. Now I think he has some interesting comments and unusual opinions, and he's also still silly. I have tried and failed to see where the anti-Victor comes from. I am completely blind to any bad intent.
    Yeah I agree it seems excessive. It would be different if he was this openly nasty person.

    Of course, as I've said repeatedly, I also don't understand why people get so upset about derailed threads, either.

  8. #218
    Ginkgo
    Guest

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ICUP View Post
    And you see this as some sort of game?
    I don't know if he sees it as a game, but he's certainly persistent in his strategy. It's kind of amusing in any case.



    I don't think he's unintelligent, in some ways. He's just nutty. To be a genius requires creativity and originality that Victor could not possess.
    I actually am watching this because it's funny to me, and I enjoy observing it. Really, all-in-all, it has absolutely nothing to do with Victor himself, but the role that Victor is playing and how people respond to it. I also enjoy posting my views, and seeing how people will respond to me. It's interesting for people who are into psychology.

    I'm detached from it all.
    You and I are in a similar boat.

    Quote Originally Posted by Tallulah View Post
    Hey, armchair psychiatrist, I could care less about what Victor posts, and in fact, have him on ignore.
    You have him on ignore. Let me guess... because you don't care about what he says? That makes sense.
    What we've been talking about for the last 17 pages is, in fact, Victor and his tactics. The effect he creates on the forum is a moderately interesting topic, and more interesting than anything he posts, in my opinion. Having an opinion on that is relevant to this discussion, with these posters, and nothing more.
    It certainly is interesting. Interesting enough to be in the graveyard and not the philosophy section.

  9. #219
    Anew Leaf
    Guest

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by shortnsweet View Post
    Hmm. You have Victor on ignore? I am rather confused by this anti-Victor sentiment a lot of people have. I used to think he was kind of silly. Now I think he has some interesting comments and unusual opinions, and he's also still silly. I have tried and failed to see where the anti-Victor comes from. I am completely blind to any bad intent. I feel like I'm missing a Victor ear or eye that a lot of people seem to have. I feel the same way about people who are in the opposite opinion about him.
    I agree here. I've been out of the loop for awhile but I don't really get what is going on in this thread. Admittedly I didn't read much because... well, it wasn't interesting.

    I feel like I am either missing something or interpreting what is going on in an entirely different fashion. Either way the vitriol makes little sense to me going either way.

  10. #220
    Senior Member Tiltyred's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    468 sx/sp
    Socionics
    EII None
    Posts
    4,383

    Default

    I'm not sure whether you really mean what you say half the time, but I can explain to you why derailed threads upset me. It's as if you are listening to music that you thoroughly enjoy, and then somebody abruptly puts on bagpipes or marching band music full blast, and you have no choice then but to listen to bagpipes or marching band music.

    In the example here, pretend it's guys who are really into motorcycles talking about their motorcycles. Would you jump into that conversation with "I don't think people should ride motorcycles. Motorcycles are dangerous." I hope your answer would be "No," or "Yes, if I were feeling masochistic."

Similar Threads

  1. The Emerging Church - Thoughts on Postmodern Christianity
    By Apollonian in forum Philosophy and Spirituality
    Replies: 21
    Last Post: 10-07-2007, 09:23 AM
  2. Has anyone heard of Global Dimming and if so what are your thoughts on it??
    By ladypinkington in forum Science, Technology, and Future Tech
    Replies: 42
    Last Post: 09-16-2007, 06:13 AM
  3. Thoughts on Hybrid MBTI/Keirsey Types?
    By Usehername in forum Myers-Briggs and Jungian Cognitive Functions
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 09-09-2007, 03:52 PM
  4. My thoughts on the I phone
    By Opivy1980 in forum Science, Technology, and Future Tech
    Replies: 25
    Last Post: 07-09-2007, 06:38 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO