• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

What do you consider to be your inner demon?

uncommonentity

Would you say you have something that eats you from the inside?

If so, are you avoidant of it for the bliss of ignorance or are you making logical steps towards defeating it?

G

Ginkgo

Yes.

If so, are you avoidant of it for the bliss of ignorance or are you making logical steps towards defeating it?

You "defeat" it by accepting it and learning from it. In almost all cases, you must relearn and relearn the same process as that inner-demon wells up again. It's only a demon if it possesses you or you interpret others as assuming its form. Hint hint. It's your interpretation. Your responsibility. Likely, it's something you'll wrestle with for the rest of your life.

While I do have demons that are more apparent, the one I struggle with is a silent sort of sensitivity. I know how to seal it, doing so is easy, but realizing I must do so is difficult at times.

Qlip

Post Human Post
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I am Legion. I identify with all aspects of myself. I don't so much try to fight the problematic ones but instead balance, foster or subvert.

CrystalViolet

lab rat extraordinaire
MBTI Type
XNFP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Hmm, I do have inner demons. I ran from them for a long time. I was forced to confront them a couple of years ago. I deal with them a day at a time now. I try to forgive myself, but again it's a daily proccess. Other people are much more forgiving and understanding, but I'm less so of myself.

R

ReflecTcelfeR

Demonizing comes from misunderstanding. I use all efforts to avoid miscommunication. I fight it. I conquer through knowing why and the beast is quieted, but never killed otherwise "I" would die, too.

It doesn't like to be named. I've learnt that.

gromit

likes this
My inner demon is a trash-talker and super negative/critical. I just have to keep trying to do positive things with my talents and develop them and have friendships and other relationships and count my blessings, do things that I find interesting and rewarding. And when something comes up that is difficult, see it as a challenge and an experience to learn.

Having tangible things to point to or recall or to have something to show for really helps me.

And sometimes I just have to say "OH SHUT UP" or almost make fun of it like "wahhhh life is so hard, everything is horrible I'm just gonna die now" and then, taking it to extreme like that, I realize that I am being a little bit ridiculous.

In the past I would definitely believe those negative thoughts and had a hard time getting away from them, I still get in funks from time to time.

SilkRoad

Lay the coin on my tongue
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I think I have a few. The worst one is probably that when someone has hurt me, I have a certain dark desire to see them suffer. Certainly, the last thing I would do is wish them well.

It can be like unforgiveness taken to an extreme. It's weird because for so many things I am very forgiving. I think it is partly an offended sense of justice, in a twisted way. I don't like it if someone hurt me and then things seem to go well for them.

It can be reversed when I actually hear they're suffering, though. It's strange. For instance, I have to admit I was kind of...if not "glad", then "satisfied" when I heard my ex's marriage had broken up. It seemed kind of right...even though that's not a good impulse. More recently, though I have not seen him for years, I have heard that he seems depressed, and generally things are going quite badly for him. It was then that I felt a pang, and something like concern.

I'm a Christian and forgiveness is an important part of my faith, so it really is a dark thing in me. I remind myself that we all make mistakes and that we are all in need of forgiveness, and you can't expect forgiveness if you don't extend it. It hasn't gone away, though.

rav3n

Being controlled. If I don't trust you, good luck trying to have even a pinpoint of control over me. Either I will duke it out with you until you're dead or I'll drop you like a hot rock, if you try.

I've accepted it as one of the base premises to my personality.

Coriolis

Si vis pacem, para bellum
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
If I have an inner demon, it is most likely the sense that, somewhere way back, I should have made a different choice resulting in my life being significantly different from what it is today. It is easy to set this thought aside to carry on with daily activities, and it rarely becomes a preoccupation, but it continues to lurk at the edges of consciousness, and every now and then rears its head for attention. I try as time permits to address it by objectively considering the pros and cons of my real life, and the life I sometimes feel I should have. I also try to figure out why I feel drawn to something on the surface far less appealing. So far, however, I have made little headway.

xisnotx

Permabanned
Yes, not really something specific, more a mentality that I know is (hopefully) unjustifiable, but one which I guess I have a sort of sickly romantic relationship with. Of course why this is probably due to specific instances of my history, but I rather not open up that can of worms here.

Both.
Sometimes I purposefully put it out of my head in order to function simply because I know if I'm constantly carrying it around I am liable to do and say things that I will later regret .
Other times those things need to be said.

Personally, I don't look at it as if it is something that can be defeated...or rather the only way it can be defeated is by me not existing anymore. As someone said above, "I would die too..". I just try to understand it for what it is, move on, and surround myself with people who understand that not everyone is able to put up a fake wall of "everything is all right" all the time.

Such Irony

Honor Thy Inferior
MBTI Type
INtp
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I find it next to impossible to swallow the fact that life is not inherently fair.

I find it difficult to let go of past hurts. Same with stupid and embarrassing things I've done or said. Even if its long in the past and very minor, the thought of it still periodically comes back to haunt me.

Noon

Envy.

Sometimes there's so much of it that it can actually become physically exhausting.
I don't ignore it because I can't, but I've only started trying to overcome it a year ago.

OrangeAppled

Sugar Hiccup
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Too much stuff...

- I hate to admit this because I hate competition & jealousy & I see this as leading to that (although I don't think this tendency in me leads to that :thinking: ), but I can be very resentful of things people have/do that I want for myself. It's not that I don't want them to have/do it, but I always think, "Why not me also?!!!".
"Two lovers entwined pass me by, and heaven knows I'm miserable now".

- I have to fight the feeling that everyone has it easier than me in life and that I am somehow defective & cursed, that everything will always be harder for me.

- I want BAD stuff to happen to people who do me wrong. I'm not actively vindictive, but I have vengeful fantasies that don't exactly help me to move on.

- Romanticizing my flaws & melancholy feelings to the point that I think changing them means losing who I am.

- General self-doubt, negative self-defeating predictions of not meeting my ideals, hopelessness, feeling out of control.

- Impatience with slow improvements in life & taking a critical eye to everything, zeroing in on what is lacking.

- Elitist attitudes, including resentment towards other for their achievements because deep down I feel I am better, but just misunderstood (probably because I'm sooo far above their heads- riiiight).

I find self-awareness my best tool (first step is admitting it, right?), and then immediate correction of the thoughts in my own head, followed by productive action.

Vizzy

Enneagram
5w4
My inner demon tells me that I shouldn't bother trying to look good, that no sane guy will choose me over every other girl, and that I'm no more competent than the next person.
As a result, I dress casually and avoid looking like I'm trying hard, assert to others and myself that I don't need a relationship, and play down all my attributes and abilities.
I accept it all and I'm pretty peaceful...or so I seem.

Eric B

ⒺⓉⒷ
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I find it next to impossible to swallow the fact that life is not inherently fair.

I find it difficult to let go of past hurts. Same with stupid and embarrassing things I've done or said. Even if its long in the past and very minor, the thought of it still periodically comes back to haunt me.

Me too!

I would say, overall, it fits the Beebe archetype, where the "Demon" is connected with the function opposite the dominant, but in the same orientation; which is Fi.
So this is an inner sense of integrity and worth, that is unconsciously but strongly piqued especially by [perceived] attacks to the inferior perspective it is shadowing.

Firness, for instance, particularly for us, would stem from a dominant Ti perspective, of impersonal (technical) things such as symmetry. This is reflected on the humane side by the opposite Fe perspective, where we expect the same respect from others, and subconsciously stake our own sense of worth on it. When people don't comply, we feel attacked, devalued, and are just torn apart by "the injustice of it all" (unfairness).
This becomes internalized, so thus generates a very negative Fi perspective, which becomes our "personal demon". We can't let go of the injustice or any other slight, or even our own genuine blunders, which seems to go along with everything else we're reacting to. Thus, also, guilt feelings, overly put off or feeling threatened by the moralistic posture of others, etc.

Beebe associated an ITP's feelings of "anger and rage and ambition and aggression as well as with greed and desire" tha"turns upon itself, morbidly; we are envious, jealous, depressed, feeding our needs and their immediate gratification...", as "a description of demonic introverted feeling in an introverted thinking type".

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
Ugh my demon is my reactivity...but IRL people PRAISE ME FOR IT. It's because I am soooo quiet and easy to get along with so much of the time, then they want to high five me when I directly confront some jackass who is bothering everyone. My family does this, some of my friends do it, a few people even did it THIS MORNING.

But my reactivity can get the better of me, which can lead to negativity, which is bullshit. I am working on it with Taoism and I'm meditating and trying to work on it, I really am.

According to the Tao, your worst weakness can be harnessed and be applied as a unique strength you have. That's my goal.

Within

Permabanned
I refer to my demon as hearing damage, or even more sincerely, egoism. I can't get rid of it though, because the symbioses we live in would destroy me as well.