User Tag List

First 1234 Last

Thread: Thoughtcrime

MBTI
    ESFJ

Quote Originally Posted by suzyk View Post
    All ideas should be respected, no matter how stupid they are, as long as the person genuinely takes it seriously. The human mind is a network of intricate connections, the next plausible idea thought up could get fame and controversy. Animal/human hybrids, for example. I don't see why it's so wrong.
    I disagree here. I have absolutely no responsibility to respect someone else's opinions and ideas if I find them idiotic, baseless, evil, etc. I just can't restrict his or her right to express them.
    Who wants to try a bottle of merc's "Extroversion Olive Oil?"

MBTI
    ESFJ

Quote Originally Posted by Carebear View Post
    I couldn't agree more.

"Guns don't kill people, video games kill people"
    People shouldn't blame guns or video games or Marilyn Manson for their own actions (or the actions of their fucked-up, spoiled, violent offspring).

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by pure_mercury View Post
    I disagree here. I have absolutely no responsibility to respect someone else's opinions and ideas if I find them idiotic, baseless, evil, etc. I just can't restrict his or her right to express them.
    Maybe you just can't see from their perspective. Granted, I also can't stand some stupid ideas, but after I put some thought into it, I see how that person reacher their conclusion.
    "I can write better than anybody who can write faster, and I can write faster than anybody who can write better."
    - A. J. Liebling

MBTI
    INFP

Quote Originally Posted by pure_mercury View Post
    People shouldn't blame guns or video games or Marilyn Manson for their own actions (or the actions of their fucked-up, spoiled, violent offspring).
    I agree with you, though I probably disagree with your view on gun control (unless you're also of the opinion that the fewer guns a society has availiable, the better.) That's another discussion, though. People have a responsibility for their own actions, and blaming guns, music, video games and so on is just stupid.
    I have arms for a fucking reaosn, so come hold me. Then we'll fuvk! Whoooooh! - GZA

MBTI
    ESFJ

Maybe you just can't see from their perspective. Granted, I also can't stand some stupid ideas, but after I put some thought into it, I see how that person reacher their conclusion.
    I often see how they came to their conclusion, but that doesn't necessarily make the conclusion any more acceptable. Marxism-Leninism has logic to it; that doesn't mean I have to feel any affinity for its methods or aims.

MBTI
    INTP

Well, that's your view on it. People always bug you about 'freedom of speech/thoughts/ideas/etc.', but in the end, there are more people opposing ideas than claiming that it's their right to think up and suggest their idea to the world. I don't feel hatred very strongly for any ideas.
    "I can write better than anybody who can write faster, and I can write faster than anybody who can write better."
    - A. J. Liebling

MBTI
    ESFJ

Well, that's your view on it. People always bug you about 'freedom of speech/thoughts/ideas/etc.', but in the end, there are more people opposing ideas than claiming that it's their right to think up and suggest their idea to the world. I don't feel hatred very strongly for any ideas.
    I think that the sticking point is that freedom of speech and ideas also means the freedom to mock someone else's viewpoints. You are "free" to do as you like, but that doesn't mean anyone else has to support you.

MBTI
    INTP

You phrased it correctly. So too much freedom can equal too much criticism, so you are also right. But since we do have freedom of speech here, I'll respect your views on ideas and mine to myself. The problem is respect, and how some things are said that affects people.
    - A. J. Liebling

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4

The problem with speech that incites violence is that the thwarts the process of examination altogether.

MBTI
    OMNi

Quote Originally Posted by proteanmix View Post
    Are some ideas too dangerous to be seriously considered and given credence?
    You can share an idea. That doesn't mean people have to listen.

Are gut level reactions of abhorrence or distaste to certain ideas hardwired or trappings of societal prohibitions?
    Most are societal. Disgust and abhorrence are an emotional reaction to something we have learned to find unpleasant.

Just in case, I don't mean people can't literally think these thoughts, I mean should they be given a public platform say on Good Morning America (or whatever the equivalent is in your country).
    Nancy Grace, a former attorney who showed absolutely no ethics, got a show and she sensationalizes crimes that are already horrific. Of course, I don't blame her or her network, only the people who watch that crap.
    Quote Originally Posted by Silently Honest View Post
    OMNi: Wisdom at the cost of Sanity.