User Tag List

First 12

MBTI
    INTj

Quote Originally Posted by Little_Sticks View Post
    I think to him he saw war as pointless, as somewhat barbaric, although amazing and incredible at the same time. He sees it as a part of humanity, but also a dark part; and to him darkness equates to evil. I couldn't really disagree in that sense. It's very dark.
    Define evil. It is not a universal concept. It can be arbitrarily defined as long as others agree. I define it as unfairness. If you are not willing to impose on yourself the principles that you demand of others, then you are evil.

War is not pointless. It is the natural way to settle disputes when coexistence is impossible. It is not evil unless the objective is. Self defense is the an obvious example of a valid reason for engaging in warfare.

Quote Originally Posted by Not_Me View Post
    Define evil. It is not a universal concept. It can be arbitrarily defined as long as others agree. I define it as unfairness. If you are not willing to impose on yourself the principles that you demand of others, then you are evil.
    Errmm, what? I defined evil, but did so abstractly. I equate it to the dark parts of human existence. And that makes me evil for asking you to form your own argument on the idea? For actually wanting to hear your own argument for it? That doesn't imply that you can't describe it abstractly like I do. So I'm evil? wat...

War is not pointless. It is the natural way to settle disputes when coexistence is impossible. It is not evil unless the objective is. Self defense is the an obvious example of a valid reason for engaging in warfare.
    Just for the record, citing your opinion as a factual counter-argument to anything I have openly expressed as an opinion doesn't make your opinions more substantial over mine.

The thing with self-defense though is that when it involves two people, one person has to feel their life is threatened and use violence on the other. In my book, it's still a pointless situation because I would believe it better to always look for ways to avoid such situations. By deciding it is okay for whatever reason, one stops trying to avoid these things or look for ways to prevent them from happening. And I'm not saying I would hold it against someone because sometimes it happens and there is no way around it, but I still see it as an intellectual failure on humanity's part - something that should be learned from to avoid in the future, but not something to use as an excuse.

But when it involves millions of people rallying together as one implied force against another, there's a lot more to consider in how that situation unfolds compared to the two people. It's quite a different situation with a lot more variables and justifying an act of war as self-defense as reasonable means it is not seen as an inevitable failure - as something to avoid.

I suppose though through the point of view of someone more inclined to use war as a first or second resort I would automatically be deemed weak by implication for seeing it as a last resort because it's much easier to eliminate opposition than to compromise and tolerate it in other ways. But perhaps this is where it comes down to philosophy; I believe it overall better to learn to accept and get along with people in the long run than to fight everyone and everything. I would find it rather paradoxical though for the former inclination to get much benefit because for every action, there is an equal and opposite reaction. If one fights, expect others to fight back, I suppose. What an unfortunate way to devote an existence, even though I can appreciate and respect the meaning that comes with fighting back against a world or people that hurt you in a self-defense point of view.

MBTI
    INTj

Quote Originally Posted by Little_Sticks View Post
    Errmm, what? I defined evil, but did so abstractly. I equate it to the dark parts of human existence.
    "Dark" is too ambiguous. What do you mean by it?

And that makes me evil for asking you to form your own argument on the idea? For actually wanting to hear your own argument for it? That doesn't imply that you can't describe it abstractly like I do. So I'm evil? wat...
    I think you did not interpret my statement the way it was intended. I did not say you were evil. I was simply providing a more universally applicable definition of the term.

The thing with self-defense though is that when it involves two people, one person has to feel their life is threatened and use violence on the other. In my book, it's still a pointless situation because I would believe it better to always look for ways to avoid such situations.
    Yes, it is preferable to attempt to resolve differences equitably, but if that fails, violence is the tool of last resort. It is preferable to submission. Only in an ideal world where everyone was reasonable would violence be pointless.