Default Can Hard Work beat talent?

Title asks all.

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    7w8
    Socionics
    ENTj

Only in specific cases, mostly where peak-performance isn't necessarily rewarded.
    ENTj 7-3-8 sx/sp

observation/deduction.

Certified Sausage Smoker Elfboy's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Socionics
    SLI None

yes, with a very small number of exceptions. one such instance is opera. let's say there is a classical singing competition and one of the contestants is a light, canary bird coloratura soprano. on the other end, you have a huge, rich, heroic dramatic soprano voice who can effortlessly fill the Metropolitan Opera House. if both singers have equal or close to equal artistry and technique, than frankly, the dramatic soprano is going to win. she just has a better voice.
    however, even this example is relatively inconsequential. the lighter soprano can still get hired for more roles, build and excellent career and be more successful in every sense of the word, she just won't have as good a voice. one such example of this currently is Renee Fleming. while she does have a nice voice (I'm not intending to bash her) her vocal capabilities (range, power, agility, etc) are rather average and there are thousands, no, 10s of thousands of unheard of sopranos out there with more stunning voices. Renee is more successful though because she works hard on both ends and it both a great singer and a great self promoter/manager. others may have better voices, but, in the end, she wins
    in the long run, discipline, determination, technique and constant (relevant) learning and improving beat talent with energy to spare.
    ENFP: We put the Fi in Fire
    ENFP
    5w4>1w9>2w1 Sx/Sp
    SEE-Fi
    Papa Bear
    Motivation: Dark Worker
    Alignment: Chaotic Neutral
    Chibi Seme
    MTG Color: black/red
    Male Archtype: King/Lover
    Sunburst!
    "You are a gay version of Gambit" Speed Gavroche
    "I wish that I could be affected by any hate, but I can't, cuz I just get affected by the bank" Chamillionaire

I am inclined to answer in the affirmative but, of course, it depends on the magnitude of talent and work in question.

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    E9

It seems to me that hard work almost always beats talent. The exceptions might be in highly creative endeavours that require high levels of talent, but hard work is still required to achieve mastery in addition to talent. A lot of highly creative talent is wasted for lack of business skills (eg undiscovered artists and musicians).

In corporate America, it seems to me that you need hard work and social skills more than talent, but you probably need all three to get to the top.

In LA, you need political skills more than anything else, but that is my cynicism speaking.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sx/sp

yes, but knowing the right people beats both.

MBTI
    ENTP

It depends what level you're on: the higher the level of expertise, the less meaningful raw talent becomes. @chana is right though: knowing the right people gets you further than both.

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Typical, hard work will beat talent because talent is static but hard work is incremental... so it the talent has nothing else going for it or no way to express itself effectively, the hard work will move ahead. There's also a problem where talent at first relies on talent and doesn't really know what "hard work" is... so when a difficult situation arises, talent flounders. Again, hard work has a mechanism in place by which it can plow ahead.

Quote Originally Posted by chana View Post
    yes, but knowing the right people beats both.
    Yeah, that can be even more powerful... although more volatile, since at that point there is little of the situation that is under your control -- all your power resides in another person, and if you lose that relationship, you are toast.
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft