• yes

27 81.82%
  • no.

6 18.18%
First 4567 Last

MBTI
    entp
    Enneagram

Yea and what does the device if the cat is ill or wants to play. Can it clean its toilet too ? How does it notice if the cat feels alone for example ? How many more years of development do we need to technologically advance that much so we can spare us hard work ?

I will be definitly some and as long as that is so, substituting hard work is desireable, but the POV from which you look at it, shouldnt be: "your work is substitutable". it should be: "thanks for doing it"
    [URL]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tEBvftJUwDw&t=0s[/URL]

MBTI
    Aeon
    Enneagram
    10w so
    Socionics
    LOL

Quote Originally Posted by entropie View Post
    Yea and what does the device if the cat is ill or wants to play. Can it clean its toilet too ? How does it notice if the cat feels alone for example ? How many more years of development do we need to technologically advance that much so we can spare us hard work ?
    I'm sure we'll be creating work for ourselves indefinitely. But you know that self cleaning cat toilets and automatic cat feeding devices have already been invented right? As far as the other points go, the aim is to minimise work, rather than diverting all the tasks of pet ownership.

so can i be one of the most skilled in a field if i practice really hard?

Well the specific talent/skill i really desire is observation and deduction. The ability to notice the smallest of the details and then make accurate predictions on the person. Kinda influenced by TV (The Mentalist, Psych) but i know these can be done in real life also. When i watch these shows i always think, 'shit....maybe i could do that' and i kinda feel like i could but i don't know.

http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/SherlockScan

http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.ph...HyperAwareness

Can hard work help me?

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    9w1

Not so much hard work as "Perseverance trumps talent". The reward to always goes to the most persistent not necessarily the most talented. The persistent person could be very talented, but its not a prerequisite.
    Be careful about reading health books. You may die of a misprint.
    Mark Twain

MBTI
    entp
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by Catbert View Post
    I'm sure we'll be creating work for ourselves indefinitely. But you know that self cleaning cat toilets and automatic cat feeding devices have already been invented right? As far as the other points go, the aim is to minimise work, rather than diverting all the tasks of pet ownership.
    you know metaphorical skills can actually save you a lot of time, given the person you talk to has at least some competence and understanding for the bigger picture. at least its nice to at least pretend you'ld find the intercolutors attitude funny, running around the world and pushing everyone ones own attitude of factualness on the forehead, doenst indicate flexibility or at least the will to be able to tolerate the majority of mankind. at least !
    [URL]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tEBvftJUwDw&t=0s[/URL]

MBTI
    infp

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Guess View Post
    You're confusing skill, which is indeed built up through hard work, with raw talent, which is inborn aptitude. Some people are better at learning and developing certain skills than other people; it doesn't mean that they are automatically going to be more skilled than someone with average talent who has been working at something for years.
    I'm not confused. I just don't believe there is a dichotomy between hard work and talent, I don't believe one trumps the other, I believe they are interwoven, and they reinforce each other. Its like what Ygolo said, the idea of talent is really just a lot of other factors (i.e. love, hard work, dedication, and yes, aptitude, and probably a bunch of other things too really) thrown together in a nice little convenient word. I think acquiring "talent" no matter who it is requires a great deal of study to be synthesized. Hypothetically if I was an absolute "natural talent" at designing lamps or something, it wouldn't mean anything if I've never done ti before. No one just shows up and is great. The "talented" people are also the people who have put in the insane hours over the course of their whole lives, who have really studied what it is they do in order to create something new out of it or extend it in a new direction.

I think too much stock is put in this idea of talent, and not the fact that passion, dedication, and the right education in something goes a long way. I also think creativity can be learned and isn't an innate thing that just magically appears in some but not others. When people train for something and are dedicated to it from a very young age, amazing things begin to happen by the time they are adults. This is why, once again as Ygolo said, Tiger Woods, Hendrix, Mozart, ect were great. If you spent your time from the age of 12 or younger until you were 24 or 25 doing only one thing for like twelve hours a day, you're bound to come up with something new/be better than everyone else. None of those guys necessarily learned faster, they had just done waaaaay more work than their peers, and they did the right work, and they did it when they were young and their minds were still adaptable and whatnot.

If any of that even made sense hahaha

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4/9
    Socionics
    ???

Quote Originally Posted by uncommonentity View Post
    There's no such thing as talent since everything is learnt. Hard work wins by default.
    Couldn't some learn certain skills easier than others?

MBTI
    INtp
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/so
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Quote Originally Posted by GZA View Post
    No one just shows up and is great. The "talented" people are also the people who have put in the insane hours over the course of their whole lives, who have really studied what it is they do in order to create something new out of it or extend it in a new direction.

I think too much stock is put in this idea of talent, and not the fact that passion, dedication, and the right education in something goes a long way. I also think creativity can be learned and isn't an innate thing that just magically appears in some but not others. When people train for something and are dedicated to it from a very young age, amazing things begin to happen by the time they are adults. This is why, once again as Ygolo said, Tiger Woods, Hendrix, Mozart, ect were great. If you spent your time from the age of 12 or younger until you were 24 or 25 doing only one thing for like twelve hours a day, you're bound to come up with something new/be better than everyone else. None of those guys necessarily learned faster, they had just done waaaaay more work than their peers, and they did the right work, and they did it when they were young and their minds were still adaptable and whatnot.

If any of that even made sense hahaha
    I read in the book Outliers that it takes about 10,000 hours of practice in a field to become extraordinary at it.

Talent can only get you so far if you don't also practice.
    INtp
    5w6 or 9w1 sp/so/sx, I think
    Ravenclaw/Hufflepuff
    Neutral Good
    LII-Ne

Quote Originally Posted by Illmatic View Post
    Can hard work help me?
    Yes.