6 18.18%
First 12345 Last

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sx/sp
    Socionics
    ILI Ni

I know talent without hard work doesn't amount to much. I'd say hard work can and often does beat talent. It does relate to how much talent, how much hard work, and what type of thing you are talking about. As has been pointed out, if you can't sing, you can't sing no matter how hard you try.

Please provide feedback on my Nohari and Johari Window by clicking here: Nohari/Johari

Tri-type 639

MBTI
    ENTP

Quote Originally Posted by highlander View Post
    I know talent without hard work doesn't amount to much. I'd say hard work can and often does beat talent. It does relate to how much talent, how much hard work, and what type of thing you are talking about. As has been pointed out, if you can't sing, you can't sing no matter how hard you try.
    Exactly. Obviously, having no talent at all won't do you any good, but if the comparison is between someone with average talent and years of experience and hard work behind him, versus someone with lots of raw potential but without much experience or work put toward developing it, the experience will be a much better asset.

MBTI
    entp
    Enneagram

I meant if you have a talent or a skill in self defense, you are warded against getting beaten up, otherwise c'est la vie
    [URL]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tEBvftJUwDw&t=0s[/URL]

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4/9
    Socionics
    ???

Once in my highschool anatomy class a very sucessful military surgeon (INTJ) came in to give us a talk and his main message was that he believed sucess required only a threshold of intellignece. That you didn't have to be that smart an A student, as he hadn't been growing up, you just had to be smart enough to surpass the "threshold" and that the rest of it was determined by hard work. I think there is a lot of truth to his theory. I would tend to agree that you have to have some level of smarts but mostly sucess is determined by hard work.

MBTI
    entp
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by amerellis View Post
    Once in my highschool anatomy class a very sucessful military surgeon (INTJ) came in to give us a talk and his main message was that he believed sucess required only a threshold of intellignece. That you didn't have to be that smart an A student, as he hadn't been growing up, you just had to be smart enough to surpass the "threshold" and that the rest of it was determined by hard work. I think there is a lot of truth to his theory. I would tend to agree that you have to have some level of smarts but mostly sucess is determined by hard work.
    ouh yes, hey thats the first time I agree completly with you and thats tho I am a grumpy never satisfied old man
    [URL]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tEBvftJUwDw&t=0s[/URL]

A window to the soul

It's possible, I guess. It's tough to say without looking at other factors; such as, work history or a portfolio. A talented person might not have to work hard, but then might not work at all. Futhermore, an untalented hard worker might mass produce a poor quality product.

Looking at quality vs. quantity.

ThatGirl

I think it depends on the effort put forth by the talented person. Hard work can mimic talent as far as results go. If the talented person puts forth an equal amount of effort to secure the same result though, talent wins. Mostly because talent lightens work, and allows someone to achieve the same results with less effort. So while the talented person is only expending little energy, the untalented much more. If equally matched, the talented person will win due to longevity, being more fresh and prepared for times when the situation calls for the above and beyond. Which will be a taxing demise for the untalented.

This has actually been a concern of mine, since my interests tend to gravitate more toward the areas I feel less naturally talented in.

MBTI
    ENTP

Quote Originally Posted by ThatGirl View Post
    I think it depends on the effort put forth by the talented person. Hard work can mimic talent as far as results go. If the talented person puts forth an equal amount of effort to secure the same result though, talent wins. Mostly because talent lightens work, and allows someone to achieve the same results with less effort. So while the talented person is only expending little energy, the untalented much more. If equally matched, the talented person will win due to longevity, being more fresh and prepared for times when the situation calls for the above and beyond. Which will be a taxing demise for the untalented.
    Pretty much, though I'd argue that if they are evenly matched skillwise, the experience and cunning that the hard worker possesses will give him an advantage over the naturally talented person. If it was a kickboxing match, for example, someone who had a certain amount of experience, and had enough raw talent to make up for the difference in experience against an older, physically less able, but far more experienced opponent, would find himself at a disadvantage, since "age and treachery will always overcome youth and skill".

ThatGirl

Well hello.

I think in that case time would contribute to a reduction in talent, as the physical body is subject to depreciation. This would once again even the playing field.

There's no such thing as talent since everything is learnt. Hard work wins by default.
    Veni, Vidi, Cessi.