• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Why is it wrong to oppress people?

Badlands

MBTI Type
INTP
I generally agree with the moral principle "treat others the way you would want to be treated". I personally think the stance on morality you describe is propagated by people who want to be more than human (consciously or not). Paradoxically, they are expressing a human desire in doing so. This is why their philosophy is paradoxical as well. Because we live in a reality where we are human, we have to accept the limits of humanity in understanding all the questions we ask ourselves.

ThatsWhatHeSaid

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
If that is your answer, I will annoy you no more.

I'll say it again. Insofar as people within the movement (who we can collectively call "the movement") ascribe absolute, inherent moral values to things like freedom, and at the same time maintain that moral values are subjective and not objective, you can say there IS a contradiction; however, if this same conglomeration of people are simply saying: "if you like freedom like I do, then think about things THIS way; if you don't, fuck it," there is no contradiction. And, for the last time, since a "movement" is a fiction, like a corporation, you really have to assess the motivation of its constituents. Some people might look at it one way, some people might look at it another way. No one really has ownership of a meme like "post-modernism." One person might say it includes the concepts that freedom is something objectively good, another might disagree. Neither is right or wrong, because, once again, meaning and values (in this case, the meaning of a word) are projected from the subject to the object (in this case, a meme like "postmodernism"). Good luck with your paper.

Journey

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
Good luck with your paper.

Never assume anything. I am writing no paper. The quoting I did was because I am careful to give credit to where I got my ideas. I don't claim that there is anything new under the sun. Also, I am a librarian, which makes me very careful.