• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Cannibalism vs. Murder

Which one are you more capable of?

• Total voters
F

figsfiggyfigs

Lets assume it was a life or death situation.

(Murder)Scenario A: You have to kill someone to survive. They don't necessarily deserve it, but their existence is putting your life, and (possibly) the lives of others', at risk.

(Cannibalism)Scenario B: You're stuck at sea on a raft with a family member. This family member just died of hunger, and you're turn is soon to come. You know where this is going.

Which one do you believe you're more capable of?

Last edited:

Jaguar

That's it. I'm going to get the glitter girl after you for posting this crap. :wink:

jimrckhnd

MBTI Type
INTP
Hrm... I think I'd have to say tie on that one. On the one hand in a combat situations I never hesitated to do my job and while the other guy might not have deserved it - well those are the breaks of the game. On the other hand if I'm starving I'm going to eat what's handy. Palatability issues aside, rationally speaking the fats and proteins from my family member are fully digestible and possess nutritional value: I'd be an idiot not eat them. Now there are plenty of valid social and health related reasons not to be a cannibal but when faced with certain death vs potential parasite problems – well that is an easy choice.

While none of the above choice might be “easy” they are to my mind both very clear. I would do either with equal conviction that they were the right choice.

F

figsfiggyfigs

Hey now. It is a possibly legitimate questions. I just provided scenarios in case people can't think of any. :}

LEGERdeMAIN

I wouldn't wait for the family member to die. It's not wise to expose oneself to the pathogens found on rotting carcasses.

Betty Blue

Let me count the ways
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7W6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Hmmm, putting it this way possibly A,
i think you need to expound.

btw, wft is this game with avi's?

xisnotx

Permabanned
Murder is easy. I've known people who have killed and they are still functioning human beings. When push comes to shove it's actually not that hard to kill another person, I don't think. It's been done in the past and it will get done in the future, and I won't pretend I'm above it. In fact, I would argue that murder is a fundamental part of what it means to be human..(we could get into a semantics argument here, but that's just perspective. One person's "murder" might be another person's "self defense" or "self interest serving action" which might or might not be "wrong", but that's a whole other debate. The fact that it is even up for debate, I think, helps my case.)

Depending on other circumstances ( ie, if I eat this person, am I going to get saved eventually?) cannibalism doesn't seem like it would come easy to me, though again I don't think I am above it. You do what you have to in order to survive. It's kind of life's only rule, really.

Given the two choices, I think murder is "more for me"....

F

figsfiggyfigs

Hmmm, putting it this way possibly A,
i think you need to expound.

btw, wft is this game with avi's?
These are just scenarios. The core question is, which ones are you more capable on. Brush aside these scenarios if they don't work for you.

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
Murder.

I don't like the idea of killing anyone, not even rodents or pests (though I have no problem killing bugs) but I've always thought if it really mattered I could do it.

Eating my family members, not so much. That second scenario bothers me MUCH MORE than the first.

uncommonentity

I think most people will go with murder purely because the option of cannibalism involves a family member. If it were two strangers I could easily drift in either direction.

Mae

MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
5sp
In the scenarios given, I think murder would be easier for me simply because I doubt I'm going to go through the effort of chopping up my family member and eating him or her raw. I mean, for one thing, they're going to bleed all over the place and probably attract sharks. There's a possibility I could grab onto the fin and hitch a ride back to shore, but it's very slim. So, no. Now, if they were served to me on a plate, whole 'nother story. And I'm pretty positive I could kill somebody. Preferably cleanly and legally and not someone I'm relatively fond of, but it is what it is.

ZPowers

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
In the scenarios given, I think murder would be easier for me simply because I doubt I'm going to go through the effort of chopping up my family member and eating him or her raw.

That's true. I would think both scenarios should probably have the "victim" be strangers.

The way you wrote out scenario A reminds me very much of a moral dilemma some characters faced in Breaking Bad.

(Murder)Scenario A: You have to kill someone to survive. They don't necessarily deserve it, but their existence is putting your life, and (possibly) the lives of others', at risk.

funkadelik

good hair
MBTI Type
lmao
I also put my vote in for the the victims all being strangers (or all being family members)...just feel like it levels the playing field and makes our answers more meaningful.

If both were strangers, I'd choose murder. If they were both family members, I'd choose cannibalism.

In your scenario, definitely whatever involves the stranger (so: murder).