• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Does mainstream = bad?

Viridian

MBTI Type
IsFJ
who is Walter Benjamin?

A literary critic. He wrote a famous essay about the work of art in the age of mechanical reproduction and how it created what we know as "culture industry". Look 'im up. :)

Elfboy

Certified Sausage Smoker
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
A literary critic. He wrote a famous essay about the work of art in the age of mechanical reproduction and how it created what we know as "culture industry". Look 'im up. :)

did he host a documentary called "Why Beauty Matters"? if so, I know who he is and I agree with him :D (minus all the references to Plato. Aristotle ftw :solidarity: )
Edit: if not, I'm talking about the wrong guy :yes:

Elfboy

Certified Sausage Smoker
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Ace of Base is as bad as The Partridge Family.

Ace of Base with the new singers is not so great; Ace of Base with the old singers is AMAZING.
you trippin' son

Orangey

Blah
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
6w5
no it isn't. that's like saying it's philosophically impossible to justify wanting to have a bigger house, nicer clothes, better food or a more comfortable bed. the answer is simple, it's more pleasurable

Those are bad analogies. Think harder.

I don't think it's impossible to rank musicians in order of least to most aesthetically pleasing, but my list will be different from most others, most probably.

Exactly, which is why the important word is philosophically. There is no way to "objectively" justify taste. Not even reference to musical structure/complexity is sufficient, because then you'd have to explain why that structure is better.

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
Ace of Base with the new singers is not so great; Ace of Base with the old singers is AMAZING.
you trippin' son

No, you trippin.

Those of us who remember when Ace of Base was new...and who were even in the target age group at the time...realize how much it's like a terrible rip-off of ABBA. I listen to a lot of music, too. A lot of music. My mind is full of a library of 20th century music of all different decades and genres.

But Ace of Bass just fucking sucks, man.

Of course, art being subjective, you might think they're superior to some groups I like.

Which means, we win, you lose, your argument was meaningless, have a nice day!

Elfboy

Certified Sausage Smoker
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Those are bad analogies. Think harder.
Exactly, which is why the important word is philosophically. There is no way to "objectively" justify taste. Not even reference to musical structure/complexity is sufficient, because then you'd have to explain why that structure is better.

actually, if you are talking about vocal qualities or timbre in various instruments, science can prove that certain sound combinations produce a more soothing sound response in humans as opposed to others that are more grating on the ears.

Orangey

Blah
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
6w5
I don't think it's impossible to rank musicians in order of least to most aesthetically pleasing, but my list will be different from most others, most probably.

Don't forget this clown: Adorno is suffering from incontinence of the brain.

actually, if you are talking about vocal qualities or timbre in various instruments, science can prove that certain sound combinations produce a more soothing sound response in humans as opposed to others that are more grating on the ears.

That doesn't say anything about why it's better. Surely some sounds that would count as displeasing or dissonant are used in what many consider to be "good" music.

In (ab)using scientific information, you are confusing is for ought.

Rail Tracer

Freaking Ratchet
Instinctual Variant
sx/so

And so far, the AoB video you have on your profile is grating on my ears.

Randomnity

insert random title here
MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
you trippin' son

lol. I actually like some ace of base songs because they're fun. I would still not call them a good band by any stretch of the imagination let alone "AMAZING". lol.

I don't know why you bother to judge other kinds of music if your standard for liking things is that low. I say that as someone with extremely low thresholds for enjoying music. :laugh:

Elfboy

Certified Sausage Smoker
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
lol. I actually like some ace of base songs because they're fun. I would still not call them a good band by any stretch of the imagination let alone "AMAZING". lol.
I don't know why you bother to judge other kinds of music if your standard for liking things is that low. I say that as someone with extremely low thresholds for enjoying music. :laugh:

because I don't judge the types of music, I judge the INTENT of the music.

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
Let's not forget Hanson and the Osmond Brothers.

I'd honestly rather listen to this song than anything by Ace of Bass.

But what do I know? I'm just one of those plebes who doesn't get invited to the opera.

violet_crown

MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
opera is supposed to be exclusive, it's not supposed to be this cheap, mass produced thing that every simpleton you meet can understand. making an art form popularized makes it people pleasing, thus loosing it's integrity and authenticity.

Poor Mozart just wanted it too bad, I guess. :(

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
because I don't judge the types of music, I judge the INTENT of the music.

wait...wait...how are you so sure that Ace of Bass has some fabulous artistic intention? In what way? I do not glean this from their lyrics. I mean seriously I thought that the lyrics to "All That She Wants" were retarded even when I was a kid. They didn't become any clearer to me as I aged, either, even though this happened with other pop songs...I understood the lyrics better as I became an adult.

I really love some 80's New Wave pop...like I take The Church and Depeche Mode much more seriously than Rick Astley. That may simply be because my own particular world view aligns with theirs better, I don't know. I like some really shallow 80's pop, though. But it's just so great! I love it!

I think Ace of Bass is absolute garbage in comparison. So I'd like for you to list out some bands that you think are terrible, so I can get a better idea of what you think is so lame and for the masses...because right now I'm just in a state of utter hilarity comparing your pretentiousness about music to this new-found insight that you love Ace of Bass.