User Tag List

First 5678917 Last

Results 61 to 70 of 228

  1. #61
    Certified Sausage Smoker Elfboy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Socionics
    SLI None
    Posts
    9,635

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Marmie Dearest View Post
    It's funny that you want to distance yourself from hipsters (many of whom are as elitist about their taste in art and music as your own). It's kind of hilarious, actually.
    There's nothing wrong with high quality and I admit from an aesthetic point of view that some music is obviously more complex than others.
    On the other hand, art makes people feel, they resonate with it, and people express themselves. As long as a person is genuinely doing that you can't objectively say that it isn't art.
    exactly that's my point. I like mainstream stuff that is real and expresses what it truly wants to express. some examples include
    - Lord of the Rings
    - Star Wars
    - Evanescence
    the problem I have is art that is simply there to capture the most peoples' attention and please people at the expense of expressing a real message.
    ENFP: We put the Fi in Fire
    ENFP
    5w4>1w9>2w1 Sx/Sp
    SEE-Fi
    Papa Bear
    Motivation: Dark Worker
    Alignment: Chaotic Neutral
    Chibi Seme
    MTG Color: black/red
    Male Archtype: King/Lover
    Sunburst!
    "You are a gay version of Gambit" Speed Gavroche
    "I wish that I could be affected by any hate, but I can't, cuz I just get affected by the bank" Chamillionaire

  2. #62
    Certified Sausage Smoker Elfboy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Socionics
    SLI None
    Posts
    9,635

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by LEGERdeMAIN View Post
    I don't feel compelled to provide an explanation for something that's so obvious. I was hoping you'd admit that you're prejudiced and elitist, that is all.
    elitist: yes
    prejudiced: no
    I apologize, my last few posts were a little more harsh than usual (stressful times I'm afraid), but the message does remain the same. if you are going to criticize someone, it IS your responsibility to support it with some form of further explanation or proposition
    ENFP: We put the Fi in Fire
    ENFP
    5w4>1w9>2w1 Sx/Sp
    SEE-Fi
    Papa Bear
    Motivation: Dark Worker
    Alignment: Chaotic Neutral
    Chibi Seme
    MTG Color: black/red
    Male Archtype: King/Lover
    Sunburst!
    "You are a gay version of Gambit" Speed Gavroche
    "I wish that I could be affected by any hate, but I can't, cuz I just get affected by the bank" Chamillionaire

  3. #63
    Permabanned
    Join Date
    May 2009
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi
    Posts
    25,301

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Elfboy View Post
    exactly that's my point. I like mainstream stuff that is real and expresses what it truly wants to express. some examples include
    - Lord of the Rings
    - Star Wars
    - Evanescence
    the problem I have is art that is simply there to capture the most peoples' attention and please people at the expense of expressing a real message.
    But I don't like Star Wars that much, or Lord of the Rings. However, I am able to recognize the complexity of these works from a cultural perspective even though they are not my taste.

    I do know what you mean by works of art being more complex or expressive. Rob Zombie's Halloween, as a horror film, has more complexity and depth than the re-make of House of Wax with Paris Hilton. The Exorcist and The Omen? Potentially even more so because of the extreme psychological and spiritual elements of the story line, though Zombie made Halloween much more psych-based than the original.

    I get that much. As someone who loves art and music and literature, I do get it. It's why I can recognize quality even in a genre or work that I can't stand...often, not all of the time, though. Like for example I hate abstract art. I do not appreciate it. I do not think it takes as much talent as painting a highly detailed portrait or landscape, or crafting a particularly fine piece of furniture or a building. However, there are extremely educated people who would think I'm a complete dumbass because I don't like, appreciate, or even really validate abstract art as a genre. I know an INTP with a PhD who seems to prefer abstract art. I can't even begin to fathom why.

    I do recognize when something is more complex. On the other hand, I think Agatha Christie novels are just as valid as art as "high brow" literature, even though she's considered popular culture.

  4. #64
    Senior Member LEGERdeMAIN's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    2,545

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Elfboy View Post
    elitist: yes
    prejudiced: no
    I apologize, my last few posts were a little more harsh than usual (stressful times I'm afraid), but the message does remain the same. if you are going to criticize someone, it IS your responsibility to support it with some form of further explanation or proposition
    Most of your posts were prejudiced bloody-anal-secretions claiming that popular music isn't "real art", you are prejudiced against popular music. It's not my responsibility to cite Webster's when it's clearly your responsibility to know about words and their meanings when arguing that a word whose definition you're not aware of is not descriptive of your attitude.

    Back on topic: Popular music isn't always derivative of a genre, sometimes the pioneers of a genre become mainstream. Does that make their music, which was formerly "real art", somehow less authentic now than it was before they gained mainstream status? I'm anticipating an affirmative answer ---> Elfboy: Yes ---> Legerdemain: Why?
    “Some people will tell you that slow is good – but I’m here to tell you that fast is better. I’ve always believed this, in spite of the trouble it’s caused me. Being shot out of a cannon will always be better than being squeezed out of a tube. That is why God made fast motorcycles, Bubba…”


  5. #65
    Certified Sausage Smoker Elfboy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Socionics
    SLI None
    Posts
    9,635

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Marmie Dearest View Post
    But I don't like Star Wars that much, or Lord of the Rings. However, I am able to recognize the complexity of these works from a cultural perspective even though they are not my taste.

    I do know what you mean by works of art being more complex or expressive. Rob Zombie's Halloween, as a horror film, has more complexity and depth than the re-make of House of Wax with Paris Hilton. The Exorcist and The Omen? Potentially even more so because of the extreme psychological and spiritual elements of the story line, though Zombie made Halloween much more psych-based than the original.

    I get that much. As someone who loves art and music and literature, I do get it. It's why I can recognize quality even in a genre or work that I can't stand...often, not all of the time, though. Like for example I hate abstract art. I do not appreciate it. I do not think it takes as much talent as painting a highly detailed portrait or landscape, or crafting a particularly fine piece of furniture or a building. However, there are extremely educated people who would think I'm a complete dumbass because I don't like, appreciate, or even really validate abstract art as a genre. I know an INTP with a PhD who seems to prefer abstract art. I can't even begin to fathom why.

    I do recognize when something is more complex. On the other hand, I think Agatha Christie novels are just as valid as art as "high brow" literature, even though she's considered popular culture.
    it doesn't look like we really disagreed on anything. still, I don't appreciate you telling me to "grow up" every time you (in this case, think you) disagree with me. playing the age card does not convince me of anything other than that you probably need to fold
    ENFP: We put the Fi in Fire
    ENFP
    5w4>1w9>2w1 Sx/Sp
    SEE-Fi
    Papa Bear
    Motivation: Dark Worker
    Alignment: Chaotic Neutral
    Chibi Seme
    MTG Color: black/red
    Male Archtype: King/Lover
    Sunburst!
    "You are a gay version of Gambit" Speed Gavroche
    "I wish that I could be affected by any hate, but I can't, cuz I just get affected by the bank" Chamillionaire

  6. #66
    Permabanned
    Join Date
    May 2009
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi
    Posts
    25,301

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Elfboy View Post
    it doesn't look like we really disagreed on anything. still, I don't appreciate you telling me to "grow up" every time you (in this case, think you) disagree with me. playing the age card does not convince me of anything other than that you probably need to fold
    But a lot of your mistakes are because of your immaturity or lack of life experience, not just because of simple disagreement.

  7. #67
    Certified Sausage Smoker Elfboy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Socionics
    SLI None
    Posts
    9,635

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by LEGERdeMAIN View Post
    Most of your posts were prejudiced bloody-anal-secretions claiming that popular music isn't "real art", you are prejudiced against popular music. It's not my responsibility to cite Webster's when it's clearly your responsibility to know about words and their meanings when arguing that a word whose definition you're not aware of is not descriptive of your attitude.

    Back on topic: Popular music isn't always derivative of a genre, sometimes the pioneers of a genre become mainstream. Does that make their music, which was formerly "real art", somehow less authentic now than it was before they gained mainstream status? I'm anticipating an affirmative answer ---> Elfboy: Yes ---> Legerdemain: Why?
    no there're not. I'm opposed to art that is people pleasing, shallow and inauthentic, not mainstream. I've already made this distinction and listed a few main stream examples of art that I do like, but I'll list a few more
    - Death Note
    - Gone With The Wind
    - anything by Quentin Tarantino (although this isn't really main stream, much too politically incorrect and but it at least has a main stream audience)
    - The Hangover
    - Horrible Bosses
    I could go on. saying that I hate mainstream everything is NOT the point I was making
    ENFP: We put the Fi in Fire
    ENFP
    5w4>1w9>2w1 Sx/Sp
    SEE-Fi
    Papa Bear
    Motivation: Dark Worker
    Alignment: Chaotic Neutral
    Chibi Seme
    MTG Color: black/red
    Male Archtype: King/Lover
    Sunburst!
    "You are a gay version of Gambit" Speed Gavroche
    "I wish that I could be affected by any hate, but I can't, cuz I just get affected by the bank" Chamillionaire

  8. #68
    Certified Sausage Smoker Elfboy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Socionics
    SLI None
    Posts
    9,635

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Marmie Dearest View Post
    But a lot of your mistakes are because of your immaturity or lack of life experience, not just because of simple disagreement.
    mistakes? we ended up agreeing with each other.
    ENFP: We put the Fi in Fire
    ENFP
    5w4>1w9>2w1 Sx/Sp
    SEE-Fi
    Papa Bear
    Motivation: Dark Worker
    Alignment: Chaotic Neutral
    Chibi Seme
    MTG Color: black/red
    Male Archtype: King/Lover
    Sunburst!
    "You are a gay version of Gambit" Speed Gavroche
    "I wish that I could be affected by any hate, but I can't, cuz I just get affected by the bank" Chamillionaire

  9. #69
    Permabanned
    Join Date
    May 2009
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi
    Posts
    25,301

    Default

    We agree on most points but I still disagree with the attitude you display here:

    You mean, in theory, they're supposed to. truthfully, they rarely do. another thing I don't like is it gets rid of the exclusivity. opera is supposed to be exclusive, it's not supposed to be this cheap, mass produced thing that every simpleton you meet can understand. making an art form popularized makes it people pleasing, thus loosing it's integrity and authenticity.
    Liking something just because it's exclusive is pretty immature, IMO. Some people don't grow out of it. I was actually giving you the benefit of the doubt by hoping that you only see it this way because of your youth. If you were 40 and thought that way, I might actually think less of you.

    I tend to agree with what Leger said:

    Yeah, you're right. If you can't eat Siberian Tiger liver pate and listen to fat Italians moaning to each other without those filthy plebeians getting involved, you might as well stab yourself in the face.

  10. #70
    Senior Member LEGERdeMAIN's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    2,545

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Elfboy View Post
    no there're not. I'm opposed to art that is people pleasing, shallow and inauthentic, not mainstream. I've already made this distinction and listed a few main stream examples of art that I do like, but I'll list a few more
    - Death Note
    - Gone With The Wind
    - anything by Quentin Tarantino (although this isn't really main stream, much too politically incorrect and but it at least has a main stream audience)
    - The Hangover
    - Horrible Bosses
    I could go on. saying that I hate mainstream everything is NOT the point I was making
    Tarantino is mainstream. I understand your point. I disagree that you're able to make the distinction between people pleasing and mainstream. The Hangover? jesus fucking christ, I just wasted at least 7 minutes responding to your posts.
    “Some people will tell you that slow is good – but I’m here to tell you that fast is better. I’ve always believed this, in spite of the trouble it’s caused me. Being shot out of a cannon will always be better than being squeezed out of a tube. That is why God made fast motorcycles, Bubba…”


Similar Threads

  1. Does this movie intrigue fellow INXPers?
    By princesssockhead in forum Arts & Entertainment
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 12-18-2008, 12:57 AM
  2. Bad day - bad bad day.
    By Park in forum The Bonfire
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 05-15-2007, 12:37 AM
  3. Does Eraserhead need a mastectomy?
    By Martoon in forum The Fluff Zone
    Replies: 24
    Last Post: 05-14-2007, 09:18 AM
  4. Bad Decisions
    By labyrinthine in forum The Bonfire
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 05-11-2007, 05:16 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO