First 2345614 Last

Certified Sausage Smoker Elfboy's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Socionics
    SLI None

I don't have an issue with main stream as much as I have an issue with taking things that are complex and unique and watering them down to make them main stream. for instance, the fact that mainstream singers like Josh Groban, Sara Brightman or Lara Fabian are considered "opera singers" is just insulting. making niche interests mainstream strips them of their integrity, standards and sophistication.
    ENFP: We put the Fi in Fire
    ENFP
    5w4>1w9>2w1 Sx/Sp
    SEE-Fi
    Papa Bear
    Motivation: Dark Worker
    Alignment: Chaotic Neutral
    Chibi Seme
    MTG Color: black/red
    Male Archtype: King/Lover
    Sunburst!
    "You are a gay version of Gambit" Speed Gavroche
    "I wish that I could be affected by any hate, but I can't, cuz I just get affected by the bank" Chamillionaire

Yup
    MBTI
    Istj

this is classic.

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

Quote Originally Posted by yakimadude View Post
    this is classic.

Quote Originally Posted by Elfboy View Post
    I don't have an issue with main stream as much as I have an issue with taking things that are complex and unique and watering them down to make them main stream. for instance, the fact that mainstream singers like Josh Groban, Sara Brightman or Lara Fabian are considered "opera singers" is just insulting. making niche interests mainstream strips them of their integrity, standards and sophistication.
    usually when this happens, they are distinguished by putting a "pop" in front of the original genre. Like...pop-rock, pop-country, pop-pop, pop-punk, pop-post-punk, pop-post-pop-punk, pop-post-pop-pop-punk-metal-jazz-fusion..... .... . . . .
    “Some people will tell you that slow is good – but I’m here to tell you that fast is better. I’ve always believed this, in spite of the trouble it’s caused me. Being shot out of a cannon will always be better than being squeezed out of a tube. That is why God made fast motorcycles, Bubba…”

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Socionics
    SLI None

Quote Originally Posted by LEGERdeMAIN View Post
    usually when this happens, they are distinguished by putting a "pop" in front of the original genre. Like...pop-rock, pop-country, pop-pop, pop-punk, pop-post-punk, pop-post-pop-punk, pop-post-pop-pop-punk-metal-jazz-fusion..... .... . . . .
    you mean, in theory, they're supposed to. truthfully, they rarely do. another thing I don't like is it gets rid of the exclusivity. opera is supposed to be exclusive, it's not supposed to be this cheap, mass produced thing that every simpleton you meet can understand. making an art form popularized makes it people pleasing, thus loosing it's integrity and authenticity.
    ENFP
    5w4>1w9>2w1 Sx/Sp
    SEE-Fi
    Papa Bear
    Chibi Seme
    Sunburst!
    "I wish that I could be affected by any hate, but I can't, cuz I just get affected by the bank" Chamillionaire

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

you mean, in theory, they're supposed to. truthfully, they rarely do. another thing I don't like is it gets rid of the exclusivity. opera is supposed to be exclusive, it's not supposed to be this cheap, mass produced thing that every simpleton you meet can understand. making an art form popularized makes it people pleasing, thus loosing it's integrity and authenticity.
    I hope you grow out of this elitism some day. There's plenty of folk music that is authentic, and largely because it completely lacks pretentiousness. It's one of the main reasons why I like folk music from the 60's and 70's, as well as Southern rock.

Folk music or popular doesn't equal inauthentic. That's really oversimplifying things.

Yeah, you're right. If you can't eat Siberian Tiger liver pate and listen to fat Italians moaning to each other without those filthy plebeians getting involved, you might as well stab yourself in the face.
    “Some people will tell you that slow is good – but I’m here to tell you that fast is better. I’ve always believed this, in spite of the trouble it’s caused me. Being shot out of a cannon will always be better than being squeezed out of a tube. That is why God made fast motorcycles, Bubba…”

Yup
    MBTI
    Istj

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Socionics
    SLI None

Quote Originally Posted by Marmie Dearest View Post
    I hope you grow out of this elitism some day. There's plenty of folk music that is authentic, and largely because it completely lacks pretentiousness. It's one of the main reasons why I like folk music from the 60's and 70's, as well as Southern rock.
    Folk music or popular doesn't equal inauthentic. That's really oversimplifying things.
    please read my post more carefully before you resort to condescension and telling me to "grow up". I'm talking about music that is deliberately watered down to appeal to the masses. this is not the case with the genres you've mentioned, I've already made this distinction. also, not all elitist tendencies are bad. wanting to be in the presence of high quality and authenticity does not make you a snob that goes around turning there nose up at everyone. not everyone is a part of this earthy, collectivist hipster nation that so many people scorn me for not wanting to be a part of.
    ENFP
    5w4>1w9>2w1 Sx/Sp
    SEE-Fi
    Papa Bear
    Chibi Seme
    Sunburst!

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Socionics
    SLI None

Quote Originally Posted by LEGERdeMAIN View Post
    Yeah, you're right. If you can't eat Siberian Tiger liver pate and listen to fat Italians moaning to each other without those filthy plebeians getting involved, you might as well stab yourself in the face.
    what?
    ENFP
    5w4>1w9>2w1 Sx/Sp
    SEE-Fi
    Papa Bear
    Chibi Seme
    Sunburst!