User Tag List

First 101819202122 Last

MBTI
    IsFJ

Quote Originally Posted by Burning Rave View Post
    Yes, as in it is a supporter of the system.

If you didn't support the computer, you wouldn't be using it right now... would you?
    But my teachers reach students via e-mail! Am I a bad person? Am I a bad person, BR? *grabs you by the collar and shakes you*

Quote Originally Posted by Viridian View Post
    But my teachers reach students via e-mail! Am I a bad person? Am I a bad person, BR? *grabs you by the collar and shakes you*
    I don't know. Are you a bad person for supporting the system?

MBTI
    IsFJ

Quote Originally Posted by Burning Rave View Post
    I don't know. Are you a bad person for supporting the system?
    AAARGH I AM SO LOST AND CONFUSED AND NON-SUBVERSIVE!!!!!

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4/9
    Socionics
    ???

in response to the title question: not necessarily.

OK, let me phrase it in a different way...

If mainstream stuff largely legitimizes the status quo and the "power structures" of society, does that mean that liking it makes you a supporter of "the system"?

(Can you tell I'm studying culture at my university? )
    As an educated person, I can't believe I'm saying this, but...maybe you shouldn't think so much! :p
    Everybody have fun tonight. Everybody Wang Chung tonight.

Johari
    /Nohari

MBTI
    IsFJ

Quote Originally Posted by EffEmDoubleyou View Post
    As an educated person, I can't believe I'm saying this, but...maybe you shouldn't think so much! :p
    I want to enjoy what I enjoy. But I feel so ashamed...

I really don't think I belong in the intellectual elite.

I want to enjoy what I enjoy. But I feel so ashamed...
    Distaste for the banal comes from growing accustomed to the exquisite. Reading only complex literature, you are easily bored with the simple and obvious patterns of pulp fiction, but it also spoils the fun you might otherwise have drawn from it.

I really don't think I belong in the intellectual elite.
    If you really think it important, you can train your brain into preferring Stockhausen to Ace of Base. Of course, that alone would not make you any more intellectual.

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

Quote Originally Posted by Nicodemus View Post
    Distaste for the banal comes from growing accustomed to the exquisite. Reading only complex literature, you are easily bored with the simple and obvious patterns of pulp fiction, but it also spoils the fun you might otherwise have drawn from it.
    I disagree with this. I was a literature major and I still love Agatha Christie. Of course, I can't read a lot of the crappier mysteries they crank out and sell as paperbacks in grocery stores...Agatha Christie might be on a slightly differently level, and P.D. James is another high quality mystery writer - her books are more like literature than Agatha Christie's even, I don't want to read them sometimes because they're so realistic and depressing but they're great, great novels - but I actually sometimes read Carol Higgins Clark novels which are more pulpy (Mary Higgins Clark's daughter - they both write mysteries, but Carol's are geared toward a younger generation).

Literature is sometimes too serious or depressing or about (more realistic) death and I have to read escapist mystery novels. Of course, not all literature is depressing...there are writers like Henry Miller.

Intellectualism can become pretentious after a certain point. A person can like both. I wonder sometimes if NTs are just naturally more inclined to read academic stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by Marmie Dearest View Post
    I disagree with this. I was a literature major and I still love Agatha Christie.
    There are obviously different levels of distaste for the banal, as there are different levels of banality and exquisiteness. Perhaps you - yes, you - lack the necessary pretentiousness to rationalize your distaste for some kinds of literature into the superiority of those kinds you do like.

Furthermore, I did not intend to say it were an adamant rule that exposure to complex art results in distaste for simple art.

Quote Originally Posted by Marmie Dearest View Post
    I wonder sometimes if NTs are just naturally more inclined to read academic stuff.
    Statistics tell us that men are more inclined to read non-fiction than women.

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

That's interesting that men are more inclined to read non-fiction than women. Very interesting!

Of course, there are levels of non-fiction, too. If I read non-fiction I'm more likely to read something about psychology, Eastern philosophy, mysticism (which some people might still consider fiction), history, or cooking. I'm much less likely to be found reading academic articles, Western philosophy, or any number of things I find complicated or boring, unless someone makes me for a class or work.