12 Last

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

Default What Does This Suggest About the Current Morality Surrounding Economics in the U.S/UK

I'm a little baffled by the Mail Online suggesting that Taylor Swift is somehow uber-generous for buying her own parents a mansion that costs $2.5 million dollars. Big whoop...they're her PARENTS...not some random homeless strangers. 2.5 million isn't even that much money to an extremely wealthy person, anyway, and it certainly shouldn't be where family is concerned in my opinion.

In some cultures people are expected to take care of their parents as they age, in fact it goes without saying in most cultures.

Has our culture become so disgustingly narcissistic and selfish that it's considered GENEROUS for an extremely wealthy and famous young woman to buy her parents a nice house that she can reasonably afford?

Or is this just stupid journalism?

I think it's relevant because political attitudes in the U.S. have become so strange and our culture has become over-individualized to the point of promoting narcissism.

Taylor Swift Buys Her Own Parents A House: Big Fucking Deal

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w8 sp/sx

I have always wondered if the problem isn’t that this new fangled narcissistic attitude was really the problem or if it was a lot older than that. What I mean is that the Industrial Revolution drastically reduced the life span average of Europe and America and the basic layout of western society hasn’t significantly changed since then, people died long before old age, or they were rich enough to support themselves comfortably, it simply wasn’t an issue. Now of course were stuck with a system that has until now never really had to accommodate them. A situation soon to be exacerbated by the baby boomers.

Maybe the media is impressed that upon turning 21(I’m assuming that you have to be 21 to gain access to a trust fund?) she didn’t go on a self absorbed spending spree and did something useful and helpful with it instead of designer drugs?

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

No, I don't think that's it. Traditional Asian culture would have people caring for their parents in a very strict compulsory way, and far East Asians can live to be pretty damn old. Not only that, but people take care of their elderly in places like Mexico, which is a developing country, it's not even some big flashy first world nation with all kinds of excellent medical care and nutrition giving people longer lives. My math professor had lived in the U.S. for 14 years when I took his class several years ago and he STILL sent his mother money in Russia. My ENTJ friend from Russia expressed to me the same desire to be sure his parents were well taken care of, how this was on the top of his list of priorities in life.

So..um...yeah...plus you know, all those nations in Western Europe that aren't the U.K. that have better social programs and less grasping, mercenary attitudes toward money.

Yes, I do think there's a newness to it, because even in the U.S. you see traces of this devotion to taking care of each other in the South still, very much so. My family is very much like that, I watched my relatives take care of my older relatives, and my mother and uncle care for my grandfather.

It's a bunch of crap. More people live alone than they ever have before, there's more loneliness, isolation, and divorce...it's not just about parents and old people. It's a fucking cultural disease.

And the pinnacle of it seems to be anarcho-capitalism, which in my estimation nothing less than a nightmare which will take this country even further into decline. I think it would cause this country to FALL.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    ???
    Socionics
    ????

I think it is just stupid journalism in that case (does there exist nowadays even decent journalism?). That is usually the case when they talk about the celebrities though I would say, every bit of information is presented in a way which does not fit to the actual dimensions.

I don't deny that there is indeed a worrysome development (or already beyond that) in society towards selfishness, but I don't think this here counts as an ideal example where you can say that this is directly related. It seems more like a typical example for how unreasonable big the gap between rich and average / poor people is right now (and which is growing and growing). An average person might probably quickly loose the overview on the actual dimensions. Although in that article it is mentioned:

But given her hefty earning power the mansion certainly wont make a dent in her bank balance as Forbes listed her as 2011’s 7th most powerful celebrity with earnings of $45million.
    I think some people are not totally aware of that fact in the first sight, they are just blinded by the unbelieveable amount of money in comparison to their own property situation. But really, in the first place I think it is just stupid journalism as you say, they just need something to write about to fill their (electric) paper.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by Eckhart View Post
    I think it is just stupid journalism in that case (does there exist nowadays even decent journalism?). That is usually the case when they talk about the celebrities though I would say, every bit of information is presented in a way which does not fit to the actual dimensions.
    Yeah, it seems like the typical gushing over celebrities. That "most generous daughter in the world" line was silly, but the article didn't go on and on about her generosity; the theme was more like, "Look how nice it is to be Taylor or her family! Look how good they have it!" It showed endless pictures of the house, talked about her spending time on the beach and on a yacht, even had to get in a mention of her "long, lean" figure. A lot of this celebrity journalism just seems set up to inspire envy, painting pictures of perfect people with perfect lives. Yawn.

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Quote Originally Posted by Marmie Dearest View Post
    I'm a little baffled by the Mail Online suggesting that Taylor Swift is somehow uber-generous for buying her own parents a mansion that costs $2.5 million dollars. Big whoop...they're her PARENTS...not some random homeless strangers. 2.5 million isn't even that much money to an extremely wealthy person, anyway, and it certainly shouldn't be where family is concerned in my opinion.

In some cultures people are expected to take care of their parents as they age, in fact it goes without saying in most cultures.

Has our culture become so disgustingly narcissistic and selfish that it's considered GENEROUS for an extremely wealthy and famous young woman to buy her parents a nice house that she can reasonably afford?

Or is this just stupid journalism?

I think it's relevant because political attitudes in the U.S. have become so strange and our culture has become over-individualized to the point of promoting narcissism.
    While the title might be sarcastic, in my skim of the article I didn't really notice anything obnoxious, it seemed to be all quotes and/or details of her holdings and career.

So you're complaining about what seems to be a British rag, where the public media is considered to be pretty tabloid-ish in nature, and I agree that they likely see our political views and culture as extremely narcissistic to start with. But this article didn't bother me at all.

Quote Originally Posted by blankpages View Post
    Yeah, it seems like the typical gushing over celebrities. That "most generous daughter in the world" line was silly, but the article didn't go on and on about her generosity; the theme was more like, "Look how nice it is to be Taylor or her family! Look how good they have it!" It showed endless pictures of the house, talked about her spending time on the beach and on a yacht, even had to get in a mention of her "long, lean" figure. A lot of this celebrity journalism just seems set up to inspire envy, painting pictures of perfect people with perfect lives. Yawn.
    Yeah. That was my feeling. It was a pretty tame, non-negative article.
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

MBTI
    entp
    Enneagram
    7w8

Business Ethics is an oxymoron.
    Oh, its
    You

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sx/sp

i think it says that our culture likes reading about little inoffensive blonde christian girls and going aww isn't that sweet.

Yup
    MBTI
    Istj

https://chrome.google.com/webstore/d...gggmmkjgigjnpd celebrity silence app. I love it. no more hearing about jersey shore, the situation, Britney spears, and now Taylor swift. its awesome

it came automatically with charlie sheen on the list ^.^

^He pronks, too! Magic Poriferan's Avatar
    MBTI
    Yin
    Enneagram
    One sx/sp

I was sure by the title that this would be one of Lark's threads.

Quote Originally Posted by blankpages View Post
    Marketing, marketing, marketing.
    Go to sleep, iguana.