User Tag List

12 Last

Epiphany

Default The Absurdity of Certainty

Why is decisiveness or certainty often more valued than accuracy or skepticism? Indecision is frequently viewed as a weakness and decisiveness equated with strength and security. Certainly, there comes a point when a decision must be made, but what advantage does it have to make decisions quickly without considering all of the possible consequences first? A good leader would exercise discretion more readily than swift action, but stupidity and brashness are often mistaken for boldness and bravery. I've noticed that some of the most ignorant people have the most unwarranted confidence in their ill-conceived decisions, and they're the first ones to place the blame on someone else when their shit hits the fan and splatters on everyone else.

MBTI
    Aeon
    Enneagram
    10w so
    Socionics
    LOL

What about an evolutionary psychology approach? On a superficial level, life is risky and without action in the fact of risk, our ancestors wouldn't have survived.
    In terms of the quality and degree of consideration of decisions, this is one of the selection processes that goes into the selection of leaders, but it is by no means exclusive.

MBTI
    INTP

There is a time for analysis and there is a time for decisions. Somebody who can't make up their mind is as bad as somebody who acts first and thinks later. The fact is we must often make decisions with incomplete or contradictory data. Now it is true that the incompetent are very poor at understanding how incompetent they are and the very competent often underestimate their competency. “Fools rush in where wise men fear to tread” and all that. But… as somebody who is in danger at any given moment of paralysis by analysis I have specifically trained myself to be able to make decisions rapidly – it’s a critical skill.
    Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups

insert random title here Randomnity's Avatar
    MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    6w5 sp/sx

It depends on the situation. Some situations call for extended thought to find the best solution, whereas in others almost any decision is better than not being able to decide. Picture a rabbit seeing a fox - sure, he could sit there for 5 minutes deciding the optimal direction to run to escape the fox, and by the time he's decided it's irrelevant because he's been eaten.

But you're right that very rapid decision-making in general has its flaws, just like very slow decision-making has its flaws. Ideally you can find a career etc that rewards your own decision-making style - i.e. probably not a firefighter or something.
    -end of thread-

Epiphany

I understand that particular professions require an immediate response, but most of those individuals are thorougly trained on how to react according to protocol and practice these exercises enough to where it becomes a second nature. There definitely is an element of bravery when someone risks their life in an instant to save someone else.

I'm mostly talking about individuals who have plenty of time to weigh the possible outcomes, but choose not to and stubbornly refuse to alter their decision because they view themselves as "strong" and "decisive" and then everyone else has to reap the consequences of their poor decision making.

It can be applied to many areas in life. There are people who rush to make quick decisions instead of absorbing as much information as possible in order to make the best decision.

MBTI
    INTj

Quote Originally Posted by Mask Manifest View Post
    Why is decisiveness or certainty often more valued than accuracy or skepticism? Indecision is frequently viewed as a weakness and decisiveness equated with strength and security.
    I think rewards are maximized by acting as soon as sufficient information is available, rather than to wait for all the information to be known. Rewards come form taking calculated risks. On average, I think "smart" people are more adverse to risk than they ought to be.

Ginkgo

Are you certain it's absurd?

Epiphany

Quote Originally Posted by Ginkgo View Post
    Are you certain it's absurd?
    If there isn't sufficient evidence to support it, certainly.

Ginkgo

If there isn't sufficient evidence to support it, certainly.
    Lol.

There are people who rush to make quick decisions instead of absorbing as much information as possible in order to make the best decision.
    But you can sit there and absorb more and more information, but who's to say what's the end of that information? Your decision is what says it.

I'm not disagreeing with you. I'm just saying there's got to be a limit to how much information needed to make a decision. And the only person to determine those guidlines is you. Some people are just more snap in those judgments. It's neither a better nor worse strategy at the get-go. What they make of that decision is what makes it a good or a bad.