User Tag List

123 Last

Question How would you deal with the realization that your religious beliefs were false?

Despite of what you may or not believe in, how would you react upon dying and discovering that what you believed in on earth was a fallacy? Let's say your God turned out to be an arrogant, self-righteous, racist chicken. Obviously you'd likely be startled by the news but then what would you do? Bow to the chicken? Rebel against him. Start an uprising. Continue praising your original source of belief? Curious.
    Veni, Vidi, Cessi.

MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    3w2
    Socionics
    SEE

I remember an analogy I read somewhere. We all like music, right? So let's say you LOVE music. You couldn't imagine life without it. It's part of who you are. Purely hypothetically, there's this influx of scientists and their studies all saying that music, it turns out, is actually bad for you. What would you think then? It put religion more into a perspective that I didn't really dwell upon before-- that for some people, their religion is their life.

I myself am an atheist. For me, whether my lack of belief in god would change is a matter of how convincing the evidence is and how much relevance it holds to my life... which at the moment, it doesn't.
    ISTP 3w2 SX/SO

MBTI
    INTj

The rational thing to do would be to suck up to that being for rewards and to avoid punishment, unless there was a better alternative.

A window to the soul

I will bow.

MBTI
    entp
    Enneagram

id opt to not exist even after death. my soul shredded into nothingness, no stream of consciousness. serving this magical chicken for all eternity sounds kind of boring and if thats the only option available to me and of course entertainment, death it is, er spiritual death.

also that whole 500000 virgin thing does not sound interesting either.
    9w?

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sx/sp

i believe all religions are equally bullshit, so my main fear should be finding out that one actually existed and i'm gonna be spending the rest of my afterlife in hell. at least all my friends will be there too.

MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    5sp

MMM chicken. Tasty.

I'm an atheist. The entire supreme deity thing is ridiculous to me, and oddly enough, would be even more ridiculous if I discovered it was true.
    I got my smile from the sunshine,
    I got my tears from the rain.
    I learned to dance when I saw a tiger prance,
    And a peacock taught me to be vain.
    A little owl in a tree so high,
    He taught me how to wink my eye.
    I learned to bill and coo from a turtledove,
    And a grizzly bear taught me how to hug.
    But the guy that lived two caves from me,
    He taught me how to love.

Permabanned

Seeing as I don't have any beliefs about god other than the belief that having beliefs about god is extremely presumptuous, I fully expect to be surprised by whatever turns out to be the "truth".

In fact, I'd be surprised if I wasn't surprised.

Nips away your dignity Fluffywolf's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    9 sp/sx

Considering my belief pretty much pertains that I don't know care what happens after death. I'm alive now and living is my only concern. I'm sure that whatever happens after dying, it either doesn't matter (if there is nothing) or it is a pleasant surprise.
    ~Self-depricating Megalomaniacal Superwolf

Quote Originally Posted by uncommonentity View Post
    Despite of what you may or not believe in, how would you react upon dying and discovering that what you believed in on earth was a fallacy? Let's say your God turned out to be an arrogant, self-righteous, racist chicken. Obviously you'd likely be startled by the news but then what would you do? Bow to the chicken? Rebel against him. Start an uprising. Continue praising your original source of belief? Curious.
    (I'll actually respond to your OP rather than respond to an imaginary question, teehee)

If I thought s/he was a prick, viva la revolucion! If I thought s/he had rather good points, I'd hand in my apology letter essay with a plate of gluten-free, nut-free, sugar-free cookies! (Mustn't make assumptions about food allergies!)
    "The purpose of life is to be defeated by greater and greater things." - Rainer Maria Rilke