User Tag List

First 1234 Last

Senior Member Survive & Stay Free's Avatar
    MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    9 so/sx

I remember coming to a realisation that the buddhist religion was not as perfect or innoxious as most secular fellow travellers or sympathisers make out. That was a bit of a development. Although its not likely to be something that there is likely to be any agreement on, especially among non-theists.

If the above is in reference to me, I am not a buddhist.

If not, my apologies.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx
    Socionics
    IEI Ni

Quote Originally Posted by Coriolis View Post
    The OPs question presupposes some knowledge of the afterlife, while not everyone accepts that there even is one. This makes it hard to answer the question independently. By contrast, in my current earthly life I have already come to see many of my earlier spiritual beliefs as false. My response was to abandon them, and to determine new beliefs through research and reflection.
    This would be similar to my response. I would discard my current beliefs that don't make sense, but continue to pursue truth.

It would be hard to fully uproot what I believe simply though, because I did not form my beliefs lightly. I never blindly accepted anything, and essentially play devil's advocate with myself when examining something I believe. I try and argue against it, and if I cannot, then I begin to accept it as reasonable truth.

I don't jump to conclusions when I come across info that seems to contradict my beliefs either. I just wait, and time provides clarity in either my thinking or in finding additional info, so that I can reconcile the seemingly contradictory info with my beliefs. More often than not, I refine my understanding of what I believe, remove & add nuances, adjust my perspective; I don't toss it entirely aside. Just as I didn't blindly accept my beliefs, I don't blindly accept new info as true; so called facts & logical lines of reasoning often turn out to be questionable & flawed later.

It's like building a house & discovering the roof is flawed. You don't tear the whole house down, you just replace the roof. However, if you discover the whole thing is infested with termites, and that nothing is salvageable, then you may start from scratch. Do I lose faith in my ability to build a house & become a vagrant? No, but I may inspect my next house more carefully & use my past knowledge to build a better one.
    Often a star was waiting for you to notice it. A wave rolled toward you out of the distant past, or as you walked under an open window, a violin yielded itself to your hearing. All this was mission. But could you accomplish it? (Rilke)

INFP | 4w5 sp/sx | RLUEI - Primary Inquisitive | Tritype is tripe

MBTI
    INtp
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/so
    Socionics
    LII Ne

I'm not religious but I don't think I could stand it if I found that life's inherently meaningless.
    INtp
    5w6 or 9w1 sp/so/sx, I think
    Ravenclaw/Hufflepuff
    Neutral Good
    LII-Ne

Ginkgo

Quote Originally Posted by uncommonentity View Post
    Despite of what you may or not believe in, how would you react upon dying and discovering that what you believed in on earth was a fallacy? Let's say your God turned out to be an arrogant, self-righteous, racist chicken. Obviously you'd likely be startled by the news but then what would you do? Bow to the chicken? Rebel against him. Start an uprising. Continue praising your original source of belief? Curious.
    I would open a Chic-Fil-a

ReflecTcelfeR

Quote Originally Posted by Ginkgo View Post
    I would open a Chic-Fil-a
    I'll build a Cinnabon right next to you. Gotta have some sweet with your savory.

Ginkgo

Quote Originally Posted by ReflecTcelfeR View Post
    I'll build a Cinnabon right next to you. Gotta have some sweet with your savory.
    The Kingdom of Heaven is in your stomach.

ReflecTcelfeR

Quote Originally Posted by Ginkgo View Post
    The Kingdom of Heaven will be in your stomach.
    That'll be a great catch phrase!

ThatGirl

Depends on what the new power would expect of me. I think whether or not my beliefs are off or on, I couldn't deny the effect on the world that exists because of it. I may not bend over backwards for some tyrant entity that promoted eternal suffering though.

Certified Sausage Smoker Elfboy's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Socionics
    SLI None

I would look at the rest of the world's major religions and look at which one was most likely to be true. better safe than sorry I always say
    ENFP: We put the Fi in Fire
    ENFP
    5w4>1w9>2w1 Sx/Sp
    SEE-Fi
    Papa Bear
    Motivation: Dark Worker
    Alignment: Chaotic Neutral
    Chibi Seme
    MTG Color: black/red
    Male Archtype: King/Lover
    Sunburst!
    "You are a gay version of Gambit" Speed Gavroche
    "I wish that I could be affected by any hate, but I can't, cuz I just get affected by the bank" Chamillionaire