Certified Sausage Smoker Elfboy's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Socionics
    SLI None

Default Parents who use their children as tools

they make me fucking sick the way they control their children's behavior and strip them of their childhood. the more I look though, it's everywhere
    1) child beauty parents
    2) parents who excessively pressure their children into aggressive sports
    3) politicians and church leaders who use their children as political tools
    4) parents who force their children into celebrity status that wreaks havoc on their psyche (Britney Spears and Michael Jackson are prime examples)
    5) parents who exploit their children's talent's and force them to perform for money

why are some parents so controlling and disrespectful of their children's psychological needs and need for a childhood? it makes my Fi want to blast them with a bazooka
    ENFP: We put the Fi in Fire
    ENFP
    5w4>1w9>2w1 Sx/Sp
    SEE-Fi
    Papa Bear
    Motivation: Dark Worker
    Alignment: Chaotic Neutral
    Chibi Seme
    MTG Color: black/red
    Male Archtype: King/Lover
    Sunburst!
    "You are a gay version of Gambit" Speed Gavroche
    "I wish that I could be affected by any hate, but I can't, cuz I just get affected by the bank" Chamillionaire

Insert Snarky Quip Here Stigmata's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENTP

The root of it all is selfishness, with the reasoning and how it manifests itself being the only difference amongst them.

#1, #2, #4, #5 typically equate to parents trying to fulfill their own desires by living vicariously through their children. Basically, they've typically given up on themselves and act out of a skewed sense of parental compassion and thus genuinely believe their actions reflect their own love for their child, when really they're just robbing them of their sense of autonomy and identity.

#3 exploit children to appeal to the emotions of adults, thus using them as a means of extraction, whether it be for power/social status and/or monetary purposes. I mean, no one dares to go against the children, right? That's the type of rhetoric they use to meet their agenda.

ThatGirl

When TK was in utero I swore I would ride his ass like a Jewish mom (this was before I actually knew any Jewish people). Anyway, he can use a shove as somehow the former translated to him having an overly charmed life and thinking he was the boss of everything. My income, my rules. He IS taking the classes I want him to unless he comes up with a better alternative that speaks to him more >.< But I'll be damned if he doesn't do ANYTHING.

They're tools alright... the parents that is. I thought this thread was going to be about using your kids as screwdrivers and bottle openers... which I am also against.

MBTI
    HUMR
    Enneagram
    6 sx
    Socionics
    iNfp Ni

I totally agree EB. This stuff makes me insane. But I disagree that it is all rooted in selfishness. I do think that some of these parents actually believe they are doing their child a favor. You'll notice that parents like these all have one thing in common: A limited understanding of child development and psychological/emotional health.
    Man suffers only because he takes seriously what the gods made for fun - Watts

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Socionics
    SLI None

Quote Originally Posted by wolfy View Post
    They're tools alright... the parents that is. I thought this thread was going to be about using your kids as screwdrivers and bottle openers... which I am also against
    lol Sensor moment
    ENFP
    5w4>1w9>2w1 Sx/Sp
    SEE-Fi
    Papa Bear
    Chibi Seme
    Sunburst!
    "I wish that I could be affected by any hate, but I can't, cuz I just get affected by the bank" Chamillionaire

MBTI
    iSFj
    Enneagram
    2 sx/so

What's even more common these days is parents/society driving kids academically.

MBTI
    IsFJ

Quote Originally Posted by Giggly View Post
    What's even more common these days is parents/society driving kids academically.
    Reminds me of the Amy Chua case... Shame it was all over so quickly, there were a lot of important issues involved, and I wish I had seen more discussion. C'est la vie.

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Socionics
    SLI None

Quote Originally Posted by Giggly View Post
    and pointlessly too. having a 4.0 GBA doesn't mean anything if you're applying for a state school. at that point, it's just a glorified number. is america inherently like an unhealthy 3 or something
    ENFP
    5w4>1w9>2w1 Sx/Sp
    SEE-Fi
    Papa Bear
    Chibi Seme
    Sunburst!

Banned
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sp/so
    Socionics
    IEI

Quote Originally Posted by Elfboy View Post
    why are some parents so controlling and disrespectful of their children's psychological needs and need for a childhood?
    My theories on this matter:

[QUPTE]1) child beauty parents[/QUOTE]

Psychologically unstable mothers whom have failed within their own pathetic lives, thus use their own daughters as proxy to embrace the glory in live that they never got.

2) parents who excessively pressure their children into aggressive sports
    Over-aggressive fathers whom want their sons to be 'manly' and live up the the traditional male social rolemodel.

3) politicians and church leaders who use their children as political tools
    Assholes whom have little to nothing in the way of morals and do whatever it takes to get social prestige and power.

4) parents who force their children into celebrity status that wreaks havoc on their psyche (Britney Spears and Michael Jackson are prime examples)
    Dipshit morons or ruthless assholes, depends on the individual and their personal reasons for forcing their kids into celebrity status,

5) parents who exploit their children's talent's and force them to perform for money
    Greedy self centered sociopaths.