User Tag List

First 34567 Last

MBTI
    ENTP

Quote Originally Posted by mippus View Post
    America and religion is fascinating. I have the impression that Western Europe is not into churches at all, but probably there is a strong spiritual need. Question is: is the American situation our past or our future?
    Here it seems hard to admit that you are a Christian, nowadays...
    Absolutely. Glad someone else is saying that and not just me for a change

yes there is still a strong spiritual need, at least it's what I find everywhere I go in my chaplaincy type roles. It seems people are much more willing to approach a chaplain to talk over things and get help, support, guidance etc, than to go to actual church. It's strange how I find I get more inundated with people wanting to talk when I'm not in a religious building. Hospitals, colleges, prisons, airports, community centres - they come flocking. But I can spend all day in a cathedral or church and get no more than five or so, sometimes none.
    Ils se d�merdent, les mecs: trop bon, trop con..................................MY BLOG!

"When it all comes down to dust
    I will kill you if I must
    I will help you if I can" - Leonard Cohen

Gotta catch you all! Blackmail!'s Avatar
    MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w8

Quote Originally Posted by celesul View Post
    I generally say I'm atheist by belief, Jewish by culture, and if they challenge that, start arguing. Being an atheistic jew is fairly important to me, and I have no problem telling people that. I do not celebrate Christian holidays, and I don't want to. I'm explain things nicely, but I see no need to apologize for my beliefs. I'll explain as much about Judaism as someone wants (assuming I know it), but I'm lucky I suppose.
    My situation is exactly similar to yours, except than in France, the vast majority of the population is atheist, and the state is almost fully secularized.

The minority of people who still believe in God here mostly are either strong conservatives (politically speaking), or either muslims.

However, my last name isn't Jewish, so that can confuse people. ^.^
    Again, it's the same for me. My last name is celtic (thanks to my father).
    "A man who only drinks water has a secret to hide from his fellow-men" -Baudelaire

7w8 SCUxI

MBTI
    ENTP

I wouldn't agree with that Blackmail... my home territory of Normandy and neighbouring areas like Amiens, Brittany, etc as well as Gascony and the Pyrenees area... lots of practicing Catholics there... I'd say about 35% of France actually says specifically that they're atheist, but my experience says that outside of Paris and other big cities, most people call themselves 'spiritual but not religious', many say they're agnostic, many say Catholic and there's quite a lot of neo-paganism around, druids and new age people and what-not, but by no means would I agree that the majority call themselves atheist...

There must be some national survey about this where we could get reliable figures... lol

edit - oh, here you go: Religion in France - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    Ils se d�merdent, les mecs: trop bon, trop con..................................MY BLOG!

"When it all comes down to dust
    I will kill you if I must
    I will help you if I can" - Leonard Cohen

MBTI
    INTP

It depends on where you live and the circles you run in. Amongst my family and in my home town, Christianity is expected as the norm. When I was in grad school and in theatre, being a Christian was looked on with suspicion. It's entirely contextual. I wouldn't say either side has it harder--it just depends on your circumstances.

I'm a Christian, but I accept that others don't share my beliefs. I don't appreciate it when people assume that if you're a Christian, you must just not be smart enough to have realized it's a load of bull. That's just as narrowminded as Christians that try to shove their beliefs down others' throats.

Procrastinating
    MBTI
    INTJ

Quote Originally Posted by Tallulah View Post
    I don't appreciate it when people assume that if you're a Christian, you must just not be smart enough to have realized it's a load of bull. That's just as narrowminded as Christians that try to shove their beliefs down others' throats.
    Exactly and that applies to "faith" period. Along that line, I said on another thread, the more logical one is, the more courageous faith becomes... definitely not for whimps or sissies. The point was totally missed... not even comprehended... because of the prevailing mindset of the "unfaithful." It seems they view people of faith as gutless bafoons.

MBTI
    ESFJ

I grew up in a pastafarian home. My parents were both fundamentalists, and my brother and two sisters followed them in lockstep. It was very difficult when I eventually "came out." I still remember the day like it was yesterday; at evening dinner on the 5th of April 2008 I let it slip that I had eaten noodles the night before while visiting a friend. (The eating of noodles is considered a terrible sin in pastafarianism, or at least the fundamentalist kind). At this revelation, my mother almost choked on her food and my father stared dumbstruck, horrified and distraught. I eventually admitted that I no longer believed, and hadn't for a long time.

There were some difficult times after that; arguments raged and threats were made, but eventually the dust settled. They have accepted me now, as much as they can do. In fact, my father remains convinced that I will reconvert--he just cannot accept that I do not feel His noodly appendage.
    A criticism that can be brought against everything ought not to be brought against anything.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by nocturne View Post
    I grew up in a pastafarian home. My parents were both fundamentalists, and my brother and two sisters followed them in lockstep. It was very difficult when I eventually "came out." I still remember the day like it was yesterday; at evening dinner on the 6th of April 2008 I let it slip that I had eaten noodles the night before while visiting a friend. (The eating of noodles is considered a terrible sin in pastafarianism, or at least the fundamentalist kind). At this revelation, my mother almost choked on her food and my father stared dumbstruck, horrified and distraught. I eventually admitted that I no longer believed, and hadn't for a long time.

There were some difficult times after that; arguments raged and threats were made, but eventually the dust settled. They have accepted me now, as much as they can do. In fact, my father remains convinced that I will reconvert--he just cannot accept that I do not feel His noodly appendage.
    April 6 2008 is today, dude. Your story would be funnier if this wasn't confusing.
    *You don't have a soul. You are a Soul. You have a body.
    *Faith is the art of holding on to things your reason once accepted, despite your changing moods.
    C.S. Lewis

MBTI
    ESFJ

Quote Originally Posted by Usehername View Post
    April 6 2008 is today, dude. Your story would be funnier if this wasn't confusing.
    Typing error corrected.

There is nothing funny about my story. Have some compassion.
    A criticism that can be brought against everything ought not to be brought against anything.

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by Seanan View Post
    It seems they view people of faith as gutless bafoons.
    "Mindless robots" is closer I think. Or maybe "Brainwashed hippies".
    "I do not feel obliged to believe that the same God who has endowed us with sense, reason, and intellect has intended us to forgo their use." - Galileo

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    9w1
    Socionics
    INFj None

Quote Originally Posted by nocturne View Post
    Typing error corrected.

There is nothing funny about my story. Have some compassion.
    *pats nocturne awkwardly on the back and passes him a plate of lo mein*
    “There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old’s life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs.”
    ~ John Rogers