User Tag List

First 23456 Last

MBTI
    ENTP

Quote Originally Posted by Lateralus View Post
    That would be incorrect. Not all denominations of Christianity believe in the Trinity.
    I view the Trinity as just one more way of expressing the many facets and aspects of the one God. The Hindus have Brahman 'broken down' into many different gods and goddesses that represent his different sides and aspects and the Muslims have the 'al-haqq' idea via which everything that is, is an expression and manifestation of Allah and the 99 names that are used to ponder over his many attributes. I see them as all interchangeable, since they're all utimately trying to get at the same thing - bite size portions to help understand something too vast for the whole thing to be grasped in one.

To believe in One God that has many sides is the same thing, IMO, as believing in the various constituent parts of that God and still believing he's One all the same. I see no difference between unitarians and other faiths in that respect... just different words and traditions for the same thing.
    Ils se d�merdent, les mecs: trop bon, trop con..................................MY BLOG!

"When it all comes down to dust
    I will kill you if I must
    I will help you if I can" - Leonard Cohen

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by Lateralus View Post
    That would be incorrect. Not all denominations of Christianity believe in the Trinity.
    I believe in Neo. Neo is the one.

MBTI
    ISFP

Thank you all for your responses! I never expected this thread to go on for so long.

I feel like I need to clear up exactly what UUism means. If you read a history of it, you will see that it has strong Christian roots. Unitarianism refers to the unity of God (rejecting the Holy Trinity), and Universalism refers to universal salvation. However, UUism as it exists today is quite different from Christianity. It attracts quite a few agnostics, athiests, pagans, as well as Christians and other common faiths. It would be inaccurate to describe it as a Christian denomination, and a real stretch of the imagination to label my own beliefs as Christian.

Its definitely not against my beliefs to attend other religious gatherings. I love going to Quaker meetings, and had a great time at a Baha'i worship once. I even like going to Catholic Mass, but then its pretty easy to sit unnoticed in the back and just enjoy the pretty stained glass and music.

I would have no problem accepting one of these invitations and going to a different church just for the experience. The only problem is that, especially with young adult-oriented ministries, I would be expected to participate and give feedback.

From the responses, it seems like the best approach for me is to be honest about my beliefs from the beginning if I want to become friends with a group. I think the trick is to not make a big deal out of it. I guess I need to work on my elevator speech description of UUism, and stock up on those little informational cards

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Quote Originally Posted by arborvitae View Post
    ...From the responses, it seems like the best approach for me is to be honest about my beliefs from the beginning if I want to become friends with a group. I think the trick is to not make a big deal out of it. I guess I need to work on my elevator speech description of UUism, and stock up on those little informational cards
    I think that is probably the best... with the bold part noted. With a lot of things, I've learned recently that I probably make them far more intense than they need to be. The tone you strike with others will also impact their response, most of the time. Keeping it casual rather than confrontational (even you feel like they are starting to push on you) will only help you in the long run.
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

MBTI
    INTP

FYI I grew up in a UU church. I attended SUUSI every summer for 20 years (stopped when I had to pay for it myself >.<). The whole time, I was an atheist who just really wanted everyone to get along. It was the only church I've ever known that didn't once tell me they were RIGHT and everyone else was WRONG.
    "I do not feel obliged to believe that the same God who has endowed us with sense, reason, and intellect has intended us to forgo their use." - Galileo

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Quote Originally Posted by NoahFence View Post
    FYI I grew up in a UU church. I attended SUUSI every summer for 20 years (stopped when I had to pay for it myself >.<). The whole time, I was an atheist who just really wanted everyone to get along. It was the only church I've ever known that didn't once tell me they were RIGHT and everyone else was WRONG.
    lol... and that's just why all those conservative churches I grew up in kept labeling it a cult. *eye roll, sigh*

I'm inclined to see openness as a positive nowadays.
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

Procrastinating
    MBTI
    INTJ

Quote Originally Posted by arborvitae View Post
    Thank you all for your responses! I never expected this thread to go on for so long.

I feel like I need to clear up exactly what UUism means. If you read a history of it, you will see that it has strong Christian roots. Unitarianism refers to the unity of God (rejecting the Holy Trinity), and Universalism refers to universal salvation. However, UUism as it exists today is quite different from Christianity. It attracts quite a few agnostics, athiests, pagans, as well as Christians and other common faiths. It would be inaccurate to describe it as a Christian denomination, and a real stretch of the imagination to label my own beliefs as Christian.

Its definitely not against my beliefs to attend other religious gatherings. I love going to Quaker meetings, and had a great time at a Baha'i worship once. I even like going to Catholic Mass, but then its pretty easy to sit unnoticed in the back and just enjoy the pretty stained glass and music.

I would have no problem accepting one of these invitations and going to a different church just for the experience. The only problem is that, especially with young adult-oriented ministries, I would be expected to participate and give feedback.

From the responses, it seems like the best approach for me is to be honest about my beliefs from the beginning if I want to become friends with a group. I think the trick is to not make a big deal out of it. I guess I need to work on my elevator speech description of UUism, and stock up on those little informational cards
    Thanks. Back in the day, Unitarian "services" were mostly held in member's homes and were less "worship" based and more intellectual discussions. The Church was also not admitted into the World Council of Christian Churches which was the deciding body for if a church was "Chrisitan" or not... they were denied membership based on rejection of the "Trinity." I guess, along with much, that's changed? and Churches not accepting the Trinity are Christian?

MBTI
    Intp
    Enneagram
    5w6
    Socionics
    ILI

America and religion is fascinating. I have the impression that Western Europe is not into churches at all, but probably there is a strong spiritual need. Question is: is the American situation our past or our future?
    Here it seems hard to admit that you are a Christian, nowadays...
    Vanitas vanitatum omnia vanitas

Procrastinating
    MBTI
    INTJ

Quote Originally Posted by mippus View Post
    America and religion is fascinating. I have the impression that Western Europe is not into churches at all, but probably there is a strong spiritual need. Question is: is the American situation our past or our future?
    Here it seems hard to admit that you are a Christian, nowadays...
    It is here too. It is sad since the country was formed by and on Christian principles. I guess all the authoritarian types just MUST have someone to look down on for a sense of self-worth. Racism, sexism, etc are not PC now so they use the Christians for that. What I fear is a backlash.. the way INTPc looks... with alot of defensiveness from being beaten up and them diggin in... returning to the old ways that put people off. Its just really sad to watch such "open minded" people be so narrow and destructive.

MBTI
    ENTP

Ha. My background is closest to MerkW's, but I'm reconstructionist, not reform, and my mom's family was able to practice Judaism (conservative).

I generally say I'm atheist by belief, Jewish by culture, and if they challenge that, start arguing. Being an atheistic jew is fairly important to me, and I have no problem telling people that. I do not celebrate Christian holidays, and I don't want to. I'm explain things nicely, but I see no need to apologize for my beliefs. I'll explain as much about Judaism as someone wants (assuming I know it), but I'm lucky I suppose. Where I live in the US, there is a large enough Jewish population that people don't assume I'm Christian quite as much unless they are elderly. However, my last name isn't Jewish, so that can confuse people. ^.^
    "'You scoundrel, you have wronged me,' hissed the philosopher. 'May you live forever!'" - Ambrose Bierce