User Tag List

First 12345 Last

MBTI
    FREE

Quote Originally Posted by LEGERdeMAIN View Post
    I suspect that there is no god, I do not suspect that there is a god. What difference?
    There is a subtle but very real difference between the two. One is an active belief that God does not exist, the other is an absence of a belief in God. Consider the two terms like and dislike. People often times use "I do not like" and "I dislike" interchangeably; however, the term "I dislike" literally means that you have negative feels for, whereas the term "I do not like" literally means that you do not have positive feelings for (which could imply neutrality).

Edit: Per usual, what she ^ said.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

A window to the soul

Quote Originally Posted by Jonnyboy View Post
    There is a subtle but very real difference between the two. One is an active belief that God does not exist, the other is an absence of a belief in God. Consider the two terms like and dislike. People often times use "I do not like" and "I dislike" interchangeably; however, the term "I dislike" literally means that you have negative feels for, whereas the term "I do not like" literally means that you do not have positive feelings for (which could imply neutrality).
    That doesn't make sense.

A window to the soul

People often times use "I do not like" and "I dislike" interchangeably; however, the term "I dislike" literally means that you have negative feels for, whereas the term "I do not like" literally means that you do not have positive feelings for (which could imply neutrality).
    Where did you [or she] come up with that?

MBTI
    FREE

Quote Originally Posted by Nerd Girl View Post
    That doesn't make sense.
    What specifically doesn't make sense? (Also, I like to say things like: "I don't understand" or "That doesn't make sense to me" because the connotations are less along the lines of "I think you don't know what you're talking about.")

Where did you come up with that?
    Haven't you ever heard someone say "I don't like it, but I don't dislike it. I'm neutral."?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

A window to the soul

Haven't you ever heard someone say "I don't like it, but I don't dislike it. I'm neutral."?
    Yeah, I'm still not following your logic. You explicity stated "I'm neutral" there and used a "but".

"I don't like" does not imply neutrality. Where did you get that from?

Your statement (below) is skewed because "I dislike green eggs with ham" means the same thing as "I do not like green eggs with ham." (Neutrality is not implied in either statement.)

Quote Originally Posted by jonnyboy
    "I dislike" literally means that you have negative feels for, whereas the term "I do not like" literally means that you do not have positive feelings for (which could imply neutrality)."

MBTI
    FREE

I do not deny that they are often used interchangeably, and saying "I do not like" is often just a way to express negative feelings for something, but If one takes "I don't like" to mean exactly the same as "I dislike" then the statement "I don't like it, but I don't dislike it." can be thought of as saying "I have negative feelings toward it, but I don't have negative feelings toward it." which doesn't make a lot of sense.

Looking specifically at belief again: It is reasonable to assume that a newborn baby doesn't believe in God, since he or she doesn't really believe in anything. However, it wouldn't be correct to assume that a newborn baby believes that God does not exist.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

A window to the soul

I do not deny that they are often used interchangeably, and saying "I do not like" is often just a way to express negative feelings for something, but If one takes "I don't like" to mean exactly the same as "I dislike" then the statement "I don't like it, but I don't dislike it." can be thought of as saying "I have negative feelings toward it, but I don't have negative feelings toward it." which doesn't make a lot of sense.
    Jonny, I dislike Camaros. I don't like their tiny little taillights and I don't like their cheap looking interiors. I'm not joking around. Do you catch my drift?

There's nothing neutral about "I don't like." "Dislike" and "I don't like" do mean the same thing. Can you think of a case where it wouldn't mean the same thing without explicitly stating they don't? I'm talking about giving us an example in a sentence like I did (above). In the example you provided in an earlier post, you explicitly stated your neutral position and used the word "but".

figsfiggyfigs

Can we stop arguing about little terms. He meant Indifference, and caring( in this case, negatively).

MBTI
    FREE

Jonny, I dislike Camaros. I don't like their tiny little taillights and I don't like their cheap looking interiors. I'm not joking around. Do you catch my drift?

There's nothing neutral about "I don't like." "Dislike" and "I don't like" do mean the same thing. Can you think of a case where it wouldn't mean the same thing without explicitly stating they don't? I'm talking about giving us an example in a sentence like I did (above). In the example you provided in an earlier post, you explicitly stated your neutral position and used the word "but".
    I'm not sure what to say to make my position more clear. Yes, most often the two terms are used to mean the exact same thing; but when someone says "I don't like it, but I don't dislike it." the implication is that the two terms do not mean the same thing (at least in that particular usage). My example above was referencing that one particular usage, and not the common one. I regret using that as an example because this conversation is very much off topic; and even though a majority of other people understand what I'm talking about, the fact that there is one person who is so confused means I've failed at communication.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4

Am I to understand (based on a quick skim of OP) that the argument here is that the more empirical evidence we see that God does not exist (that is to say, anything we see that is not God), then the more evidence we have he does exist somehow? Does this theory also apply to fairies, vampires and bigfoot? Does it somehow work the other way? Should I be wary my pet cat exists because I have empirical evidence she does?

And shouldn't ALL things BE God if God exists? God is the original unmade maker, right? So absolutely all things came directly from It (there were no other building blocks available, after all, and if It is the origin of all things all things are of It)? Surely, all matter plays the role of God as being of the creation and composer of the universe (in terms of the Big Bang and events after, which all matter played a part in), which implies every single atom fills the role of "God" to some extent. If absolutely everything is "God", that also implies to me no difference from if nothing was God. Calling it matter or calling it God doesn't change its nature.
    Does he want a pillow for his head?