• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Common Sense

Stigmata

Super Moderator
Staff member
a non-linear concept which varies based on differing cultural and social class related factors, which in actuality makes it entirely relative.

Quinlan

Intriguing....
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
9w1
Kneejerk and gut reaction to things, thoughts that make us feel comfortable and in control.

Hobotastic

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
9w1
Two words that people use when they want you to look more like an idiot after a mistake you make.

Fluffywolf

Nips away your dignity
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
a non-linear concept which varies based on differing cultural and social class related factors, which in actuality makes it entirely relative.

I like!

Also both used and misused as a tool of teaching. Misused most prominently in history, but also on a large scale in dystopian cultures such as North Korea, and on a smaller scale in niches such as religion and atheism.

Yet without the concept of common sense, we'd be pretty fucking lost as a society in which no one person is the same. At least with common sense, people have a sense of direction. They're just not sure where exactly it is headed.

Herd animal behaviour.

Synapse

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Is common sense out of alignment to the knowing, a knowing. Are we talking about sensory perception and intuitive perception, where does emotional and intellectual perception start and end in regards to common sense?

Is common sense like street smarts?

sciski

MBTI Type
NSFW
Enneagram
6w7
Apparently it's very uncommon!

Example: Advice from my MIL--"When you get hungry, it's best to go eat something." Why do I need to be told this?

G

Ginkgo

I think prideful thinking, assuming you're an exception to the rule, that you can break them (or that they don't apply to you) because in your mind you are "uncommon", is antithetical to common sense.

The sense that encourages a logical course of action to a common problem is common sense. I don't think it's necessarily instinctual or "basic". Just because a problem is common doesn't mean it's not complex.

mrcockburn

Aquaria
MBTI Type
¥¤
Enneagram
3w4
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
"If-then" reasoning. Basic logic for the shortest line between two points. I disagree that it's a herd mentality - I think even eccentric ways can be considered "common sense" if they succeed easier than conventional ways.

This differs from common *knowledge* - which is stuff most people in a certain society are expected to know. For example, check your car oil periodically. And sometimes it's needed to wield common sense most effectively.

gromit

likes this
I would say a knowledge or understanding of what is likely to happen in a given situation.