User Tag List

First 1234 Last

Away with the fairies Southern Kross's Avatar
    MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 so/sp

Here all it amounts to is basically more scholarships and grants available for Maori and Pacific Island uni students and incentives for them to train in certain professions (eg. teaching) - consequently there is little controversy surrounding it. But from what I gather it is taken to extreme lengths in the US and that many people aren't happy about it. Can you give some specific examples of how it works there?
    INFP 4w5 so/sp

I've dreamt in my life dreams that have stayed with me ever after, and changed my ideas;
    they've gone through and through me, like wine through water, and altered the colour of my mind.

- Emily Bronte

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx

Unfair. Especially because I'm not black or poor enough to benefit from it. If I was being benefited I would argue afirmative actions are an efficient way to compensate the presumable lack of access to better education.
    -----------------

A man builds. A parasite asks 'Where is my share?'
    A man creates. A parasite says, 'What will the neighbors think?'
    A man invents. A parasite says, 'Watch out, or you might tread on the toes of God... '

-----------------

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4

Quote Originally Posted by Rasofy View Post
    I don't agree. Especially because I'm not black or poor enough to benefit from it. If I was being benefited I would argue afirmative actions are an efficient way to compensate the presumable lack of access to better teachers and schools.
    If your stance is based on your ability to benefit from it, or lack there of, then that in turn renders it void as it's skewed because of bias. Affirmative action seeks to rectify past social discrimination by essentially employing the same tactics, except to the opposite racial group as the original offenders. It basically perpetuates the same root issue it attempts to eliminate, which is inequality.
    "I'm just here so I won't get fined."

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Stigmata View Post
    If your stance is based on your ability to benefit from it, or lack there of, then that in turn renders it void as it's skewed because of bias. Affirmative action seeks to rectify past social discrimination by essentially employing the same tactics, except to the opposite racial group as the original offenders. It basically perpetuates the same root issue it attempts to eliminate, which is inequality.
    Fine points, buddy. I agree with you. I was mostly playing with the fact that I'm biased. I'm just not 100% sure I would have the same opinion if people had an educational edge on me.
    -----------------

A man invents. A parasite says, 'Watch out, or you might tread on the toes of God... '

-----------------

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx

I'm not sure if I got this right but how does it work in US? I wanted to know whether the system is based solely on ethnicity. I ask because In Brazil, in the states where we have this, family income is also a factor to be considered.
    -----------------

-----------------

MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    6w5
    Socionics
    SLE

I think the only way it can be viewed as unfair is if it is assumed that white privilege doesn't exist.
    Artes, Scientia, Veritasiness

MBTI
    STP

Quote Originally Posted by Orangey View Post
    I think the only way it can be viewed as unfair is if it is assumed that white privilege doesn't exist.
    It's sort of like one of those social "uh-huh" "nuh-uh" "uh-huh" anomalies. We could just call it uh-huh action.

FigerPuppet

One evil doesn't justify another. And white privilege is basically non-existent at all levels below the upper middle classes. I'd go so far as to say that a poor working class white kid is more disadvantaged than his coloured counterpart.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4

But at what point can we distinguish between either what or how it exists in actuality and the realistic effects of such, as opposed to attributing negative occurrences in relation to minorities as a by-product of white privilege when in fact it may be nothing more than projection. Affirmative Action is nothing more than an attempt to artificially redistribute power and capital by creating attempting to create some sort of socioeconomic balance, yet all it is employ the same tactics for doing so that spawned its necessitation; In essence, it's zero-sum in nature because it attempts to advance one race at the direct expense of another.

Also, while it would be foolish to deny that for most of american history the bulk of political and social influence was predominantly in the hands of Whites, but if systems like this persist, at what point can we decide that we've restored the balance without it appearing arbitrary? If Whites maintained most of the power in for 400+ years, would that not render Affirmative Action no longer necessary in an equal amount of time in the future? At what point, if ever, can we determine when it's now longer necessary?
    "I'm just here so I won't get fined."

Quote Originally Posted by Stigmata View Post
    If Whites maintained most of the power in for 400+ years, would that not render Affirmative Action no longer necessary in an equal amount of time in the future? At what point, if ever, can we determine when it's now longer necessary?
    It's no longer necessary when there are no more poor minorities. It's interesting to note that between two kids from racially-different families with the same exact income, the black kid will actually have greater opportunities as far as college funding, employment, etc than the white kid.
    “Some people will tell you that slow is good – but I’m here to tell you that fast is better. I’ve always believed this, in spite of the trouble it’s caused me. Being shot out of a cannon will always be better than being squeezed out of a tube. That is why God made fast motorcycles, Bubba…”