Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

Default Degrees of Feminism

I consider myself a feminist, and some people might even consider me quite an outspoken one, but I'm not an extremist feminist...and anyway, I was looking at some old television advertisements, and this was considered the number one most sexist ad in their top ten list.

http://www.adweek.com/video/sexist-a...ar-133391?auto

The weird thing is, I didn't find it sexist. I thought it was sweet. It was more protective, than insulting. Like in my mind I thought it meant the intention was for one's wife to be safe. I can see how some women would find that disempowering, but I didn't think it should have been the number one most sexist ad. There are worse ones out there, like beer commercials. In fact I thought some of the commercials in the thread were sexist, some not so much, like they were just digging. There was a commercial in the top five that was just like an 80's commercial of little girls playing with kitchen and washer and dryer sets. I didn't think there was anything inherently sexist about that one, either.

I'm just bringing this up as a topic because I'm usually very aware of misogyny but I just don't necessarily see it everywhere.

What about you?

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram

Seriously? "When a woman's at the wheel..." isn't sexist? I thought it was hilarious, but yeah, it was totally sexist. The dramatic music and all the hazards she might run into because she's not a good driver because she's a woman... totally sexist. In the beginning of the ad I can also see the aspect you mention, of protectiveness, and I do think that's sweet, but come on. "When a woman's at the wheel" is just... I mean, it's the kind of thing I'd expect to see on a fake SNL commercial, it's so out there.

I think feminism gets a bad rap because a handful of seriously outrageous idealogues get set up as strawmen (strawwomen?) and are then attacked as if they represent all feminists. I've been a stay-at-home mom for most of my adult life, loved being pregnant and having babies and being literally tied to them and nursing them, and even now I only work part time and am otherwise supported by my husband, but I don't back away from the term "feminist" because some people have decided it means "man-hating hairy hosebeast."

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram

BTW, there's one commercial up there that I LOVE, the "Mayhem" commercial where he's a teen girl in an SUV. I mean, yeah, I guess it's kind of sexist, but I still love it.

MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    6w5
    Socionics
    SLE

Quote Originally Posted by Ivy View Post
    Seriously? "When a woman's at the wheel..." isn't sexist? I thought it was hilarious, but yeah, it was totally sexist. The dramatic music and all the hazards she might run into because she's not a good driver because she's a woman... totally sexist. In the beginning of the ad I can also see the aspect you mention, of protectiveness, and I do think that's sweet, but come on. "When a woman's at the wheel" is just... I mean, it's the kind of thing I'd expect to see on a fake SNL commercial, it's so out there.
    Agreed. It's so egregious that it's hilarious.

I think feminism gets a bad rap because a handful of seriously outrageous idealogues get set up as strawmen (strawwomen?) and are then attacked as if they represent all feminists. I've been a stay-at-home mom for most of my adult life, loved being pregnant and having babies and being literally tied to them and nursing them, and even now I only work part time and am otherwise supported by my husband, but I don't back away from the term "feminist" because some people have decided it means "man-hating hairy hosebeast."
    Yeah, that's why I hate it when people who ought (for all intents and purposes) be classified as feminists refuse the label. They (and of course the detractors of feminism) are just reacting to the unfortunately pervasive Straw Feminist trope. Which IMO is pathetically stupid.
    Artes, Scientia, Veritasiness

MBTI
    INTP

The tire commercial is totally sexist. All the flashing images of construction, signs, etc, and her wide-eyed apprehension, coupled with the suspenseful music, then the slogan, "When a woman's at the wheel?" It's a wee bit insulting, as if a poor woman's brain can't handle all the stresses of the road and is much likely to be overwhelmed and veer into traffic or something.
    Something Witty

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram

I probably would have loved that "Rosepetal Cottage" when I was a kid, too. Then again, my son's favorite center in pre-K was the "housekeeping center." It just wasn't made of pink and lavender vomit, it was made of wood. The sexism is that toy marketing is so completely divided into "GIRL TOYS" and "BOY TOYS" instead of just making wholesome toys all kids can play with. IME, boys like to play house too, but nobody markets houseplay toys to boys.

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

Oh I don't back away from the term feminist either...that was just my genuine reaction to that commercial, but I guess I can see what you mean, that it implies that women are bad drivers. I thought it just meant you want to keep your wife safe and I know some women are offended by the idea of a man being protective of them.

The SUV one is cute, I agree. Some of the others, not so much. I really thought the Bud Light commercial was the worst...no wait, it's tied with the one for Axe body spray.

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by Marmie Dearest View Post
    Oh I don't back away from the term feminist either...that was just my genuine reaction to that commercial, but I guess I can see what you mean, that it implies that women are bad drivers. I thought it just meant you want to keep your wife safe and I know some women are offended by the idea of a man being protective of them.

The SUV one is cute, I agree. Some of the others, not so much. I really thought the Bud Light commercial was the worst...no wait, it's tied with the one for Axe body spray.
    I really don't mind protectiveness. I do think it's sweet and I like it when my husband is protective of me. I'm protective of him, too, though- I want him to be safe, so I want him to have good tires on his car, too.

The Dodge commercial literally makes me grind my teeth. I only see like seven commercials there, and there's no Bud Light or Axe ones, can you link those?

Edit: NVM! I see you posted it.

MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    6w5
    Socionics
    SLE

Quote Originally Posted by Marmie Dearest View Post
    I thought it just meant you want to keep your wife safe
    Well, yes, from themselves. Behind the wheel. LMAO!
    Artes, Scientia, Veritasiness