User Tag List

First 789101119 Last

Results 81 to 90 of 276

  1. #81
    RETIRED CzeCze's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    MBTI
    GONE
    Posts
    9,051

    Default

    I LOL'ed for real. It's funny because it's so over the top, not because it's true. What's true is that people still think today that women are bad drivers. Especially the Asian women. They're the worst.

    I didn't watch the whole commercial, but I was guessing the lone woman driver was going to pick up her hubby who would then confidently take his rightful place at the wheel.

    It's extremely patronizing. Lots of stuff that could be considered sexist or racist or [fill in the blanks] is merely a matter of degrees and gradation, not of form.

    LOLing again.

    Also, apparently I am a man hater and the most vocal man-hating feminist on the forum, so if you have any questions about man-hating feminism, please throw them my way. Wait, no, I'm gonna save you the trouble and make my own thread now.
    “If you want to tell people the truth, make them laugh, otherwise they'll kill you.” ― Oscar Wilde

    "I'm outtie 5000" ― Romulux

    Johari/Nohari

  2. #82
    violaine
    Guest

    Default

    @ OP. I would label myself a human-ist, in the sense that I value both the female and male perspective. I just feel men and women are different but neither are worth more or less. We need each other to survive as a species. And, I love men.

    Having said that, I found the ads annoying. I don't know if it offends me as a woman or just as someone who dislikes the boring, outdated past and cliche jokes. It's prob more that I found them unoriginal. I don't identify with the women portrayed in these kinds of ads. I'm not a large person but I've never played helpless. Ugh, it riles me when I see women doing that. It's lame. Nor am I a nag.

    What bothers me about these ads is that they become part of the collective consciousness. They get in. (In the same way that those super photoshopped faces in fashion mags bother me. They aren't an accurate representation but they gradually become adopted as a norm.) You might not notice til some guy is threatened by the fact that you can take care of yourself. His idea of femininity is helplessness. (Or nagging.) He can't understand that you need him because you love him, not because of things he can do for you that you can't do for yourself. FTR, I'm also appalled by those ads that make men out to be stupid oafs that need a woman to make everything right. I guess I'm just not a very easy person to market to. :-)

  3. #83
    Senior Member Helios's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    MBTI
    INTP
    Posts
    273

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Orangey View Post
    Sociology and psychology also have to take into account historical context in their disciplinary approaches. Not to mention that (especially in the case of sociology) there are whole areas of inter-disciplinary work that involve history. To divorce history from ANY academic discipline in the humanities or social sciences is naive.
    I'm not "divorcing" a subject from any other, nor denying the value of inter-disciplinary research. This is not inconsistent with anything I've said above.

    Quote Originally Posted by Orangey View Post
    There is no such thing as "generic feminism," so I'm going to have to insist that you define what you mean by the term.
    How can you say that "generic Feminism" doesn't exist when you're unaware of how your interlocutor is defining the term?

    I'd define generic Feminism as something like the following:


    The position that women ought to enjoy equality (principally legal, social and economic) with men + {miscellaneous propositions}.

    It is the latter part of the definition which leads me to reject Feminism, and is usually populated with claims like "There ought to be women only spaces on university campuses", ""Rape culture" exists", "There would never have been any war had women had as much influence as men in the past", "20% of women on university campuses (in the United States) will be raped", etc.

    Importantly, I believe that when someone identifies as a Feminist, they in fact assent to generic Feminism so defined.


    Quote Originally Posted by Orangey View Post
    Well no shit. Don't dodge the question.
    I did not dodge the question. Your remark suggested that I had been misunderstood, and thus I sought to clarify my comment.

  4. #84
    Senior Member Helios's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    MBTI
    INTP
    Posts
    273

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Marmie Dearest View Post
    Let me explain something all of you uptight upper-middle class NT academics: my manner of speaking IS HOW I TALK. It has nothing to do with being emotional, it is how I speak. I do not believe in altering my speech to conform to a bland grad school standard to suit you, or anyone else. But especially people like yourself, who seem to think there's something inherently superior about choosing words which are "politically correct."
    I am not being "politically correct" when I elect to talk to you politely; it's unfortunate that you've been unwilling to extend that same courtesy to me. I submit that if this is "the way you talk" you ought to talk differently, and presenting yourself as some kind of grammatical proletarian in defence is rather strange. Regardless, know that swearing at me again will lead to the end of our exchange.

    Quote Originally Posted by Marmie Dearest View Post
    To answer your questions, I think you are a revisionist because you refuse to examine how feminism began as very real conditions in society.
    You're using "revisionist" idiosyncratically; "revisionist" doesn't usually mean someone who refuses to examine something. Nevertheless, you seem to be labouring the point: I've already addressed your queries via-a-vis history. Moreover, I'm unsure how understanding how Feminism began will lead me to accept it now-I don't need to know the origins of antisemitism or the flat-earth theory in order to reject either.

  5. #85
    Permabanned
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    MBTI
    xkcd
    Enneagram
    9w1 sx/sp
    Socionics
    INT_
    Posts
    10,733

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by CzeCze View Post
    Also, apparently I am a man hater and the most vocal man-hating feminist on the forum, so if you have any questions about man-hating feminism, please throw them my way. Wait, no, I'm gonna save you the trouble and make my own thread now.
    Good, because I have a lottttttt of questions!

  6. #86
    Permabanned
    Join Date
    May 2009
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi
    Posts
    25,301

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Helios View Post
    I am not being "politically correct" when I elect to talk to you politely; it's unfortunate that you've been unwilling to extend that same courtesy to me. I submit that if this is "the way you talk" you ought to talk differently, and presenting yourself as some kind of grammatical proletarian in defence is rather strange. Regardless, know that swearing at me again will lead to the end of our exchange.
    Oh boy I'd be so devastated if you stopped talking. Not only that, but I'm not sure on what planet condescending is polite.



    You're using "revisionist" idiosyncratically; "revisionist" doesn't usually mean someone who refuses to examine something. Nevertheless, you seem to be labouring the point: I've already addressed your queries via-a-vis history. Moreover, I'm unsure how understanding how Feminism began will lead me to accept it now-I don't need to know the origins of antisemitism or the flat-earth theory in order to reject either.
    Well that's because the flat earth can be disproved by scientific fact, and it's considered in poor taste to hate on other people for their races, especially since we're all about 98% genetically similar, every single last one of us humans - again, can be easily disproven with scientific fact.

    On the other hand, the ignorance in your perspective is that if you don't understand the origins, you'll never understand where these social ills sprang from in the first place, and without doing so, I don't think you're making an informed decision at all, just one that suits you.

    You still haven't explained your position with a valid argument. This is all striking me as pretty pseudo-intellectual and pretentious to be honest with you.

    Using big words don't make you smrt.

  7. #87
    Senior Member jimrckhnd's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    MBTI
    INTP
    Posts
    455

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Helios View Post
    Regardless, know that swearing at me again will lead to the end of our exchange.


    Dude... that is quite the threat!

    I hope she can deal with the heartbreak and loss.
    Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups

  8. #88
    Senior Member Helios's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    MBTI
    INTP
    Posts
    273

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Marmie Dearest View Post
    Oh boy I'd be so devastated if you stopped talking. Not only that, but I'm not sure on what planet condescending is polite.
    If you find dialoguing with me unpleasant, you're not obliged to continue. I don't agree that I have been condescending.

    Quote Originally Posted by Marmie Dearest View Post
    Well that's because the flat earth can be disproved by scientific fact, and it's considered in poor taste to hate on other people for their races, especially since we're all about 98% genetically similar, every single last one of us human - again, can be easily disproven with scientific fact.
    You've appeared to miss the point of me mentioning these positions: they serve to show that one (usually, at least) needn't know the origins of x in order to reject x.

    Quote Originally Posted by Marmie Dearest View Post
    On the other hand, the ignorance in your perspective is that if you don't understand the origins, you'll never understand where these social ills sprang from in the first place, and without doing so, I don't think you're making an informed decision at all, just one that suits you.
    This relates to the above: it is reasonable to suppose, I think, that one (usually, at least) needn't know the origins of x in order to reject x. An antisemite could just as easily say to you that you cannot reject her position until you are fully conversant with the history of antisemitism. Clearly, that is nonsense: as you make clear, antisemitism can be disparaged and disapproved of without any inquiry into its beginnings. Equally, I dont see why I need to be familiar with Feminisms's origins in order to reject it.

    Quote Originally Posted by Marmie Dearest View Post
    You still haven't explained your position with a valid argument. This is all striking me as pretty pseudo-intellectual and pretentious to be honest with you.
    c.f. my exchange with another poster in this thread for why I reject Feminism.

    Quote Originally Posted by Marmie Dearest View Post
    Using big words don't make you smrt.
    Noted.

  9. #89
    Permabanned
    Join Date
    May 2009
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi
    Posts
    25,301

    Default

    He doesn't seem to grasp the concept that words are just words and that no dialect is superior to another, that language is a fluid thing that changes with society and that it's nothing more than a tool for communication, though it can be used artistically. His insistence that I speak his preferred dialect or be entirely disregareded hints at how bourgeious he really is, once again not surprising in an anti-feminist. My insistence that I speak with my own word choice is seen by him as "strange," apparently because he lives in an Ivory Tower.

    All of this ought to ought to finger wagging also indicates a strange level of Fe for an INTP.

  10. #90
    Senior Member Helios's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    MBTI
    INTP
    Posts
    273

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jimrckhnd View Post
    Dude... that is quite the threat!

    I hope she can deal with the heartbreak and loss.
    It wasn't a threat, but an explanation of what the consequences of an action will be. It was no more threatening than saying "If you turn that tap on, water will flow out."

    I didn't imply that my interlocutor would be upset if she stopped talking to me.

Similar Threads

  1. Enneagram: degree of frequency of the differents variants.
    By Speed Gavroche in forum Enneagram
    Replies: 60
    Last Post: 11-29-2017, 05:51 PM
  2. Testing your degree of Trumpness
    By Typh0n in forum Online Personality Tests
    Replies: 28
    Last Post: 07-24-2017, 08:38 AM
  3. Works of fiction and feminism
    By Viridian in forum Philosophy and Spirituality
    Replies: 48
    Last Post: 09-21-2011, 10:29 PM
  4. To those who identify with some aspect(s) of feminism....
    By Qre:us in forum Politics, History, and Current Events
    Replies: 194
    Last Post: 08-13-2010, 06:47 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO