User Tag List

First 18262728

MBTI
    INTj

Quote Originally Posted by Engineer View Post
    But all this deconstruction and point-finding really isn't going to change my personal belief either. I don't think either of us can claim to be more right than the other, since this issue is pretty much one of "this is how I see it" and not one of "indisputable fact."
    When there is disagreement, the more consistent perspective is the "better" one. Science has spoken.

Changing an opponent's mind is of minor importance compared to convincing the group that has the power of enforcement. In the context of homosexuality, gays probably couldn't care less whether you approve or not, unless you had the sway to change collective values. That's where debate is useful.

MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    6w5
    Socionics
    SLE

Quote Originally Posted by Not_Me View Post
    When there is disagreement, the more consistent perspective is the "better" one. Science has spoken.

Changing an opponent's mind is of minor importance compared to convincing the group that has the power of enforcement. In the context of homosexuality, gays probably couldn't care less whether you approve or not, unless you had the sway to change collective values. That's where debate is useful.
    Exactly.
    Artes, Scientia, Veritasiness

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sx/sp
    Socionics
    INTj

Oh, I agree absolutely.
    In this context, however (a forum inhabited by about 50 regulars, give or take) there's nothing we can change, aside from a meager vote, if that is allowed us. Unless one of us is a United States congressperson, there's basically no point in trying to prove one point is better than another... If this were the real world, absolutely the most consistent opinion would and should be victorious, but as far as this forum goes, it's personal opinion all the way.

I happen to agree with Orangey's overall opinion, mind you. I just objected to the usage by another poster of the word "homophobia." Because in my opinion the word "homophobe" is overused, and is often applied to those who don't necessarily fit the bill of a person who is "contemptuous" or "strongly averse" to gays. My thinking that it's overused doesn't change the fact that I agree with him, so you can put away your stakes and kindling, I'm no witch.

Besides that minor point, in the big issue (gay rights) does it really matter what the definition of homophobe is? So long as gays gain equal status as other citizens, does it matter that all people who feel any degree of disapproval toward their stance are inaccurately labeled as being as bad as a KKK analog? The whole term smacks of "you're ignorant" and does not promote understanding, which is exactly what is needed when trying to make progress in this arena.

Just saying.

(I wish to apologize to the chagrined mods, as I am so heartily at fault for this continued derailing of a thread on feminism... My deepest regrets. )
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Ego Reparate; Ob Me Non Deficiat.
    INTJ - RCOEI - sx/sp/so - Tritype: 683 (6w5-8w9-3w4) - True Neutral
    "Yeah, wisdom always chooses/These black eyes and these bruises"
    "Over the heartache that they say/Never completely goes away..."

MBTI
    INTj

Quote Originally Posted by Engineer View Post
    Oh, I agree absolutely.
    In this context, however (a forum inhabited by about 50 regulars, give or take) there's nothing we can change, aside from a meager vote, if that is allowed us. Unless one of us is a United States congressperson, there's basically no point in trying to prove one point is better than another... If this were the real world, absolutely the most consistent opinion would and should be victorious, but as far as this forum goes, it's personal opinion all the way.
    Postings on a forum is communicated to far more people than real life conversations. If it makes sense to challenge uninformed opinions in real life, why should it not be done in a forum?

figsfiggyfigs

Quote Originally Posted by Fluffywolf View Post
    I wonder what women were like before feminism.
    depressed.

If it makes sense to challenge uninformed opinions in real life, why should it not be done in a forum?
    Because it hurts our feelings.

In real life our central nervous system is on the inside but on the internet our central nervous system is on the outside and vibrates to the slightest touch. So we need to learn to touch one another with the greatest delicacy.