User Tag List

First 162425262728 Last

MBTI
    3h50
    Socionics
    ILE

Quote Originally Posted by Helios View Post
    There's no moralising here. I'm simply no more interested in discussing the acceptability of homophobia than I am the truthfulness of the flat Earth theory. There are some positions which ought to be rejected prima facie, such is their odiousness or foolishness. All they then deserve is to be ridiculed.
    You think the Earth is an oblate spheroid? How... four-dimensional of you.

Quote Originally Posted by Orangey View Post
    I've known a couple of people, for instance, that have gay friends and acquaintances but who, when asked about gay political issues, would say something heinous like, "I have no problem with them personally, but I just don't want their type of lifestyle to be shoved down my throat."
    Lifestyle. I wonder how many years before that word is nixed when discussing homosexuals. Some people might not want my heterosexual 'lifestyle' shoved down their throat.

Anew Leaf

Quote Originally Posted by Rasofy View Post
    Do you all know when this kind of ad will disappear?
    ...once women stop caring about these type of jokes.
    Meanwhile, let me share a joke about women using computers.

MINUTES LATER....

LOL!

That is totally what would happen with me and my ENFP mom at work. She'd be alone with the computer for 5 minutes and then I'd hear, "Saturned... um the computer DID STUFF AND IT WASNT ME!!!" And I would peek around the monitor to 30 IE windows open because it didn't load instantly when she clicked it the first 20 times.... and a pac man game up... and ebay listings... and yeah. Good times actually. I kind of miss being the IT girl at work now.

MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    6w5
    Socionics
    SLE

Quote Originally Posted by Jaguar View Post
    I wonder how many years before that word is nixed when discussing homosexuals.
    However many years it takes for people to realize that people do not elect to be homosexuals out of some sort of pathology.
    Artes, Scientia, Veritasiness

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

Quote Originally Posted by Rasofy View Post
    Do you all know when this kind of ad will disappear?
    ...once women stop caring about these type of jokes.
    Meanwhile, let me share a joke about women using computers.

MINUTES LATER....

There are differences between men and women, and that often even extends to the mind (the female corpus callosum connects the left and right side of the brain more closely than in the male brain...other things have been linked to a "male" brain, like that finger test, and of course hormones will make us have slightly different behaviors, too, no matter what) and if you add that to differences in socialization...men and women are probably always going to make fun of each other to some extent.

On the other hand, it doesn't have to be so childishly "girls r dumb lulz" because we all know that just isn't true, on average.

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

Quote Originally Posted by Saturned View Post
    LOL!

That is totally what would happen with me and my ENFP mom at work. She'd be alone with the computer for 5 minutes and then I'd hear, "Saturned... um the computer DID STUFF AND IT WASNT ME!!!" And I would peek around the monitor to 30 IE windows open because it didn't load instantly when she clicked it the first 20 times.... and a pac man game up... and ebay listings... and yeah. Good times actually. I kind of miss being the IT girl at work now.
    Yeah I didn't even take that joke as sexist. My very first thought was "people make fun of the older generation for not knowing how to work computers as well."

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Orangey View Post
    I suppose one would only argue that it is NOT homophobic IF they thought that some anti-gay marriage positions were defensible. Hence your example with the color red. If you really think that your example is analogous to the gay marriage issue, then you must think that anti-gay marriage positions are as understandable and acceptable as someone preferring another color.
    Yes, the analogy with preferring red is flawed. People who disagree with another's preferences in color, food, music, etc. don't usually use this as a basis for considering the other person bad, evil, immoral, or less deserving of respect. It is seen simply as an example of how people are different. Even if I have no liking for red, I would consider it perfectly acceptable for someone else to like it. The analogous position regarding gays would be, "I have no interest in gay relationships/activities, but it's fine for those who do." Unfortunately, attitudes toward gays by those who are not can be much more intolerant.
    I've been called a criminal, a terrorist, and a threat to the known universe. But everything you were told is a lie. The truth is, they've taken our freedom, our home, and our future. The time has come for all humanity to take a stand...

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sx/sp
    Socionics
    INTj

Quote Originally Posted by Helios View Post
    This is a common misconception: the term doesn't necessarily imply a fear of homosexuals or homosexuality, and can (lexically) mean an irrational hatred, etc.:

"irrational fear of, aversion to, or discrimination against homosexuality or homosexuals" (source)

"unreasoning fear of or antipathy toward homosexuals and homosexuality." (source)

"1. Fear of or contempt for lesbians and gay men." (source)

"an extreme and irrational aversion to homosexuality and homosexual people." (source)
    Well, thanks for finding all those sources to prove my point, my friend. All of those definitions say "fear of" or "aversion to" which is, boiled down to it... fear. My point still stands. Not everyone who dislikes or disapproves homosexual behavior is a homophobe.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Ego Reparate; Ob Me Non Deficiat.
    INTJ - RCOEI - sx/sp/so - Tritype: 683 (6w5-8w9-3w4) - True Neutral
    "Yeah, wisdom always chooses/These black eyes and these bruises"
    "Over the heartache that they say/Never completely goes away..."

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram

They say "fear of OR aversion to," and I don't think you could argue that people described as homophobic don't have an aversion to homosexuality. They don't also have to be afraid of it.

ho·mo·pho·bi·a
    n.
    1. Fear of or contempt for lesbians and gay men.
    2. Behavior based on such a feeling.