User Tag List

First 111920212223 Last

Results 201 to 210 of 276

  1. #201
    nee andante bechimo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    8,028

    Default

    In my opinion, as long as the legal framework ensures equal rights for everyone, the social aspects are kind of moot to me. I do not support any form of compensatory law.

  2. #202
    Senior Member Survive & Stay Free's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    9 so/sx
    Posts
    21,669

    Default

    I dont think the identification of feminism by waves is as accurate as identification by ideologies, liberal, radical, socialist, conservative, nationalist, anarcha, libertarian and finally post-feminism.

  3. #203
    my floof is luxury Wind Up Rex's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    853 sx/sp
    Posts
    4,981

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Marmie Dearest View Post
    What you say you don't identify with is Second Wave Feminism, Third Wave Feminism encompasses varying race, socio-economic and other issues as well as gender equality.
    Hence me saying "historically" in my comment.

    I think it's really sad that people think Second Wave Feminism is what feminism is, in its entirety. It's not about middle class white women and butch dykes who hate men and think all heterosexual sex is rape.
    Meh. What's sad is the fact that a movement purporting to speak for the rights of all women took nearly a century to even take into consideration the issues that actually affect most women, and then expects us to rush to pick up t-shirts when they do. Fuck Feminism.
    And so long as you haven’t experienced this: to die and so to grow,
    you are only a troubled guest on the dark earth

  4. #204
    ^He pronks, too! Magic Poriferan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    MBTI
    Yin
    Enneagram
    One sx/sp
    Posts
    13,911

    Default

    I think third wave feminism is flawed because it lacks a foundation or enthusiasm. If you look up the waves of feminism, you'll get two clear descriptions and then something along the lines of muttering and shrugging.

    I am on the fence about the place of sex work and the sexualization of women in feminism.
    Go to sleep, iguana.


    _________________________________
    INTP. Type 1>6>5. sx/sp.
    Live and let live will just amount to might makes right

  5. #205
    Permabanned
    Join Date
    May 2009
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi
    Posts
    25,301

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Wind-up Rex View Post
    Hence me saying "historically" in my comment.



    Meh. What's sad is the fact that a movement purporting to speak for the rights of all women took nearly a century to even take into consideration the issues that actually affect most women, and then expects us to rush to pick up t-shirts when they do. Fuck Feminism.
    But it's why we are where we are at today. You might not think it's useful any longer, but to say it was never useful is really blinding oneself to how different society would be without it.

    It's as though some people imagine that things just magically got this way without any politics, revolution, or trouble. It simply does not work that way.

    I'm not claiming that's what you're saying, but the validity of feminism in history is painfully obvious, even if some agree that we've reached a point in society where something as onemoretime suggested like "gender equality" would make more sense.

  6. #206
    nee andante bechimo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    8,028

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Wind-up Rex View Post
    Meh. What's sad is the fact that a movement purporting to speak for the rights of all women took nearly a century to even take into consideration the issues that actually affect most women, and then expects us to rush to pick up t-shirts when they do. Fuck Feminism.
    What are you talking about?

  7. #207
    Permabanned
    Join Date
    May 2009
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi
    Posts
    25,301

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Magic Poriferan View Post
    I think third wave feminism is flawed because it lacks a foundation or enthusiasm. If you look up the waves of feminism, you'll get two clear descriptions and then something along the lines of muttering and shrugging.

    I am on the fence about the place of sex work and the sexualization of women in feminism.
    I disagree. As someone who was an adolescent during the 90's when Third Wave Feminism was fresh and strong, there was a great deal of influence on working class women and women of color and gender-queers that had not existed, no not so much, before that time. I have had the opportunity to watch little things change in my lifetime, and there's nothing like someone my mom's age or older to tell you what it really used to be like.

    A ton of things have progressed in terms of gender equality since the early 90's. 2011 is like a dreamland in comparison.

  8. #208
    my floof is luxury Wind Up Rex's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    853 sx/sp
    Posts
    4,981

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Marmie Dearest View Post
    But it's why we are where we are at today. You might not think it's useful any longer, but to say it was never useful is really blinding oneself to how different society would be without it.

    It's as though some people imagine that things just magically got this way without any politics, revolution, or trouble. It simply does not work that way.

    I'm not claiming that's what you're saying, but the validity of feminism in history is painfully obvious , even if some agree that we've reached a point in society where something as onemoretime suggested like "gender equality" would make more sense.
    If you dont mind, it would be helpful for me if you could provide evidence for these two statements.
    And so long as you haven’t experienced this: to die and so to grow,
    you are only a troubled guest on the dark earth

  9. #209
    ^He pronks, too! Magic Poriferan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    MBTI
    Yin
    Enneagram
    One sx/sp
    Posts
    13,911

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Marmie Dearest View Post
    I disagree. As someone who was an adolescent during the 90's when Third Wave Feminism was fresh and strong, there was a great deal of influence on working class women and women of color and gender-queers that had not existed, no not so much, before that time. I have had the opportunity to watch little things change in my lifetime, and there's nothing like someone my mom's age or older to tell you what it really used to be like.

    A ton of things have progressed in terms of gender equality since the early 90's. 2011 is like a dreamland in comparison.
    Is that because of third wave feminism or would it have happened like that regardless? Is third wave feminism an extraneous concept? I ask because I'm pretty sure things progressed from 1970 to 1980, and from 1980 to 1990, so what is the significance of it progressing from 1990 to 2000? What deserves credit for that?
    Go to sleep, iguana.


    _________________________________
    INTP. Type 1>6>5. sx/sp.
    Live and let live will just amount to might makes right

  10. #210
    Permabanned
    Join Date
    May 2009
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi
    Posts
    25,301

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Magic Poriferan View Post
    Is that because of third wave feminism or would it have happened like that regardless? Is third wave feminism an extraneous concept? I ask because I'm pretty sure things progressed from 1970 to 1980, and from 1980 to 1990, so what is the significance of it progressing from 1990 to 2000? What deserves credit for that?
    The Third Wave Feminists who softened it from the earlier, angrier forms of feminism and made it more all-inclusive.

    Things change because new generations are born. The waves imply generations of women taking tangible actions, not just a stale philosophy.

Similar Threads

  1. Enneagram: degree of frequency of the differents variants.
    By Speed Gavroche in forum Enneagram
    Replies: 60
    Last Post: 11-29-2017, 05:51 PM
  2. Testing your degree of Trumpness
    By Typh0n in forum Online Personality Tests
    Replies: 28
    Last Post: 07-24-2017, 08:38 AM
  3. Works of fiction and feminism
    By Viridian in forum Philosophy and Spirituality
    Replies: 48
    Last Post: 09-21-2011, 10:29 PM
  4. To those who identify with some aspect(s) of feminism....
    By Qre:us in forum Politics, History, and Current Events
    Replies: 194
    Last Post: 08-13-2010, 06:47 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO