User Tag List

First 91011121321 Last

Results 101 to 110 of 276

  1. #101
    Senior Member Helios's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    MBTI
    INTP
    Posts
    273

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jimrckhnd View Post
    Get the stick out of your hindquarters. Really. Your life will be so much more rewarding.
    This doesn't address my response to you, though perhaps it isn't intended to!

  2. #102
    Permabanned
    Join Date
    May 2009
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi
    Posts
    25,301

    Default

    Oh look who hates altruism. Just caught that.

    Classic. Fantastic. I think I'm going to hold you up as a symbol of everything that makes me puke.

  3. #103
    Senior Member Gish's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    MBTI
    STUF
    Posts
    891

    Default

    To the woman he said, "I will greatly increase your pains in childbearing; with pain you will give birth to children. Your desire will be for your husband, and he will rule over you." - Genesis 3:16
    Whoops.

  4. #104
    Permabanned
    Join Date
    May 2009
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi
    Posts
    25,301

    Default

    You're right, religion is at the root of a lot of this bullshit.

  5. #105
    libtard SJW chickpea's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sx/sp
    Posts
    4,958

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Gish View Post
    To the woman he said, "I will greatly increase your pains in childbearing; with pain you will give birth to children. Your desire will be for your husband, and he will rule over you." - Genesis 3:16
    amen. all these women trying to act like men disgusts me. they're ruining the good, christian family values this nation was founded on.

  6. #106
    Ginkgo
    Guest

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Tallulah View Post
    I have no problem with a man worrying about his wife's safety because he cares about her. The sexist part of this commercial is that he's worried about her because the world is too overwhelming for her female brain and reflexes. And plays into stereotypes about women not being able to drive. Replace it with another stereotype and see if it's still sweet: "But when an Asian is at the wheel..." Patronizing? Offensive? Yep. You can care about the Asian person in question, but it still makes it a dumb and offensive stereotype. (Yes, PeaceBaby! Good observation about sliding over so the man can drive!)

    Mkenya, I understand that the rules have changed, and lots of men are left confused. Heck, I'm confused sometimes because my dad was a mix of the protective, chivalric man, and a man who raised me to believe I could do anything a man could do. So it was weird to me to find out most guys seem to be either/or because of the mixed messages in society. :-) There's nothing wrong with a man being a bit protective of a woman because he loves her, in my eyes. But if he's being protective because he thinks she's too weak and stupid to make it in the world, it becomes offensive. It's the intention.
    I love wimminz.

  7. #107
    Senior Member Gish's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    MBTI
    STUF
    Posts
    891

    Default

    I think Feminism is harmful because people who choose that lifestyle or are comfortable in it are immediately vilified, there are perks to both sides. I don't even think it can be combated for that reason. Some people from both sides of the fence enjoy it.

    There is also the fact that there are clear biological differences, even if there isn't regulation, which I don't really see much anymore as it is, people are going to naturally fall into certain roles.
    Whoops.

  8. #108
    Listening Oaky's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/so
    Socionics
    SLI None
    Posts
    6,168

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Gish View Post
    I think Feminism is harmful because people who choose that lifestyle or are comfortable in it are immediately vilified,
    They've got to deal with it like a man.

  9. #109
    Blah Orangey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    6w5
    Socionics
    SLE
    Posts
    6,364

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Helios View Post
    I'm not "divorcing" a subject from any other, nor denying the value of inter-disciplinary research. This is not inconsistent with anything I've said above.
    You tried to suggest that "history" was less important to understanding contemporary society than sociology and/or psychology. In my response, I was suggesting that history, whether it is defined simply as research into the past or more specifically as an academic discipline with specific methodologies, cannot meaningfully be separated from either of those disciplines (or at least sociology, since there are still remnants of positivism in psychology.) And if history cannot be separated from sociology or psychology, it doesn't make any sense to say that history is less important to understanding contemporary society than sociology or psychology.

    This is all on top of the fact that we have not specifically defined what is meant by "contemporary society" or what it means to understand it.

    Quote Originally Posted by Helios View Post
    How can you say that "generic Feminism" doesn't exist when you're unaware of how your interlocutor is defining the term?
    Because the term "generic feminism" is not widely accepted as being descriptive of any known type of feminism. If I see the color green, and I say, "hey, look at that color! It's greeb," then I will have made up a word that describes something real but is not itself an existing term that is widely used. I will have just invented the word, and (now take note here, Helios) I should not expect, if I go around saying "greeb!" that anyone else in the world will know what the fuck I'm talking about.

    Quote Originally Posted by Helios View Post
    I'd define generic Feminism as something like the following:

    The position that women ought to enjoy equality (principally legal, social and economic) with men + {miscellaneous propositions}.

    It is the latter part of the definition which leads me to reject Feminism, and is usually populated with claims like "There ought to be women only spaces on university campuses", ""Rape culture" exists", "There would never have been any war had women had as much influence as men in the past", "20% of women on university campuses (in the United States) will be raped", etc.

    Importantly, I believe that when someone identifies as a Feminist, they in fact assent to generic Feminism so defined.
    That's just because you are thinking only of straw feminism.

    Quote Originally Posted by Helios View Post
    I did not dodge the question. Your remark suggested that I had been misunderstood, and thus I sought to clarify my comment.
    You had been misunderstood, but your response failed to clarify anything. Nice attempt at being a smartass, though.


    P.S.- Goddamn you and your stupid fucking Palatino Linotype.
    Artes, Scientia, Veritasiness

  10. #110
    Blah Orangey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    6w5
    Socionics
    SLE
    Posts
    6,364

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Helios View Post
    In other words, when someone says "I am a Feminist" they most likely mean "I am a generic Feminist", the definition of which has been provided above. Since these "miscellaneous propositions" are typically absurd-some examples were provided above- I am then justified in rejecting Feminism, where "Feminism" is synonymous with "generic Feminism" so defined.
    You're going wrong in assuming that "feminism" is synonymous with your "generic feminism." Some feminists might only believe in the antecedent part of your "generic feminism" formula, but they're still feminists. Moreover, you're not justified in rejecting generic feminism if you don't even know which propositions will go in the {miscellaneous propositions} container for any given type of feminism. You've merely rejected a few straw feminisms and assumed that the rest would be likewise worth rejecting. Which is ignorant.
    Artes, Scientia, Veritasiness

Similar Threads

  1. Enneagram: degree of frequency of the differents variants.
    By Speed Gavroche in forum Enneagram
    Replies: 60
    Last Post: 11-29-2017, 05:51 PM
  2. Testing your degree of Trumpness
    By Typh0n in forum Online Personality Tests
    Replies: 28
    Last Post: 07-24-2017, 08:38 AM
  3. Works of fiction and feminism
    By Viridian in forum Philosophy and Spirituality
    Replies: 48
    Last Post: 09-21-2011, 10:29 PM
  4. To those who identify with some aspect(s) of feminism....
    By Qre:us in forum Politics, History, and Current Events
    Replies: 194
    Last Post: 08-13-2010, 06:47 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO