User Tag List

First 1234 Last

Quote Originally Posted by whatever View Post
    I hear ranting about call center reps in other countries on a daily basis
    That was me.

figsfiggyfigs

As an Arab, I think it's okay to hate the white Man. It is, after all, just returning a favor from the past few centuries.

Enneagram
    827 sp/so

I actually keep a list of the local numbers for call centers I call under the theory that the closer they are to me the more likely it is that I can threaten to beat them up if they don't help me and the more likely that they just might beleive me
    “Oh, we're always alright. You remember that. We happen to other people.” -Terry Pratchett

It OK to hate anyone. Hate is just an emotion, and it is OK.

However, it's probably very unhealthy to hold on to that hate. It's probably, also, imprudent to express that hate in certain settings.

If you hate someone, don't be surprised if they hate you back.

As far as a getting a feeling that you or your kind are being persecuted. That is a different story.

The Nazis obviusly persecuted people, some white people obviously persecuted people during the Jim Crow era, some Christians obviously persecuted people during the crusades. Persecuation is obvious in many cases.

Proving that you are subtly persecuted is very difficult. Also, you cannot be persecuted through the forum, unless you allow yourself to be.

Accept the past. Live for the present. Look forward to the future.
    Robot Fusion
    "As our island of knowledge grows, so does the shore of our ignorance." John Wheeler
    "[A] scientist looking at nonscientific problems is just as dumb as the next guy." Richard Feynman
    "[P]etabytes of [] data is not the same thing as understanding emergent mechanisms and structures." Jim Crutchfield

MBTI
    Aeon
    Enneagram
    10w so
    Socionics
    LOL

Quote Originally Posted by Savage Idealist View Post
    Most people don't really think about the origins of their hate, nor do they properly control it as they should.
    Perhaps we need to take a step back and look at the purpose of hate?

In general, I guess I would say that hate is associated with potential for harm/perceived threats. But at what point is this taken too far? I think you are right that people don't think of the origins of their hate as much as they should. Should one hate political opponents for example, simply because they wish to implement an alternative policy? What about those who hate rich people or welfare recipients, even though we don't know them?

And of course, what about forgiveness?

But in general, it is minority groups that are the last to be hated. So I guess the last people to be hated are those who have personally harmed you.

Banned
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sp/so
    Socionics
    IEI

Quote Originally Posted by Catbert View Post
    Perhaps we need to take a step back and look at the purpose of hate?

In general, I guess I would say that hate is associated with potential for harm/perceived threats. But at what point is this taken too far? I think you are right that people don't think of the origins of their hate as much as they should. Should one hate political opponents for example, simply because they wish to implement an alternative policy? What about those who hate rich people or welfare recipients, even though we don't know them?
    I would imagine, that like many other odd adaptions of our peculiar behaviors that we take for granted, that hatred is an evolved response to the complex growth of the social environment; as social skills of our ancestors grew, so did the need to feel hostility towards others. It's also possible that Homo Erectus, Homo Habilis, or even chimpanzees were the first to develop such skills needed in order ot survive certain aspects of the environment. Although know that I think about it it is possible that even rudimentary animals are capable of possessing and expressing hatred. Regardless of origin, it would certainly seem that hatred was a great adapting for our ancestors, but in the present world it is mostly ineffective and dangerous; wars, anti-social atrocities, oppression of millions, death; all result from an abundance of hatred.

But whether hatred can be quelled completely is impossible not on the theoretical scale, but more so on the practical one; if our hatred is an inate thing evolved within us than is is possible to completely rid (or even somewhat) ourselves of it? If not, then of course the discourse as where hatred is generated needs to be considered, less we bottle it up inside (which is unhealthy from what I understand). I'd say that a persons deliberate actions that result in negative consequences should draw hatred from others; such hatred should be proportionate to the actions committed, but ultimatley such hatred shouldn't take any part in the process of punishment or retribution, only the initiave response of dealing with the situation that generated the hatred in the first place, but even then this should prbably be avoided if possible.

And of course, what about forgiveness?
    Should alwyas come before hatred; unlike hatred which causes a negative consequence, forgivness often generates a positive one, thus it is utimately of more value to us.

But in general, it is minority groups that are the last to be hated. So I guess the last people to be hated are those who have personally harmed you.
    Indeed.

MBTI
    INxJ

Quote Originally Posted by YWIR View Post
    As an Arab, I think it's okay to hate the white Man. It is, after all, just returning a favor from the past few centuries.
    Arabs are white.

figsfiggyfigs

Quote Originally Posted by 01011010 View Post
    Arabs are white.
    Wrong. They are tan...ish.

MBTI
    INxJ

Quote Originally Posted by YWIR View Post
    Wrong. They are tan...ish.
    Is that a joke?

figsfiggyfigs

Quote Originally Posted by 01011010 View Post