User Tag List

First 5678 Last

Thread: Ask a Muslim

“Some people will tell you that slow is good – but I’m here to tell you that fast is better. I’ve always believed this, in spite of the trouble it’s caused me. Being shot out of a cannon will always be better than being squeezed out of a tube. That is why God made fast motorcycles, Bubba…”

figsfiggyfigs

Quote Originally Posted by Antimony View Post
    Who tries to oppress you with your religion?

Oh, and I concur with the statement about religion and oppressing people.
    Oh just people I've had the unfortunate displeasure of meeting( through family events for example), or other folk in general. I've heard people making judgments quite a few times, trying to force their beliefs on others, but oddly enough, it is mostly traditional/cultural(older generations exhibit this the most); not even religious. They often mix up their culture/traditions with their religion, leading to the belief that certain standards are part of the religion itself, when it isn't.

I won't go into details or examples, because they're usually pointless, and make me want to punch someone's face in.

Quote Originally Posted by LEGERdeMAIN View Post
    There is too much idiocy going on in that link. Am I supposed to think something else of it?

Or are you referring to how old Muslims believe the earth is? Which I believe has not been "calculated". Ie: It's really fucking old.
    Last edited by figsfiggyfigs; 08-29-2011 at 09:45 AM. Reason: Sorry for the mistakes. Exhausted.-- I'll do some research later.

This thread is confusing when everybody has the same avatar.
    Your kisses, sweeter than honey. But guess what, so is my money.

Quote Originally Posted by YWIR View Post
    Oh just people I've had the unfortunate displeasure of meeting( through family events for example), or other folk in general. I've heard people making judgments quite a few times, trying to force their beliefs on others, but oddly enough, it is mostly traditional/cultural(older generations exhibit this the most); not even religious. They often mix up their culture/traditions with their religion, leading to the belief that certain standards are part of the religion itself, when it isn't.

I won't go into details or examples, because they're usually pointless, and make me want to punch someone's face in.

There is too much idiocy going on in that link. Am I supposed to think something else of it?

Or are you referring to how old Muslims believe the earth is? Which I believe has not been "calculated". Ie: It's really fucking old.
    I think that most scientists would agree that the exact age of the earth has not been calculated. Are all Muslims scientists?
    “Some people will tell you that slow is good – but I’m here to tell you that fast is better. I’ve always believed this, in spite of the trouble it’s caused me. Being shot out of a cannon will always be better than being squeezed out of a tube. That is why God made fast motorcycles, Bubba…”

figsfiggyfigs

Quote Originally Posted by LEGERdeMAIN View Post
    I think that most scientists would agree that the exact age of the earth has not been calculated. Are all Muslims scientists?
    I'm with the scientists. If they happen to be Muslim, more power to'em!

@gromit. I'm sorry. Blame the NTPs.

Why is your thread so boring, muslim?

figsfiggyfigs

I'll change and get this party started off right!

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by gromit View Post
    This thread is confusing when everybody has the same avatar.
    But-But its such a massively cute avatar...confusion is a small price to pay for its replication!

Hmm, that's probably not helping with YWIR's misperception that I'm a feeler....

MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    8w7 sx/sp
    Socionics
    ????

Quote Originally Posted by lowtech redneck View Post
    But-But its such a massively cute avatar...confusion is a small price to pay for its replication!

Hmm, that's probably not helping with YWIR's misperception that I'm a feeler....
    Maybe we should ALL replicate it

Excuse me, but does this smell like chloroform to you?

Always reserve the right to become smarter at a future point in time, for only a fool limits themselves to all they knew in the past. -Alex

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by YWIR View Post
    A lot of people feel oppressed mainly by other external forces that manipulate their religion as a means to brainwash or oppress them. People have free will, and I wish people would step aside and not stick their nose into what people choose to believe or do.

So. No, I am not oppressed by my religion. I do often feel others trying to use it to oppress me though.
    You identify a crucial distinction here, between what might be called the theory of a religion and its practice. Most complaints against various religions seem to focus on the second, where human greed, corruption, fear, and other issues can trump even the most enlightened and inspiring elements of faith. Many of these behaviors are more reflective of culture than of the faith itself. They also are linked to whether someone has a more literal or more figurative interpretation of theory.

Most criticisms I have heard levelled against Islam apply equally to Christianity. Islam is a younger religion, though, by about 600 years. What were Christians doing 600 years ago? The Inquisition.
    I've been called a criminal, a terrorist, and a threat to the known universe. But everything you were told is a lie. The truth is, they've taken our freedom, our home, and our future. The time has come for all humanity to take a stand...