User Tag List

123 Last

Thread: Just vs Fair

Default Just vs Fair

I get stuck on that question. Someone please help me out.

I think they basically mean the same. It seems to me that a person supposed to be just ought to be just, while a person supposed to be fair should be fair. Therefore, they are used in different contexts (in court or in a football match).

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx

Just is legalistic. A Just action may not be a fair action. Fairness is moral.

Fair to me is not moral, fair to me is equitable. But then, look at a definition of equitable:

equitable

1. impartial or reasonable; fair; just an equitable decision
    Lol.

I think they're extremely close in meaning, but if I had to differentiate, I'd call just the ethical thing to do, and fair the equitable thing to do.

As an example, using these definitions affirmative action would be just but not fair.
    Everybody have fun tonight. Everybody Wang Chung tonight.

Johari
    /Nohari

This is a perspective issue.

Example:

Two squabbling siblings in the back seat of the car. Parent without even turning around, says "Both of you settle down or you're not going to like what I will do".

Fair or evenhanded treatment since the children are being treated equally.
    Unjust since there was probably an instigator.

Ginkgo

Justice must always be fair. Fairness doesn't always have to be just.

Banned

Fair is when the same thing happens equally. The opposite of fair is bias.

Just is when the right thing happens regardless of whether equal or not. The opposite of justice is injustice.

"Justice" to some, is holding a gun to someone's head and pulling the trigger.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/so

I like this guy's take, which is similar to PMEffEmDoubleyou's (and others'):

Quote Originally Posted by Principles of Justice
    In the context of intractable conflict, the terms 'justice' and 'fairness' are often used interchangeably.

Taken in its broader sense, justice is action in accordance with the requirements of some law.[1] Some maintain that justice stems from God's will or command, while others believe that justice is inherent in nature itself. Still others believe that justice consists of rules common to all humanity that emerge out of some sort of consensus. This sort of justice is often thought of as something higher than a society's legal system. It is in those cases where an action seems to violate some universal rule of conduct that we are likely to call it "unjust."

In its narrower sense, justice is fairness. It is action that pays due regard to the proper interests, property, and safety of one's fellows.[2] While justice in the broader sense is often thought of as transcendental, justice as fairness is more context-bound. Parties concerned with fairness typically strive to work out something comfortable and adopt procedures that resemble rules of a game. They work to ensure that people receive their "fair share" of benefits and burdens and adhere to a system of "fair play."
    I think that fits reasonably well with the connotations of just vs fair. Fairness is more context-dependent and limited in scope, while justice is more concerned with the consistent application of (possibly universal) laws and principles.