• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Have a wildcat moment :-)

proteanmix

Plumage and Moult
Enneagram
1w2
Can cause create effect?

OR

Can effect create the cause?

OR

Can cause and effect be the same?

OR

0/0= contradiction?

I'm friggin Ti-ing out!

May move to Graveyard depending on responses. :coffee:

nightning

ish red no longer *sad*
MBTI Type
INfj
Can cause create effect?
Cause => effect
No cause, no effect due to cause
Therefore cause create specific effect...
But system is not in isolation...
multiple causes => interaction => effects
Therefore cause alter effect.
Effect only due to cause if it's 100% dependent on cause.

Effect create the cause?
What is the cause? *scratches head* Effect can create causes of other things... but are we talking about human cause and effect here? Because people have theory of mind. We can make predictions of the possible effects of some action... If we don't like the effects, we don't take the action. Therefore imagining the effect can affect the cause. We choose the cause based on possible effects imagined. Therefore effect can create causes... but only because we have theory of mind.

Cause = effect?
*more scratching head* Only if the cause affects itself?
How do you define that? What is cause? Cause = action... action is VERB can an action be affected? Headache... BAD!!! No cause cannot be the same as effect. Because "cause" is initiation of the action... By nature of an effect can only occur after something is done... cause cannot be effect. The time frame doesn't overlap.

0/0 = infinity?
I don't know what infinity is... where is Nemo when you need him? Blah! clown fish aren't very useful are they?

*Ni kiddie with marker walks out of room*

elfinchilde

a white iris
MBTI Type
type
perhaps if one views it as a cycle, rather than a straight line?

Cause creates effect, which creates other causes, and other effects.

The sign of infinity is the lemniscate (the horizontal 8). Perhaps a better sign of cause and effect would be the moebius band. With no beginning nor ending, if you cut the strip lengthwise (ie, if you try to separate cause and effect), you get a wider, and wider loop.

nmat1960-f1.jpg

A branch of greek philosophy took the argument to the end: that if there are causes and effects, then, there must be a singular cause at the start.

Nihilism says there is no cause; it was a random generation of coincidences which triggered off the cycle.

Buddhist philosophy has perhaps a more forward looking view: there are causes and consequences (ie, effects). The waves of the sea are already in motion. Is it any use to question them? Or is it not more fruitful to calm the waves. To take positive action.

And therein, the concept of karma and nirvana.

PS: good thread, and witty title, protean. :)

ThatsWhatHeSaid

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Buddhist philosophy has perhaps a more forward looking view: there are causes and consequences (ie, effects). The waves of the sea are already in motion. Is it any use to question them? Or is it not more fruitful to calm the waves. To take positive action.

The waves are still.
Only the mind moves.

MBTI Type
INTJ
I guess you have to have a problem
If you want to invent a contraption
First you cause a train wreck
Then you put me in traction

Well, first came an action
And then a reaction
But you can't switch around
For your own satisfaction
Well, you put my house down, then got mad
At my reaction

Well, in every complicated situation
Of a human relation
Makin' sense of it all
Takes a whole lot a concentration

Well, you can blame my baby
For her pregnant ma
And if there's one of these
On the order for laws
It's that you just can't take the effect
And make it the cause

Well, you can't take the effect
And make it the cause
I didn't rob a bank
Because you made up a law
When there's people robbin' Peter
Don't you blame Paul
Can't take the effect
And make it the cause

I ain't the reason that you gave me no reason to return your call
You built a house of cards and got shocked when you saw them fall
Well are you sayin' I'm innocent?
In fact the reverse
But if you're heading to the grave
You don't blame the hearse
You're like a little girl yellin' at her brother
'Cause you lost his ball

Well you keep blamin' me for what you did
And that ain't all
The way you clean up a wreck
Is enough to get one pause
You seem to forget
Just how this song started
I'm reactin' to you because you left me broken-hearted
See, you just can't take the effect
And make it the cause

Can't take the effect
And make it the cause
I didn't rob a bank
Because you made up a law
Blame people robbin' Peter
Don't you blame Paul
Can't take the effect
And make it the cause

disregard

mrs
MBTI Type
INFP
Is the topic cause and effect
Or is it the cause and effect
Of a thread authoring itself?

Nocapszy

no clinkz 'til brooklyn
MBTI Type
ENTP
Cause and effect are relative to one's vantage.
The timeline does not assign titles.

elfinchilde

a white iris
MBTI Type
type
Nightning: if you're talking in the singular, then, cause does not = effect.

But in the pluralistic sense: effect may = cause. Not the same, but another new cause. envision it in the sense of two rulers: one beneath the other. Take odd numbers as cause, even numbers as effect.

They start out equally.

But if you shift the second rule, such that its 1 is equivalent to the other's 2, then, that is how the effect of one action becomes the cause of a new action.

Edahn: waves are always in the mind; more often than not, they generate deed. Which is why karma is given not on thought, but on deeds of one's own volition.

ie, if you do not act on a cause, then there are no waves. No repercussion; according to the classical rules of karma.

Concretise it:

Hitler thinks of Aryan supremacy. But he only holds it as ideas in his head, and does not act upon it. Is there cause? Yes. But are there effects? No.

Where does effect come in? When he acted upon it and eliminated the Jews.

That effect was the Holocaust. Greek: holos = completely. kaustos = burnt.

That effect generated other causes.
Oscar Schindler, who felt the need to save as many Jews as he could, even though he was German.
Poland, left with the legacy of Auschwitz, Beltzec, Chelmno, Majdanek, amongst others: kept as memorials for the world, so the world would not forget: even though the people themselves struggle with the daily reminder of such a legacy.
Anne Frank. A diary. A young girl. The saving of an old chestnut tree. Would a tree cause such worldwide media attention, otherwise?
The Final Solution to the Jewish Problem. In its actual German: Die Endlosung der Judenfrage. The concept of genocide is articulated for the first time in the world. Spawning: genocides in Rwanda. Bosnia. Cambodia.

Causes and effects. Causes lead to effects, which become other causes.

The link is in action. If there is no deed, the cause is ended. The waves of the mind and in the world then become calm.

but ah. A question then: is the human propensity not for action? How else the concepts of revenge, justice, vendetta?

Humans. Homo sapiens. Sapiens meaning sentience. Do we truly think, or do we not merely act emotively? And thereby, effects become new causes, and the cycle goes on.

ThatsWhatHeSaid

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Cause and effect are relative to one's vantage.
The timeline does not assign titles.

The titles assign the timeline
which is merely an illusion
of motion.

No movement,
yet nothing is static.

Nothing happened,
nothing will happen,
it just happens itself.

ThatsWhatHeSaid

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4

But in the pluralistic sense: effect may = cause. Not the same, but another new cause. envision it in the sense of two rulers: one beneath the other. Take odd numbers as cause, even numbers as effect.

They start out equally.

But if you shift the second rule, such that its 1 is equivalent to the other's 2, then, that is how the effect of one action becomes the cause of a new action.

Edahn: waves are always in the mind; more often than not, they generate deed. Which is why karma is given not on thought, but on deeds of one's own volition.

ie, if you do not act on a cause, then there are no waves. No repercussion; according to the classical rules of karma.

Concretise it:

Hitler thinks of Aryan supremacy. But he only holds it as ideas in his head, and does not act upon it. Is there cause? Yes. But are there effects? No.

Where does effect come in? When he acted upon it and eliminated the Jews.

That effect was the Holocaust. Greek: holos = completely. kaustos = burnt.

That effect generated other causes.
Oscar Schindler, who felt the need to save as many Jews as he could, even though he was German.
Poland, left with the legacy of Auschwitz, Beltzec, Chelmno, Majdanek, amongst others: kept as memorials for the world, so the world would not forget: even though the people themselves struggle with the daily reminder of such a legacy.
Anne Frank. A diary. A young girl. The saving of an old chestnut tree. Would a tree cause such worldwide media attention, otherwise?
The Final Solution to the Jewish Problem. In its actual German: Die Endlosung der Judenfrage. The concept of genocide is articulated for the first time in the world. Spawning: genocides in Rwanda. Bosnia. Cambodia.

Causes and effects. Causes lead to effects, which become other causes.

The link is in action. If there is no deed, the cause is ended. The waves of the mind and in the world then become calm.

but ah. A question then: is the human propensity not for action? How else the concepts of revenge, justice, vendetta?

Humans. Homo sapiens. Sapiens meaning sentience. Do we truly think, or do we not merely act emotively? And thereby, effects become new causes, and the cycle goes on.

Is the thread teasing you,
Or are you teasing it?

elfinchilde

a white iris
MBTI Type
type
Is the thread teasing you,
Or are you teasing it?

If i choose not to respond, is there no tease?

Cause and consequence are linked through action. Always.
The waves, as you said, are in the mind.

I'm serious here, actually. But was it too loopy to follow?
:huh:

Aside, if the thread is capable of play, Ne should not mind. :holy:

btw: see wildcat's blog. he's ordered the functions in order of shyness and feeling. :shock:

white

~dangerous curves ahead~
MBTI Type
ENTP
A wildcat is a wildcat.

Can anyone but a wildcat, have a wildcat moment?

Who defines a moment.
What defines a wildcat?

The illusion of being another, and a borrowed time?
Do we not all borrow time and lives?

Cause and effect, depends on where the you're standing in the line.

"To do is to be" - Rene Descartes

"To be is to do" - Immanuel Kant

"do be do be do" - Frank Sinatra

alcea rosea

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w6
My wildcant moment is such when I go to the forest and run like a wildcat! :smile:

My Ti is really weak and Wildcat is always Wilcat (as aelan said), very unique.

nightning

ish red no longer *sad*
MBTI Type
INfj

Yes. Cause => Effect = other causes => other effects. A cascade of cause and effect.

Fractals!

Or number tree?

1 1
1 2 1
1 3 3 1
To stand at one point and peer into the mist of possibilities. How many paths do one see? An infinite number of branching points. That's human perception for you. In reality, there's no beginning nor ending... As much in front of you as behind you. Afterall, time is relative.

Force meat.
To be human is to dish it and eat it. Blame it on the human mind.