User Tag List

First 7891011 Last

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by YWIR View Post
    I'm not complaining about a bunch if cartoons that offend my religion. I couldn't care less about the cartoons themselves. This is merely an example of a right people exploite with malicious intent. Get your accusations right.
    If a right doesn't have the potential to be 'exploited' by 'undesirable' people, then it isn't a right; freedom of speech is intended to protect subjectively unpopular speech, otherwise it would be useless.

MBTI
    INTj

Quote Originally Posted by Nerd Girl View Post
    I think it's beyond that, yes. Though it may have started out as a simple request.
    It's only a request if the right of refusal was respected. Otherwise, it is a demand.

This discussion is really about what is worse, offending people or failing to defend fundamental principles of fairness and tolerance.

MBTI
    STUF

Religion is retarded, if the concept of religion didn't exist, anyone with the same beliefs would be put in an insane asylum and drugged heavily for the safety of those around them.
    Whoops.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

People who are not religious often have difficulty comprehending why religious people are so sensitive about their faith. For religious people, or people who believe in anything, really, they identify with the belief, and it becomes part of themselves.

If you believe that everyone has the right to say everything, then you have no right to stop someone from publicizing unflattering (but true) things about someone you care about and laughing at them. What is right and wrong is usually relative and very personal.

I think the key is empathy.
    4w5 sp/sx EII

MBTI
    INTj

Quote Originally Posted by 21% View Post
    If you believe that everyone has the right to say everything, then you have no right to stop someone from publicizing unflattering (but true) things about someone you care about and laughing at them.
    It might not be nice, but the alternative is far worse. Imagine a world where we are not allowed to say anything that causes distress to another person.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

Quote Originally Posted by Not_Me View Post
    It might not be nice, but the alternative is far worse. Imagine a world where we are not allowed to say anything that causes distress to another person.
    I agree. I don't think it should be illegal to say things -- but there should be some sort of social condemnation for people who abuse it, and it should be powerful enough to actually stop the act. Did the muslims overreact over a piece of cartoon? Perhaps yes, perhaps no. If someone is talking trash on your mother wouldn't you want to punch them in the face? Like I said, I think empathy is what you need to put an end to this debate. Once everyone is on 'your side', everything is solvable.
    4w5 sp/sx EII

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4
    Socionics
    ILE

i personally find making a religion or a religious figure as a butt of a joke mostly distasteful

That being said, free speech and particularly free from limitations from government regulation as an important value. Restriction on speech especially in regard to politics/religion has too many negative implications which greatly outweigh the implications of free speech. I do think Europe is more hypocritical which content of speech is open and which is off limits however.
    I redact everything I have written or will write on this forum prior to, subsequent with and or after the fact of its writing. For entertainment purposes only and not to be taken seriously nor literally.

Quote Originally Posted by Edgar View Post
    Spamtar - a strange combination of boorish drunkeness and erudite discussions, or what I call "an Irish academic"

MBTI
    INTP

Did the muslims overreact over a piece of cartoon? Perhaps yes, perhaps no.
    You know some things I would not do if someone badmouthed my mother? Advocate for an end to free speech, lynch people, vandalize buildings, and attempt to blackmail a small country into giving up free speech rights. There is no 'perhaps' or moral equivalence about it.

MBTI
    INTj

I agree. I don't think it should be illegal to say things -- but there should be some sort of social condemnation for people who abuse it, and it should be powerful enough to actually stop the act.
    Do you believe the cartoonists were abusing their rights? They were defending one of our fundamental values. They cannot do it without creating offense. A choice had to be made.

If someone is talking trash on your mother wouldn't you want to punch them in the face?
    But I refrain from doing so because I recognize the value of compromise.
    Like I said, I think empathy is what you need to put an end to this debate. Once everyone is on 'your side', everything is solvable.
    Yes, as long as it goes both ways. Otherwise, we're talking about submission.

Ginkgo

So like I jut don;t understand why we don't just make an undergound railroad for those guys cuz they seriously need some playboy in there or some shit. I mean really, why else would you go and burn people alive?