User Tag List

First 45678 Last

A Totalitarian Political Religion

Quote Originally Posted by YWIR View Post
    Do you think it's okay to offend hundreds of millions of people in the name of satire, just for the sake of doing so?
    I personally don't think so, and I was pretty mad during the abovementioned controversy. I believe it in inexcusable to mock something so many people find precious and sacred. It was also a pretty stupid move by the newspaper. They must have known that the cartoons would create a big reaction in the Middle East.
    Fifty-seven Islamic countries have openly and publicly rejected the Universal Declaration of Human Rights so that they can continue to abuse human rights.

In particular they have rejected freedom of speech, and have sought to make freedom of speech illegal in infidel countries.

None of this should come as a surprise as Islam is a totalitarian political religion.

A window to the soul

Quote Originally Posted by Victor View Post
    Fifty-seven Islamic countries have openly and publicly rejected the Universal Declaration of Human Rights so that they can continue to abuse human rights.

In particular they have rejected freedom of speech, and have sought to make freedom of speech illegal in infidel countries.

None of this should come as a surprise as Islam is a totalitarian political religion.
    Oh lawd. Context fail.

figsfiggyfigs

awwwee :c
    Last edited by figsfiggyfigs; 07-20-2011 at 09:56 PM. Reason: sad times.

MBTI
    INTj

Quote Originally Posted by Nerd Girl View Post
    I hear "defamation is dishonesty and dishonesty is wrong; intentionally hurting someone's feelings isn't defamation, so intentionally hurting someone's feelings isn't wrong." Is that an accurate translation of your thoughts?
    Exactly. There are countless examples. Should I refrain from stating that I like apples better than oranges if it offends/hurts the feelings of orange farmers?

If so, please help me understand how you determine what qualifies as "wrong". I'm not seeing a clear distinction as you are.
    Anything can be "right" or "wrong" as long as the two sides agree to it.

If I was a radical atheist who gets offended when people attend church, would you be obligated to respect my sensibilities?

Come on. Are they wanting to take away your freedom or do they just want you to be respectful?
    Death threats and mob violence can hardly be characterized as "just want you to be respectful".

A window to the soul

Perhaps I need more brain washing. I don't get it.

MBTI
    INTj

What don't you get?

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by Southern Kross View Post
    But we must remember, Christianity has had 200+ years to get used to criticism whereas most Muslims come from nations where it has long been forbidden to do so. Give them a bit of a break and some time to adjust.
    Democratizing countries have not had time to get used to full democracy; let's cut them a break and not complain if they refuse to allow women to vote, after all, it took us 150 years!

A window to the soul

Quote Originally Posted by Not_Me View Post
    What don't you get?
    That was directed at Victor. Sorry about that Not_Me.

@Victor: I don't understand where you get your passionate philosophies from. They seem radical in nature. There are extremists in every religion, in all walks of life. The good news is, they (radicals) are the minority. Why must you live in fear and spread the hate? Or am I misunderstanding you?

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by YWIR View Post
    You people are all far too sensitive about your freedom of speech.
    And you are far too sensitive about your 'prophet'.

figsfiggyfigs

Quote Originally Posted by lowtech redneck View Post
    And you are far too sensitive about your 'prophet'.
    What is with the reference quotes? Are you belittling my beliefs now?
    Last edited by figsfiggyfigs; 07-20-2011 at 10:21 PM. Reason: Lucky those are not airquotes. I would've really lost my shit then!