User Tag List

First 34567 Last

MBTI
    INTj

Quote Originally Posted by The Outsider View Post
    There are better ways to uphold the freedom of speech than simply inciting violent reactions from those that can bee seen to oppose it.
    How? They violently forbid a practice which we cherish. If we submit, then the freedom is gone.

If they used dialog instead of violence, then it would make sense to compromise.

violaine

I take a big picture view of these things. The instance in the OP is just a snapshot in time, imo. Any large force for change will always be challenged by others. There isn't a worldwide mono-culture. People rarely forget what this side did to that until something bigger comes along to take it's place. And there will always be friction between cultures as people strive to protect and promote their own ways of living. At this point in time, it happens to be that the boundary between the Islamic world and the rest of the world is getting all of the heat. It makes perfect sense to me in the realms of typical human behavior. So I can't take offense, even if it is offensive.

On the whole, I think satire is a wonderful tool for examination. Yeah, it can hurt, we don't always like it, sometimes it can be off the mark, but if one reflects, it can open one's eyes to other's POV and our own blindspots and inspire wider dialogue. As in this thread.

MBTI
    IsFJ

I think there's a distinction between "not nice" and "ought to be illegal".

Quote Originally Posted by Viridian View Post
    I think there's a distinction between "not nice" and "ought to be illegal".
    facist
    “Some people will tell you that slow is good – but I’m here to tell you that fast is better. I’ve always believed this, in spite of the trouble it’s caused me. Being shot out of a cannon will always be better than being squeezed out of a tube. That is why God made fast motorcycles, Bubba…”

figsfiggyfigs

You people are all far too sensitive about your freedom of speech.

Quote Originally Posted by YWIR View Post
    yeah, thats why you want to make me wear a headset????
    “Some people will tell you that slow is good – but I’m here to tell you that fast is better. I’ve always believed this, in spite of the trouble it’s caused me. Being shot out of a cannon will always be better than being squeezed out of a tube. That is why God made fast motorcycles, Bubba…”

MBTI
    INTj

Free speech is for little people. I expect to be paid.

A window to the soul

Quote Originally Posted by Not_Me View Post
    Defamation unfairly diminishes the victim's standing in society. The dishonesty is what makes it wrong. Intentionally angering or hurting someone's feelings might not be nice, but no dishonesty is involved. The two are not comparable.
    In one sentence you indicate that dishonesty is what makes defamation wrong. In the next sentence you attempt a giant leap to "angering or hurting someone's feelings might not be nice, but no dishonesty is involved." When I fill in the large gap in your thought process there, I hear "defamation is dishonesty and dishonesty is wrong; intentionally hurting someone's feelings isn't defamation, so intentionally hurting someone's feelings isn't wrong." Is that an accurate translation of your thoughts? If so, please help me understand how you determine what qualifies as "wrong". I'm not seeing the same clear distinction as you are.

EDIT: A mass published warped depiction of something that's sacred to the masses, is far from what I call "honest."

Quote Originally Posted by Not_Me View Post
    How? They violently forbid a practice which we cherish. If we submit, then the freedom is gone.

If they used dialog instead of violence, then it would make sense to compromise.
    Come on. Are they wanting to take away your freedom or do they just want you to be respectful?

Quote Originally Posted by YWIR View Post
    I would love to set you straight (haha) but, contrary to what you like to pretend, I am quite convinced you already are.