User Tag List

First 12345 Last

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Peguy View Post
    So even your own definition notes a connection between the two.
    Not mine but Merriam Webster's. And you took one adjective from a long and complex list to supposedöy disprove a point I never made since I explicitly said there was overlapping.

He's recognised as a leading Islamic scholar. He mainly speaks for the Traditionalist perspective within Islam, in constrast to both fundamentalists and modernists/progressives.
    This might be a question of definition. He might not be a "fundamentalist" as that term is taken by much more radical people, but his equivalent in an other monotheistic religion would be labelled conservative, at the very least.

I'm sure you could. I mean I know plenty of Catholics who believe all sorts of absurd stuff too.
    So one scholar is more representative of a group than several Joe Average run off the mill members of that group? I did not say these people had specific (according to you, absurd) views, I said they were moderate, democratic and modernist to varying degrees but all more so than him, so alternative views exist. Why do you call that claim absurd?

I'd like to hear your distinction between "making fun" and insulting, and how religious society somehow stiffle religious-based humour? Concerning Christian Europe at least, this notion is supposedly disputed by historian Michael W. George:
    You misunderstood me. I was referring to your quote about the golden age of Islam and the connection between religiousn frameworks/establishments and science and the developement of new thought. The distinction between making fun and insulting is quite obvious. Tell one friend to make fun of you and another to insult you, I am sure you will know the difference.

Yes the typical intellectual impasse MacIntyre has written much about.
    Have mercy, I am working while surfing the forum (i.e. can't consult many secondary sources right now) and you keep name droping and throwing quotes at me instead of giving me your own thoughts and analysis.
    The good life is one inspired by love and guided by knowledge. Neither love without knowledge, nor knowledge without love can produce a good life. - Bertrand Russell
    A herring's blog
    Johari / Nohari

Sniffles

Quote Originally Posted by Red Herring View Post
    Not mine but Merriam Webster's. And you took one adjective from a long and complex list to supposedöy disprove a point I never made since I explicitly said there was overlapping.
    Alright then - I don't see much point in continuing on this particular issue for the time being. In Islam as far as I understand it - the connection between culture and faith is more closely bonded than it is in Christianity for example.

This might be a question of definition. He might not be a "fundamentalist" as that term is taken by much more radical people, but his equivalent in an other monotheistic religion would be labelled conservative, at the very least.
    There is a distinction between being traditionalist or "conservative" if you will and being a fundamentalist - this is true in Islam as well as Christianity - and I'm not just talking about radicalism here(although that has a role in it). I guess to give one example is that traditionalists are often more open to mysticism and value it as an important element of religious truth, while fundamentalists tend to look negatively upon it. This is true within Islam with Sufis being viewed with contempt by fundamentalists. Chronologically speaking too, fundamentalism is a more recent development(around the 17th-18th centuries) wheras Islamic traditionalism can be dated back to the earliest developments of Islamic teachings. Does this help clarify things? This parallels very much the situation in Christianity to an extent.

So one scholar is more representative of a group than several Joe Average run off the mill members of that group?
    If we're trying to discern Islamic teachings here, then yeah it certainly can be. Just like with Catholicism, you're probably better off reading St. Thomas Aquinas to discern Catholic teachings than simply asking your Average Paddy, who may not necessarily have the competence to pronounce on such matters. Speaking from personal experience, some of the most stupidest shit I've ever heard about the faith have come from Catholics you meet everyday.

I did not say these people had specific (according to you, absurd) views, I said they were moderate, democratic and modernist to varying degrees but all more so than him, so alternative views exist.
    Yes alternative views exist within Islam, even Nasr acknowledges this. However, that doesn't mean all competiting views are equal in truth.

Why do you call that claim absurd?
    I was referring more towards average Catholics who believe all sorts of absurd shit, and how you shouldn't take that for official Catholic teachings. But since you ask, I think many of the modernist Muslims, like their Christian counterparts, are gravely mistaken in their view that modernity and their faith can actually coexist without degrading their vitality and validity of its teachings. We've seen within Christianity the mess this attempt has created(mostly noticeably within the Anglican community or even in American Catholicism), where the churches have tried to go along with the latest intellectual fads.

You misunderstood me. I was referring to your quote about the golden age of Islam and the connection between religiousn frameworks/establishments and science and the developement of new thought.
    Alright then.

Have mercy, I am working while surfing the forum (i.e. can't consult many secondary sources right now) and you keep name droping and throwing quotes at me instead of giving me your own thoughts and analysis.
    Let's say my thoughts on the matter parallel those of Nasr's, but since he's the Muslim I'm more than willing to let him do the talking. I'm not referring to your lack of secondary sources, but your comment about having to agree to disagree due to different starting points of discussion. That's grounds for an impasse in many intellectual discussions, and Alasdair MacIntyre has written much about this problem within philosophical discourse.

MBTI
    INTj

Quote Originally Posted by YWIR View Post
    I believe it in inexcusable to mock something so many people find precious and sacred. It was also a pretty stupid move by the newspaper. They must have known that the cartoons would create a big reaction in the Middle East.
    Should an angry mob in a foreign country be allowed to dictate what freedoms we must curtail? Rights will vanish if they are not exercised.

FigerPuppet

Silly Arabs. Are you turning into some kind of traditionalist?

figsfiggyfigs

Quote Originally Posted by SmileyMan View Post
    Silly Arabs. Are you turning into some kind of traditionalist?
    So what if I am? The world is a bleak place without spirituality. As the state of the World deteriorates I find myself seeking comfort in my religion.

I am honestly shocked to see that so many TypoC members are so insensitive to what other people find precious.

So what if I am? The world is a bleak place without spirituality. As the state of the World deteriorates I find myself seeking comfort in my religion.

I am honestly shocked to see that so many TypoC members are so insensitive to what other people find precious.

I'm honestly shocked that you think TypoC members are being insensitive for having different values than you. I value information, I value criticism of institutions, I value many things...but that doesn't make me insensitive. It just means that my values are more important to me than some weird fixation on an image of someone who's been dead for over a thousand years.
    “Some people will tell you that slow is good – but I’m here to tell you that fast is better. I’ve always believed this, in spite of the trouble it’s caused me. Being shot out of a cannon will always be better than being squeezed out of a tube. That is why God made fast motorcycles, Bubba…”

Please . . .

MBTI
    INTj

Freedom is highly cherished by many.

figsfiggyfigs

Quote Originally Posted by Not_Me View Post
    Libel is a legal offense. I believe you can extend the moral justification of those laws to include defamation of something that is spiritually cherished by many.

MBTI
    intp
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx

Quote Originally Posted by Not_Me View Post
    There are better ways to uphold the freedom of speech than simply inciting violent reactions from those that can bee seen to oppose it.