• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Understanding invisible threads that change how actions are judged.

ThatsWhatHeSaid

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
But I don't know how to connect dots without making judgments. It's like I can't even see a situation without making judgments about it's nature to some degree. I probably did miss your point.

Like I said before, connecting the dots isn't about thinking and judgments. It's just about listening attentively and sincerely. You already know how to do it. It's natural and built in you (see: mirror neurons). To get in touch with that, you have to give your calculating mind a break and just be there as best you can. Your job in listening isn't to accomplish anything spectacular; it isn't to solve things for the person, or to get people to like you. No one expects you to understand everything and be 100% empathic and see all of these connections. Being sincere is enough, even if you suck at empathy. I really hope this helps.

I would say that I judge everything the same way, and there might be harshness in that.

I was kinda sensing that. You're the ideal candidate for silly therapy. The idea was inspired by the INFJ I mentioned in my prior post. I can feel the pressure you put on yourself and it feel immensely burdensome. A little respite is well deserved.

CzeCze

RETIRED
MBTI Type
GONE
Five Stars!

For an interesting exercise, go read the rules at INTJforum

I just popped over there and looked at their FAQ.

:shock:

O.M.G. Ugly formatting is against the rules?

Hahahhahaa.

Off the wall/chain/hook anal retentiveness.

Just goes to show the huge difference in approach between different personality types. This particular forum would crumble if those rules were imposed. I personally would not make it past "how u doin' ;)???"

Metamorphosis

MBTI Type
INTJ
I just popped over there and looked at their FAQ.

:shock:

O.M.G. Ugly formatting is against the rules?

Hahahhahaa.

Off the wall/chain/hook anal retentiveness.

Just goes to show the huge difference in approach between different personality types. This particular forum would crumble if those rules were imposed. I personally would not make it past "how u doin' ;)???"

Me neither. In fact, I never even bothered to make a post.

elfinchilde

a white iris
MBTI Type
type
^ Just wondering if it isn't too much of a stretch asking not just one, but an entire group of INTJs, to conform to set rules which they did not personally create. :rofl1:

"Rules are just guidelines." ain't it? ;)

white

~dangerous curves ahead~
MBTI Type
ENTP
But when there's a conflict, doesn't that mean I'm forced to accept someone else's without them explaining their reasoning? I don't really like the idea of having other people's experiences and values shoved down my throat with nothing else to appeal to to protect myself from that. People's personal experiences and values can be a poor substitute for really understanding a situation by examining it.

No, no one is saying you have to accept it without questioning. That is what you're doing now, questioning. And that is a good thing. In a system of absolutes, this would not have been tolerated. The fact that you do dare to raise it, should also demonstrate that it gives room for our personal doubts to be addressed, right?

It is if you have doubts, and you do not raise it, and become secretly unhappy, that is wrong.

I don't really feel like growth is automatically the best thing there is. I only want to grow towards being better and understanding more, not just in any which way. I don't really see life in terms of opportunities and seeking growth. I see it more as setting and occasionally reassessing goals while avoiding pain.

Pain is inavoidable. People will always disappoint you, and you, yourself, in one way or the other. Sometimes staying safe could mean stagnation.

We all seek to grow towards being better and understanding more. But sometimes, it is not a straight line up. Like the stock markets. The general trend is up, but sometimes, there are dips and spikes. Focus not on the dips. But on the overall. You cannot control every dip and spike. All you can do is provide the ground for an overall up.

So, you see the goals there, and you set them. The reassessment comes when new information comes in, the way you're doing now, methinks?

The same way we all do here, isn't it? It is why I said it is a system of relativity. We're all constantly reassessing what works and what doesn't. For forum dynamics, and real life, we do need that adaptability. And we do need to take the falls before we can move for another high.

Well, no. But the way I see it, I only really need to agree with the people I'm going to interact with on the rules governing the behaviors I take, and those that the people who around me take. That's significantly less work. And the systems that are normally defined by people and governments seem to cover more of these than I would ever use in most cases. Honestly, it almost seems like there are enough people like me that are confused without having enough rules and systems in place to prevent people from forcing particular values and experiences down people's throats, and are afraid of what is unknown, that they have shaped certain aspects of our society. I can see things in society that reflect my own thinking. One of them is something many people complain about... bureaucracy and "red tape." Is that sad?

It is never sad if you can see another viewpoint.

Red tape comes about precisely because we're always trying to control things to give us definite outcomes. But in the area of relationships, there are no such definitions possible all the time?

But how I can I rely on something that isn't really tangible? Okay, what reason do people have to be my friend and become a part of my support network, and stay there for a while, merely because I respect them and am honest with them? If that were all that was really needed, wouldn't other people have already figured this out and mined up all the available support for themselves in order to succeed, leaving everyone else at their mercy?

You're friends with someone, in spite of. Not only because of, simply. It means you accept the good, with the bad. You take someone as they are. You know they may hurt you, or betray you. But overall, you know you're better off with them, than without them. There must be enough reason to bear the risk of betrayal, if that makes it clearer for you?

For tangibility, look to actions to support the words. Whom is by your side, guiding you, advising you. Whom pulls you back sometimes. Whom challenges you.

There is an equal trade. It is not true you're giving nothing. By being honest with someone, and talking over things with them openly, you're giving up an element of self-defense. Making yourself vulnerable. You are trusting someone else. it sounds easy, but it isn't. Being truly vulnerable is not easy. Not everyone figures it out, simply. And yes, it'd be nice if you stood up for them too. It is not demanded. But simply, as you wouldn't trust someone who wouldn't stand up for you, why would they trust you if you failed to do the same?

Yes, trust can sometimes be abused. But it can also be repaid. But you'd not know till you give it a shot.

Re: Mined up all available support to succeed. That is using others, and not really a relationship of equals or mutual support. That is not trust.

But I have no way of knowing that I matter to anyone. People say I do, but they could just be saying that so they can get what they want, and then don't really plan to support me or be a real friend. It seems like a reasonable thing to apply to friendships, but I would like to have something to fall back on to stay alive and not be punished unfairly that doesn't depend on people liking me. Something a little more visible and reliable, you know what I mean?

There are no guarantees in relationships, be they among lovers, friends, or even family. I know your pain there. I always sought a white certainty too. I was always disappointed looking for that.

It is a process of trial and error. Learning.

Am I helping you or making you more confused?

:hug:

alcea rosea

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w6
I don't think she was referring to tangible threads (i.e. posts, PMs, threads)... I thought she was just referring to abstract influences on one's judgment of another.

Could be wrong.

Yes, you got it. By social pressure I mean how people influence the judgement of another. Good way of describing it! :)

So my original idea was try to explain to Athenian that social pressure (how people influence the judgement of another) will affect the forcing of rules too. That much have been admitted here by the admins also and it's only human. So not only logic is affecting people's bahavior or rules because people aren't 100% logical creatures. People are affected by the social environment, social pressure, social interactions etc. Those invisible social rules are not necessarily written anywhere that is why athenian you are not able to see them and I don't see them either. They are invisible rules that has to be found out, has to be sensed by your intuition (this one you will love, use S to ge N :D).

Wandering - I haven't been able to find that theory online. That means I'll have to go to library in one of these days and find the social psychology book there. When I do find it (the theory), I'll start a new thread about it. ;)

Athenian200

Protocol Droid
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
No, no one is saying you have to accept it without questioning. That is what you're doing now, questioning. And that is a good thing. In a system of absolutes, this would not have been tolerated. The fact that you do dare to raise it, should also demonstrate that it gives room for our personal doubts to be addressed, right?

It is if you have doubts, and you do not raise it, and become secretly unhappy, that is wrong.

Pain is inavoidable. People will always disappoint you, and you, yourself, in one way or the other. Sometimes staying safe could mean stagnation.

We all seek to grow towards being better and understanding more. But sometimes, it is not a straight line up. Like the stock markets. The general trend is up, but sometimes, there are dips and spikes. Focus not on the dips. But on the overall. You cannot control every dip and spike. All you can do is provide the ground for an overall up.

So, you see the goals there, and you set them. The reassessment comes when new information comes in, the way you're doing now, methinks?

The same way we all do here, isn't it? It is why I said it is a system of relativity. We're all constantly reassessing what works and what doesn't. For forum dynamics, and real life, we do need that adaptability. And we do need to take the falls before we can move for another high.

It is never sad if you can see another viewpoint.

Red tape comes about precisely because we're always trying to control things to give us definite outcomes. But in the area of relationships, there are no such definitions possible all the time?

You're friends with someone, in spite of. Not only because of, simply. It means you accept the good, with the bad. You take someone as they are. You know they may hurt you, or betray you. But overall, you know you're better off with them, than without them. There must be enough reason to bear the risk of betrayal, if that makes it clearer for you?

For tangibility, look to actions to support the words. Whom is by your side, guiding you, advising you. Whom pulls you back sometimes. Whom challenges you.

There is an equal trade. It is not true you're giving nothing. By being honest with someone, and talking over things with them openly, you're giving up an element of self-defense. Making yourself vulnerable. You are trusting someone else. it sounds easy, but it isn't. Being truly vulnerable is not easy. Not everyone figures it out, simply. And yes, it'd be nice if you stood up for them too. It is not demanded. But simply, as you wouldn't trust someone who wouldn't stand up for you, why would they trust you if you failed to do the same?

Yes, trust can sometimes be abused. But it can also be repaid. But you'd not know till you give it a shot.

Re: Mined up all available support to succeed. That is using others, and not really a relationship of equals or mutual support. That is not trust.

There are no guarantees in relationships, be they among lovers, friends, or even family. I know your pain there. I always sought a white certainty too. I was always disappointed looking for that.

It is a process of trial and error. Learning.

Am I helping you or making you more confused?

:hug:

I just can't live that way, I'm sorry. I'm not willing to open myself up to people and let them screw me over because the experience might be beneficial later on. I'm not someone who's willing to open themselves up to abuse and get myself into situations where various other people can force me to be around them or do something for them against my will because of some threat (legal, health, career, etc) that they hold over my head. I want some semblance of a guarantee against that which isn't dependent on people liking me, or I'll never trust anyone.

I can't live in such a constant state of ambiguity. I just can't think that way all the time. I can refocus periodically, but I can't constantly think that way. That's just too much, I need structure. Sorry, I'm just not able to deal with this.

Note that it's fairly easy for me to trust people here, because I'm fairly safe behind my keyboard and four walls, so it's not like you could really do anything to me from where you are, or really have a reason to come here if that was what you wanted to do. You could hurt me emotionally/socially in the context of the forum, of course, but that's all you could do. There's a lot more to fear in the real world, unfortunately.

Life without definite rules is a terrifying thing. You have to, single-handedly, ceaselessly outwit and outmaneuver everyone around you 24/7, while they cooperatively in rapidly changing alliances and rivalries, that you have to predict and play off of one another, use every trick they can think of against you in order to take everything they can from you to improve their own life unless you succeed each time. And the deck is always stacked against you because many of them are more experienced, have more intrinsic intelligence, more creativity, and have particular natural talents they can use. How does everyone else tolerate this in stride, why does it not seem awful to anyone else? It's like living in a nightmarishly difficult strategy game.

So now I know what's expected of me, and I also know that it's not something I can reasonably be expected to cope with. :(

MBTI Type
INTJ
^
That, as they say, is life. I don't mean to be glib or condescending. I just mean that you've accurately described what it means to be a living human on this planet. This is what people mean when they say "Life is not fair." It's more than a tired aphorism, it's the truth. Any attempt to make life fair, like law, is at heart an artifice. It doesn't seem awful to anyone else because I think most people have an intrinsic understanding that this is the case and have learned to accept it. I think most others also have more faith in their fellow man than you do. Just because your fellow man CAN hurt you doesn't mean he will. I think most people are as likely to help you as hurt you.

You can either jump in and try to swim, or you can curl into a little ball in the corner. I hope you come to find that the former is more rewarding than the latter.

elfinchilde

a white iris
MBTI Type
type
Concur fully with FMW.

I can't live in such a constant state of ambiguity. I just can't think that way all the time. I can refocus periodically, but I can't constantly think that way. That's just too much, I need structure. Sorry, I'm just not able to deal with this.

Life without definite rules is a terrifying thing. You have to, single-handedly, ceaselessly outwit and outmaneuver everyone around you 24/7, while they cooperatively in rapidly changing alliances and rivalries, that you have to predict and play off of one another, use every trick they can think of against you in order to take everything they can from you to improve their own life unless you succeed each time. And the deck is always stacked against you because many of them are more experienced, have more intrinsic intelligence, more creativity, and have particular natural talents they can use. How does everyone else tolerate this in stride, why does it not seem awful to anyone else? It's like living in a nightmarishly difficult strategy game.

So now I know what's expected of me, and I also know that it's not something I can reasonably be expected to cope with. :(

My dear. This IS life. And you can cope with it. It is simply whether you choose to, or not. Don't underestimate your own strength.

Perhaps if it helps: find someone you trust, who is good in the social game. And then, you can slowly learn by mimicry. The way how, for me, Fe isn't strong, so i pick up from aelan/other people, on how to behave in social contexts, and in this way, it is conceivable to form a set of rules on how to behave in emotive settings.

because what you've been understanding, is the rational logic behind actions. The thing is that, humans are by and large emotional, not logical. What you hence need to improve on now, perhaps, is to understand the emotive logic behind actions.

That is why, in law, there is justice, but too, there is mitigation and mercy. Which was what Jennifer and Met were trying to say. The grounds are always shifting, Athenian. There is never any solid rules in life.

Athenian200

Protocol Droid
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
I refuse. I curse this life, and everyone who appreciates it. I will not learn to drink this filth gleefully.

bluebell

MBTI Type
INTP
I refuse. I curse this life, and everyone who appreciates it. I will not learn to drink this filth gleefully.

Your choice of words is telling. You seem to have a disgust reaction to ambiguity - disentangling the reasons for such a strong reaction may help you in the long run.

alcea rosea

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w6

:( I'm sorry to hear that but it's your choice. Life can be fun with people but it involves risks too. Risk of being rejected and to be hurt.

Tigerlily

unscannable
MBTI Type
TIGR
Enneagram
3w4
I'm curious as to how you became this way. The obvious one, neglected and/or ridiculed as a child? You definitely have a vibe about you where I don't trust you nor would I confide in you. We have spoken a few times via pm and I am always sure not to say anything that I wouldn't want repeated.

You're an intelligent person but you appear negative and bitter. Your words above could possibly be leading down an early path of healing those deep wounds. I would say you're really at war with yourself and I do empathize with you regarding this.

Athenian200

Protocol Droid
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
Everything is disgusting because it has no order. Only order is beautiful or meaningful, everything else is filth and ugliness to me. So the only way I can get any pleasure out of life is to continually impose my idea of order on everything I have control over, and try to appreciate those things while they last (which they won't), because they will be the only things worth appreciating.

Sorry, I can't think of a better description... I remember drawing and thinking about things like this even when I was very young, almost as if the idea were innate for me.

prplchknz

MBTI Type
yupp

If you can enjoy life with out people kudos to you. I tried and though I'm not one to be the life of the party or have more friends than I can count on one hand I could not stand not having anyone to talk to ever.

I'm beginning to understand why people risk getting hurt it beats being lonely. Though part of me still wants to go hide from the world and never interact with it, but that's the part of me who is a kid It's not fair it was my toy! make him give it back/mommy he hit me!" luckily their's the other side of me realizing I have to share and people are sometimes shitty but sometimes they're also very nice. We all have good days and bad days and if someone is particularly mean to me I figure maybe their day is shit it doesn't mean I'm not hurt. If someone betrays me I'm mad, who wouldn't it's just I trust the person less the next time I talk to them. I do forgive pretty easily though

I doubt my post helped any but felt I needed to share.

I have a feeling we are two opposites when it comes to justice and I'm sure somewhere in the middle would be best so maybe I could try to be more like you and understand that laws and rules exist and that they are laws for a reason (even if I don't agree with them). I obey them cuz I'm so scared of confrontation or if I do break a law I make sure no one will find out.

bluebell

MBTI Type
INTP
Everything is disgusting because it has no order. Only order is beautiful or meaningful, everything else is filth and ugliness to me. So the only way I can get any pleasure out of life is to continually impose my idea of order on everything I have control over, and try to appreciate those things while they last (which they won't), because they will be the only things worth appreciating.

Sorry, I can't think of a better description... I remember drawing and thinking about things like this even when I was very young, almost as if the idea were innate for me.

I think I kinda understand the need for order and control - it can make things feel safe and predictable. Although, by the sounds of it, you find it beautiful.

I'm not sure I get why ambiguities etc feel like filth and ugliness to you. I can understand being bewildered or annoyed by ambiguity, but the disgust reaction is confusing. A desire for order and control can be innate, but I'm guessing the disgust reaction is learned, rather than innate.

Tigerlily

unscannable
MBTI Type
TIGR
Enneagram
3w4
I understand what you're saying. I feel the same way only I control it better. Now when you say order, do you mean everything or just people? I like my house cleaned a certain way and when it isn't that way I am not happy. There are times where I'll become so overwhelmed when things aren't just so that I have to step back and look at how unrealistic I'm being and stop myself from doing it. I feel that way about people too. I stopped giving out advice and hanging on to it years ago because people will do what they want to do even if it means they're doing it all wrong in my mind.

Thanks, but I get what you're saying. You're neurotic (so am I sometimes) and likely have OCD. Have you considered medication to help alleviate these things or are you happy this way?

Athenian200

Protocol Droid
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
I understand what you're saying. I feel the same way only I control it better. Now when you say order, do you mean everything or just people? I like my house cleaned a certain way and when it isn't that way I am not happy. There are times where I'll become so overwhelmed when things aren't just so that I have to step back and look at how unrealistic I'm being and stop myself from doing it. I feel that way about people too. I stopped giving out advice and hanging on to it years ago because people will do what they want to do even if it means they're doing it all wrong in my mind.

I don't need to control other people, I only want to prevent them from controlling me so that I can have control over myself. I don't like the idea of being controlled by them, when such control would be based on whims rather than having any particular order.

Also, I find beauty in order, but not in randomness or ambiguity. To say that things are chaotic and have no order, is to me to say that there is no beauty or meaning in anything. After thinking about it, I realize they probably weren't right (or I misread their statement), and there actually is order and beauty in at least some things, they just don't value or notice it the way I do. And that makes things easier for me.

Thanks, but I get what you're saying. You're neurotic (so am I sometimes) and likely have OCD. Have you considered medication to help alleviate these things or are you happy this way?

I'm happy much of the time, actually... just a few situations come up that disgust me like this periodically.

Ender

Large Member
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
2w%
Wow, you really do have issues.

Claiming you don't want anyone to control you or that you don't want to control anyone else. Then turning around and talking about how you want laws to be follow to the letter and that you find beauty in order.

You do realize that rules are there as a way of controlling the actions of people? That by following them to the letter you're letting yourself be controlled by those who put them in place and who enforce them? That the only way to go about enforcing them yourself is to assert control over whoever would break the rules?

Talk about hypocritical.

disregard

mrs
MBTI Type
INFP

Men are born soft and supple;
dead, they are stiff and hard.
Plants are born tender and pliant;
dead, they are brittle and dry.

Thus whoever is stiff and inflexible
is a disciple of death.
Whoever is soft and yielding
is a disciple of life.

The hard and stiff will be broken.
The soft and supple will prevail.

--Lao Tzu