MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    7w6
    Socionics
    ????

Quote Originally Posted by Wandering View Post
    I did, but I wasn't sure what you meant

I say it gets even more complicated than that, because "popularity" and "being well-liked" are not universal things. What will make you well-liked in one setting might make you not liked at all in another.

Also, "popularity" depends on, well, *people* expressing their likings and dislikings. But not everyone expresses such opinions as loudly as everyone else. So some people might be very popular with a small but vocal group, while some others might be quite popular with a larger but more silent group, and it's not clear who will appear to be most popular to the general population.

That's especially important where sanctions are concerned, and people voice their opinions about them...
    Somebody noticed my post!

I studied some social psychology and there they use some kind of chart where statuses of people in groups can be defined just by marking down the interactions between people. So same could be done here. So everybody who gets the most answers to their posts or blogs or threads could have one point + or - point for each (depending on the comment). So roughly the person who gets the biggest number of + is the most popular kid on the block. It's very simple and linear thinking but I think it mostly works also.

I don't really mean that I would start counting but just based reading quite many threads a person could name the most popular people in MBTIc quickly. That is social interaction.

MBTI
    TIGR
    Enneagram
    3w4
    Socionics
    EII None

^Yea! You're not invisible! I am, but it's okay.
    Time is a delicate mistress.

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    7w6
    Socionics
    ????

^
    No you're not!

I'm much more invicible than you.

MBTI
    TIGR
    Enneagram
    3w4
    Socionics
    EII None

No, we're invincible. heehee

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    7w6
    Socionics
    ????

I agree.

Let's just disappear!

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Quote Originally Posted by Alcea Rosea View Post
    Nobody here takes my comments seriousy
    Oh, fine, here you go.

Doesn't social pressure play it's part in all social interaction even online? So let's say person A is well liked and breaks rules. Person B is not well liked and breaks the same rules. -> B gets more severe punishment than A because B is less liked. People demand less punishment for nice people. What you say of this?
    It's partly because they're nice. But I think there's also a sense of what's needed and not needed.

More specifically, if someone's nice and responsive to criticism, you don't need to slap them down or try to control them when they stray. You know they are responsible enough to pay attention and then change themselves to accommodate the rules.

But if someone's difficult and/or causes lots of problems (and is thus unresponsive to monitoring their OWN behavior), then people are far more prone to whacking them with a big stick and letting them catch the full brunt of punishment.

So people who are self-responsible receive more mercy than those who wave their middle fingers at the rules.

Quote Originally Posted by Jen View Post
    No, we're invincible. heehee
    I agree.
    Let's just disappear!
    Though nothing, will keep us together
    We could steal time, just for one day
    We can be Heroes, for ever and ever
    What d'you say?
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

MBTI
    TIGR
    Enneagram
    3w4
    Socionics
    EII None

*poof* we're gone!

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram

So true, Jennifer. It's all intertwined- what looks like favoritism could just be a product of vastly different responses to being asked to knock it off.
    The one who buggers a fire burns his penis
    -anonymous graffiti in the basilica at Pompeii

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    7w6
    Socionics
    ????

A second answer!

Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer View Post
    So people who are self-responsible receive more mercy than those who wave their middle fingers at the rules.
    I agree. That I was trying to suggest with the social pressure post.

*poof* we're gone!
    Yes!
    We got a poem!

MBTI
    INFJ

I studied some social psychology and there they use some kind of chart where statuses of people in groups can be defined just by marking down the interactions between people. So same could be done here. So everybody who gets the most answers to their posts or blogs or threads could have one point + or - point for each (depending on the comment). So roughly the person who gets the biggest number of + is the most popular kid on the block. It's very simple and linear thinking but I think it mostly works also.
    I'm not sure it would work. I can see several problems with such a technique:

1- What about the PMs and the rep system? The rep system, in particular, has made it so that many people will just rep someone to express approval with a post, instead of publicly posting a one-liner agreement post. So the rep system would definitely have to be taken into account, which would be highly problematic since rep comments are private.

2- What people post doesn't necessarily reflect what people think, and there can be *many* reasons for that. Some people are too shy to post disagreeing posts, some people don't see the point of saying "I agree with what X said", some people act differently depending on whether they like a poster or not, and so on. So assuming that what people post is an accurate reflection of what they think and/or feel might not be a reasonable thing to do.

3- What about fluff? Fluff is almost anathema to some people, and yet it's also almost the main way of expressing personal liking for some other people. So it would be deeply unfair to one or more significant portions of the forum population to use OR not use fluff posts - damned if you do, damned if you don't.

So no, I don't think that *true* popularity could be easily estimated just by looking at people's posts. But it's just my opinion, obviously

^Yea! You're not invisible! I am, but it's okay.
    *Snorts* The day you become invisible on this board, Jen, is the day the Earth stops rotating