User Tag List

First 2101112131422 Last

Results 111 to 120 of 262

  1. #111
    heart on fire
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    8,457

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Athenian200 View Post
    They are not the only ones who are beyond caring what others think, Seanan. They just took a different path, and put themselves through something difficult unnecessarily. If they deserve any sentiment, it's pity for not seeing their own futility.
    How do you think increases in human right occur? Do you think the higher level controllers just give them to us because they are so good?

    We only have what we have because someone else stood up once and faced the powerful to fight for it.

    For example: Like having the weekend and a eight hour workday? Thank a union member who stood and faced a Pinkerton with a machine gun. many people in this country used to work a mandatory 16 hours a day, six days a week for crap wages, no benefits, no safety regs, no sick time and their lives were bleak.

  2. #112
    mrs disregard's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    MBTI
    INFP
    Posts
    7,855

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by EffEmDoubleyou View Post
    After reading this post, I'm actually glad. Now I can ignore this thread safe in the thought that there's absolutely nothing that can be accomplished here.
    Yep.. lost cause.

    Ironically, however, we are the ones that apparently need to be fixed.

  3. #113
    Procrastinating
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Posts
    954

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Athenian200 View Post
    :rolli:

    They are not the only ones who are beyond caring what others think, Seanan. They just took a different path, and put themselves through something difficult unnecessarily. If they deserve any sentiment, it's pity for not seeing their own futility.
    Why not give me something that wasn't lifted from "Will to Power?" Original thought is tuff.

  4. #114
    Highly Hollow Wandering's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    MBTI
    INFJ
    Posts
    873

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Athenian200 View Post
    I'm not willing to open myself up to people and let them screw me over because the experience might be beneficial later on.
    Then you will never discover the whole nature of life.

    I'm not someone who's willing to open themselves up to abuse and get myself into situations where various other people can force me to be around them or do something for them against my will because of some threat (legal, health, career, etc) that they hold over my head. I want some semblance of a guarantee against that which isn't dependent on people liking me, or I'll never trust anyone.
    Nonsensical. It's like someone holding their breath and arguing that they won't breathe the air until they have a garantee that it cannot possibly be polluted. All they're gonna get is that they will die of self-imposed asphyxiation. That's what you're doing to yourself.

    I can't live in such a constant state of ambiguity. I just can't think that way all the time. I can refocus periodically, but I can't constantly think that way. That's just too much, I need structure. Sorry, I'm just not able to deal with this.
    Stop depending so much on Ti/Te and start using your Ni to LEAD the way. Ni has no problem with ambiguity, because it understands that it is only an illusion, that there is order under the apparent mess. DomNi TRUSTS that it will find the order in the ambiguity.

    Life without definite rules is a terrifying thing. You have to, single-handedly, ceaselessly outwit and outmaneuver everyone around you 24/7, while they cooperatively in rapidly changing alliances and rivalries, that you have to predict and play off of one another, use every trick they can think of against you in order to take everything they can from you to improve their own life unless you succeed each time. And the deck is always stacked against you because many of them are more experienced, have more intrinsic intelligence, more creativity, and have particular natural talents they can use. How does everyone else tolerate this in stride, why does it not seem awful to anyone else? It's like living in a nightmarishly difficult strategy game.
    Yup. And you will never successfully play it as long as you try and play with someone else's hand. If you're an INFJ, then your hand is Ni/Fe. Fight against it as much as you want, but that won't change. As long as you'll try to face life using Ti/Te, you will FAIL in finding peace and contentedness. But give Ni and Fe a chance to show you their true worth, and you will finally learn to navigate more or less confidently the waters of life. Your choice.

    Quote Originally Posted by Athenian200 View Post
    Everything is disgusting because it has no order. Only order is beautiful or meaningful, everything else is filth and ugliness to me. So the only way I can get any pleasure out of life is to continually impose my idea of order on everything I have control over, and try to appreciate those things while they last (which they won't), because they will be the only things worth appreciating.

    Sorry, I can't think of a better description... I remember drawing and thinking about things like this even when I was very young, almost as if the idea were innate for me.
    Yeah, you were high on Ti when you were a CHILD. It's time to grow up, Athenian. It's time to learn to use your ADULT functions. You WILL, eventually, because your DomNi will not be muzzled, it WILL one day figure out that you've been doing it wrong. But you can CHOOSE to speed things up by actually giving thoughts to the possibility that the paranoid way you favour might not be a good way for you to live.

    Good luck. And yes, it sucks to be an INFJ at times like this.

  5. #115
    Procrastinating
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Posts
    954

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by heart View Post
    How do you think increases in human right occur? Do you think the higher level controllers just give them to us because they are so good?

    We only have what we have because someone else stood up once and faced the powerful to fight for it.

    For example: Like having the weekend and a eight hour workday? Thank a union member who stood and faced a Pinkerton with a machine gun. many people in this country used to work a mandatory 16 hours a day, six days a week for crap wages, no benefits, no safety regs, no sick time and their lives were bleak.
    Yup, and this country (USA) I hold so dear for having given me so much wouldn't be here for me as it is today were it not for a quest for freedom. Kudos and gratitude to those who died for it... rebells all.

  6. #116
    heart on fire
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    8,457

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Wandering View Post
    Then you will never discover the whole nature of life.
    This is true. I remember in my mid teens, when I had my heart throughly broken and crushed and the thought came to me "Wow, I am really into real life now, I matter enough in this world that feel this kind of personally directed/inflicted pain. I am no longer just watching life go by, I am a player in it. I am no longer aching to connect, I have connected and experienced connection. I will again."

    That's life. Sometimes learning comes through pain and sometimes through joy but always a gain in someway.

  7. #117
    Emerging Tallulah's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    MBTI
    INTP
    Posts
    6,028

    Default

    Athenian, I think what you're really dealing with here is a worldview that has evolved entirely from defense mechanisms, but since the defenses of order and rules seem logical to you, you think that's how everyone should operate. You are too mired in them to see that they really ARE just that, though. Defenses. I have been caught up in defense mechanisms like that, allowing myself to keep the world at bay by living in my own head and passing judgment on the choices that others make.

    The problem with this way of thinking is that it is not an accurate picture of how the world works. Sure, you can find others that think the way you do, but they are equally miserable--not equally idealistic and virtuous. I think you have this idealistic view of how the world should work with an ironclad set of rules that everyone follows. The problem with that is that everyone then has to behave perfectly. Communism, for example, is a great idea in theory, but the world has to be filled with perfect people in order to make it work. In practice, people become the victims of the power-hungry in charge, and dissatisfied to only have what they are allotted. You have to allow that practice is not the same as theory. There are good and bad people in the world, and no one in this world is given the certainty from the outset of knowing which is which. You have to trust yourself and your instincts. And you have to get rid of the preconceived notion that people are inherently rotten.

    I think you really would benefit from therapy, and I don't mean that to be condescending. I think most of us would. I know I do. You can go on with these views of yours, holding tightly and believing that the rest of the world is wrong, but trust me, one of these days, the walls will come tumbling down, and you'll realize that you will HAVE to change to survive. You don't realize it now, but these views you have are too rigid to be healthy, and they are more negative than the situation warrants. You think we're all "caving" to the downward spiral of the structure of society. We're not. The structure you crave does not exist in the way you think it does. You are holding yourself and others to impossible standards, and while you do so, you are punishing yourself unnecessarily. A therapist can help you see where you're hurting yourself, but only if you allow them to. That takes TRUST.

    You say you are usually happy. I think maybe you are usually not obviously UN-happy, but you don't realize how much happier you could be if you realized you don't have to hold yourself to these self-imposed standards.

    I think if you found yourself in a situation where you needed mercy rather than justice, you might start to realize where we're all coming from. Sure, we try to do right, and stay out of trouble. What if you found yourself unjustly accused? What if you found yourself needing to defend your own life? Wouldn't you want more than the cold, brutal hand of justice in your corner? Wouldn't you want someone to take into account the circumstances of the situation and your character?

    One more point: People are different. They internalize things and apply them differently. Where you go crazy thinking that there are rules that people are just applying seemingly randomly and in different ways than they were intended, I personally could not live in a world that was made up of rules that I had to follow rigidly without any room for personal interpretation. I struggled for a long time with my faith on just such an issue, and found relief in realizing that there wasn't just ONE way to interpret a "rule," and that I didn't have to have other's viewpoints imposed on me. Where definity and order gives you joy, it brings others great emotional pain.

  8. #118
    DoubleplusUngoodNonperson
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    MBTI
    Hype
    Posts
    2,078

    Default

    "Just because we fought one invisible criminal doesn't mean everybody's invisible.

    I understand that, but it does mean that some of them could be invisible, and I think they're all invisible in this room."

  9. #119
    Enigma Nadir's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    MBTI
    INxJ
    Enneagram
    4
    Socionics
    ILI
    Posts
    544

    Default

    A lot of theorizing about life, you've done, athenian --
    but have you actually tried living?

    I get the sense that you're not really speaking from experience, but more like predicted experience you think you'll be living through, should you step out of your imposed boundaries out into the real world. Which seems sort of a weak foundation, given that you're building up unnecessary predispositions about life. You might have a fondness for order, but I think you're more enamored with the idea of crafting it from your workshop and your workshop only as opposed to order itself. And because life consists of much more than your workshop, you're inherently hostile towards life, simply because you don't know much about it and assume that to be a negative based on what you observe from the window of your workshop, which shows you what you want to see, really. Why do that at all? That's a fairly limited perspective to mull things over from.

    Go out and experience the dynamism of life for yourself. Your exquisite statue, however much you like it, represents only one small aspect of it. If you manage to do that, you might even be able integrate what you've perceived, to give your order-craft some measure of animation, dynamism. Or come up with new ones.

    I now understand why you were so afraid of turning 20. Are you afraid of leaving your workshop behind you? Well, I am sorry to say this, but eventually, you'll have to do exactly that. And truly, it hasn't much to do with courage, trust, or acceptance, but they are certainly helpful in adapting. And no matter how much you're disgusted by it for whatever reason, that does not mean anything, either -- an exclamation of disgust is a judgment. Judgment has no meaning without action or some other form of outward expression, however, and you certainly are not one to act.
    Not really.

  10. #120
    insert random title here Randomnity's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    6w5 sp/sx
    Posts
    9,489

    Default

    Athenian, what terrible things have happened to you, such that this is your world view?

    Are you happy? Do you think this way of thinking will contribute to your future success?

    I like you and I think you have good intentions, which is why I'm deeply saddened by the attitude towards life that you've expressed here.

Similar Threads

  1. [NT] How narcissistic are you (aware that you are)?
    By Economica in forum The NT Rationale (ENTP, INTP, ENTJ, INTJ)
    Replies: 46
    Last Post: 12-05-2015, 10:44 PM
  2. Replies: 8
    Last Post: 05-15-2013, 03:55 AM
  3. Replies: 9
    Last Post: 10-31-2012, 12:36 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO