• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Was Jesus white?

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Jesus was white with blue eyes.
(Cuz that's what he looked like in my picture at Sunday School!)

Which only shows that he's the miracle of God, because no other Jewish baby ever looks like that.

Haven

Blind Guardian
MBTI Type
ESFJ
Enneagram
2w3
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
This thread makes me lol, but then I think for a minute and I want to cry.

mujigay

Intergalactic Badass
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Jesus is whatever makes people feel best about themselves.

Which means that if said people are white, he's gonna be white.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
This thread makes me lol, but then I think for a minute and I want to cry.

I remember in white Evangelical circles 10-15 years ago when I heard lots of complaints about black people portraying Jesus as black in plays and art, and "how wrong it was." I mean, the were really HOT under the collar about it, you'd think it was a stoning offense for blaspheming the character of God.

Yeah, it's sad... since whites have habitually stolen the image of Jesus for decades if not centuries. Recasting a savior in the eyes of the people is a way for them to feel kin to that savior; it doesn't even have to be a historical comment per se, it's just a way to tell a story to say, "this guy understands us and can identify with our tribulations." Just like on 9/11, people the world over were "American" because they empathized with what our nation was going through.

(Of course, some denoms of Christianity are notorious from not being able to separate allusion from history from myth from whatever else... everything is forced to be literal.)

It's kind of sad to see people fighting for ownership over someone's image who is realistically supposed to be for "red and yellow, black and white," as simplistic as that sounds. Jesus was Jewish; ergo, he most likely (99.999999%) looked like a Jew of the time. There's not much more to be said about his appearance besides that.

Qlip

Post Human Post
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Jesus wasn't white. But he is white now. Everything and everybody in heaven is white, and the only thing on TV is Ed Sullivan, and nobody has to eat any strange ethnic food. It's the reward given for living a good life.

Craft

Probably Most Brilliant
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
5w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Geographically and Historically speaking, he should be Arab.

Agent Jelly

MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
8w7
I don't think Jesus would have been white like he is portrayed in the catholic artwork. I think he would of been on the darker side and probably a more olive skin tone.

FDG

pathwise dependent
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
7w8
Uh yes he was very likely white, native lebanese / syrian / israeli people are white even nowadays, even though they can tan quickly and nicely.

Lol I'm dumbfounded that some ppl here think olive skin isn't white. Take any olive skin person and check out his unexposed skin...it's goning to be pale.

ZPowers

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Uh yes he was very likely white, native lebanese / syrian / israeli people are white even nowadays, even though they can tan quickly and nicely.

Well, as noted, the people he descended from (King David, Moses, Adam and Eve, etc) were from areas like Egypt and around Iraq and Iran. And it's worth noting that Israel was, until 1948, part of Palestine. Around the time it formed, a lot of Jewish people from Europe migrated there, making it white in a way it hadn't ever really been before. Still, it isn't totally uncommon for people to consider Middle Eastern and caucasian the same thing, so it's not unfair to say that.

Still, it's pretty unlikely he was as white as this:

god_jesus_christ.jpg

FDG

pathwise dependent
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
7w8
It's not uncommon to consider middle easters as caucasians because they ARE technically caucasian. Of course I know Israel is full of white people from europe now, but the same cannot be said for Lebanon or Syria, and you'll still find plenty of people that - excepting the large amount of sunlight they receive - would be white. Btw, many people from Algeria, Libya, Egypt etc. quickly become white when unexposed to strong sunlight. I know because both in Italy and France there are many immigrants from those countries, their 2nd gen's skin tone is basically the same as your average native...
Anyway yes he probably didn't look anything like that, it's just one among many pictorial representations....

Valiant

Courage is immortality
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
8w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Jesus was a hominid of the species homo sapiens. He had genes almost identical with a chimpanze.

And indeed most of his genes were identical with a banana or an orchid.

Yes, Jesus was one small part of the tree of life that began about four thousand million years ago.

And we are one family of life because each one us has an identical structure to our DNA passed from generation to generation and from species to species.

One might have thought Jesus would mention this to us but we had to wait for, "The Origin of Species", and its confirmation in the gerome, to be told of this most important fact about us and Jesus.

Jesus was indeed part orchid and chimpanzee, Victor... The presence of banana in him was through ingestion, though, as the picture of our Lord Jesus Christ clearly shows.

attachment.php

Eric B

ⒺⓉⒷ
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Also, as for the assumed purity of one race over another, I don't think there's anything explicitly about that in the Bible, though some people have tried to use stories like the "curse of Ham" and the Cain and Abel story to imply some races are "cursed" or inferior.
The irony of that, is that God did not even place that curse. It was Noah; and it doesn't even say God ever honored that curse (people probably assumed he did, because the Canaanites played such a negative role later in scripture. But that was just because they remained close by. Otherwise, all other gentile groups were basically similar in religion and morality).

I don't think Jesus would have been white like he is portrayed in the catholic artwork. I think he would of been on the darker side and probably a more olive skin tone.
It was a 15th or so century Italian who supposedly modeled for that. Then, subsequent pictures were modified, like replacing the blond hair with the long brown hair, the less round face, etc.

It's not uncommon to consider middle easters as caucasians because they ARE technically caucasian. Of course I know Israel is full of white people from europe now, but the same cannot be said for Lebanon or Syria, and you'll still find plenty of people that - excepting the large amount of sunlight they receive - would be white. Btw, many people from Algeria, Libya, Egypt etc. quickly become white when unexposed to strong sunlight. I know because both in Italy and France there are many immigrants from those countries, their 2nd gen's skin tone is basically the same as your average native...
Anyway yes he probably didn't look anything like that, it's just one among many pictorial representations....
But weren't those still people who ultimately migrated down there from Europe, and then mixed in?
I know the census form used to define all of the people from the whole area as "Caucasian", but Caucasian means the people from the Caucasus mountains, which were the waves of tribes that came down from that regions (The Iranians: Medes, Persians, Scythians; the Greeks: Ionians, Dorians, etc. The Romans: Latins, Etruscans, etc. The Teutons (Germanic): Angles, Saxons, Vandals, Goths, Heruli, etc; and the Celts, Baltics, etc).

Hebrews and Arabs are a totally different stock. Using the Noah-based table of nations, the Caucasians are Japhetic like the Asians, while the Hebrews and Arabs are Semitic. They may have been lighter than Africans, but they were still "colored".
Here in NY, where you have strong Jewish areas, you will often see dark Israelis.

Mad Hatter

Head Pigeon
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
-1w
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Not only was Jesus white, but very likely a loaf of white bread to boot (cf. "This is my body ...")

Valiant

Courage is immortality
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
8w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Nah, he was definitely a dude. And a jew. Therefore semitic. Whether that's white or brown is up to... Eugenics or whatever crap.