User Tag List

First 12

1. Would you find it disrespectful for someone ask you to participate in a religious ceremony that contradicted your own?

Not at all. I'd take it in the spirit offered. Isn't that what we do every time we attend a wedding in a place of worship that's not our own?

2. If you said no to question one, would you find it disrespectful if your decision was judged by them?

Yes. No one should be judged for conscientiously objecting to such a request.

3. Have you ever asked someone to participate in any religious rituals or ceremonies like praying, communion, wiccan ceremonies, etc? Were you nervous to ask?

I don't have a strong enough conviction in my own religion to ask others to participate in it unless they made their interest known.
    Everybody have fun tonight. Everybody Wang Chung tonight.

Johari
    /Nohari

MBTI
    GONE

1. Would you find it disrespectful for someone ask you to participate in a religious ceremony that contradicted your own?
    Depends on what you mean by 'contradict'. The last religious service I attended was Shabbat service at the college Hillel. The only thing contradictory to me would have to be connected or be unethical/immoral or something I found personal distasteful. So, Scientology is out. I would also not attend fundraisers for Scientology or a known cult.

HA.

2. If you said no to question one, would you find it disrespectful if your decision was judged by them?
    Not really 'disrespectful', I'd figure taking exception was part of their religious views and those views are not mine.

3. Have you ever asked someone to participate in any religious rituals or ceremonies like praying, communion, wiccan ceremonies, etc? Were you nervous to ask?
    Maybe when I was a kid and attended church regularly - but even then I can't think of anything. Otherwise, no. I can't imagine asking someone to attend with me unless we were dating seriously. I consider those matters private and probably of great personal importance to people, not something I want to get into with acquaintances.
    “If you want to tell people the truth, make them laugh, otherwise they'll kill you.” ― Oscar Wilde

"I'm outtie 5000" ― Romulux

Johari/Nohari

MBTI
    ENTP

So, I wouldn't feel offended if someone asked me to participate in something, although I will almost always refuse (I'm Jewish, so it's very easy for it to contradict my religion). I'd be a bit unimpressed with a friend who invited me to church or something, if I'd talked to them about religion, because they would hopefully know that I don't feel comfortable at churches (I mean, unless I'm going there to look at architecture. But that's different. I can also deal with being dragged to a Unitarian one, although I would generally not pray there). I very much dislike it when people assume that you'll participate and make it opt-out rather than opt-in.

I would find it immensely disrespectful to be judged for refusing.

I have asked non-Jews if they'd like to come to Jewish events, but that is mostly because it's generally very food based. There is maybe one non-Jewish friend who'd I'd ask to synagogue, and that's mostly because he's very interested in it, although quite Christian. If he invited me to church, I'd probably go once as an educational experience and ask him a lot of questions after.

I was raised by a fairly angry Atheist and a somewhat religious Jew, so a lot of my dad's "religion should never be forced on you!" stuff combined with Judaism's aversion to other gods, so I tend to feel very uncomfortable when anyone is more than slightly pushy about religion.
    Last edited by celesul; 07-16-2011 at 06:11 PM.
    "'You scoundrel, you have wronged me,' hissed the philosopher. 'May you live forever!'" - Ambrose Bierce

MBTI
    INTP

Pfft. It's all horseshit so, no, I'm not offended.