User Tag List

123 Last

MBTI
    ESFJ

Default Naturalist Vs Creationist

Do you favour one theory over the other?
    Does it have to be one or the other, if not then whats in the middle?
    Is it too black and white?

I've just started reading up on this subject about the meaning of life (more info to ponder) and come across these theories which inturn is getting the brain to work in overdrive and i am curious to hear your views on this subject.

At this moment in time i am not batting for either team. I appreciate all that science has to offer man kind but feel at present that we are limited in our understanding. I don't personally believe in god but i think there are higher forces doing their things but i feel neither sufficently explain it.

If one focuses on rationality to explain why we are here then possibly something could be missed but then how does one measure faith or something bigger.

Any thoughts are very much welcomed.
    “I made you take time to look at what I saw and when you took time to really notice my flower, you hung all your associations with flowers on my flower and you write about my flower as if I think and see what you think and see—and I don't.”
    ― Georgia O'Keeffe

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx

I accept scientific findings as to how we got where we are now. But I don't think science precludes the possibility that we were meant to exist as we do now. Beyond that I don't have any concrete beliefs.

Agnosticism. Not sure how to term it into something that would be between Naturalist and Creationist, but that is what I am getting at.

The universe is too big, what we have found out so far can be entitled "natural."

For everything that has yet to be found or solve, a Creationist attitude is probable unless we have found the cause of the "natural" phenomena.

We can think of how the world used to think that the earth was the center of the universe. With discovery over the course of the centuries, we have found that it was, indeed, not the center of the universe. However, by solving this natural phenomena, we have found an even bigger puzzle, one in which we can't solve in this day and age.

With what we don't know, a Creationist attitude is possible. With what we do know, a Naturalist attitude is possible.

MBTI
    INtp
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/so
    Socionics
    LII Ne

I suppose intelligent design would be somewhere in the middle.

I'm an agnostic and personally I believe in evolution. I sometimes wonder though, if there is a God or some higher power out there if it created the right conditions to allow evolution to occur. It seems like in order for life to just arise on its own that so many variables and conditions must be just right that it seems extraordinarily improbable for it to just happen on its own without some higher power guiding it.
    INtp
    5w6 or 9w1 sp/so/sx, I think
    Ravenclaw/Hufflepuff
    Neutral Good
    LII-Ne

I favor creationism because it's so simple. Not gonna waste much energy on such mundane matters.

Senior Member Survive & Stay Free's Avatar
    MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    9 so/sx

I absolutely do not believe in creationism, I feel its based upon a bastardisation of biblical/scriptural literalism which I dont believe either, and positively oppose when I think about it, I dont know if that makes me a naturalist because I am not an atheist.

I dont believe there is a dichotomy between faith and reason, they are interdependent in many ways which are very complex and no doubt I would not be the best or most dependable authority on this topic but I know that there are many ways in which faith operates which people who have a negative view of religosity would choose to deny.

For instance if you believe a scientifically determined finding you need to have faith that they did not simply fabricate their research or abandon the proper methodology if their thesis did not reflect the findings and then require different conclusions.

This is different from "blind faith" which IS associated with some religiosity but I would actually not say is associated with them all, the Roman Catholic Church is one of the least credulous and demands incredibly strict evidence if it is presented with miracles or anything else, I am sure that other faiths have their own versions of the same.

^ I do love the dry cackle of an INTJ.

Why is my first instinct to think that this thread was made in utter jest?

http://plato.stanford.edu/entries/creationism/

^ This? Seriously?

Sorry OP, but if I kept that much of an open mind, it would need to be empty.

Ginkgo

Quote Originally Posted by Lark View Post
    I absolutely do not believe in creationism, I feel its based upon a bastardisation of biblical/scriptural literalism which I dont believe either, and positively oppose when I think about it, I dont know if that makes me a naturalist because I am not an atheist.

I dont believe there is a dichotomy between faith and reason, they are interdependent in many ways which are very complex and no doubt I would not be the best or most dependable authority on this topic but I know that there are many ways in which faith operates which people who have a negative view of religosity would choose to deny.

For instance if you believe a scientifically determined finding you need to have faith that they did not simply fabricate their research or abandon the proper methodology if their thesis did not reflect the findings and then require different conclusions.

This is different from "blind faith" which IS associated with some religiosity but I would actually not say is associated with them all, the Roman Catholic Church is one of the least credulous and demands incredibly strict evidence if it is presented with miracles or anything else, I am sure that other faiths have their own versions of the same.
    So you don't believe a deity created everything?

MBTI
    Aeon
    Enneagram
    10w so
    Socionics
    LOL

I don't care about the ideology, I only care about the science. All we know so far is that young earth creationism is extremely implausible.

One could say that God does 'his' work via evolution, but that would be redundant.

Senior Member Survive & Stay Free's Avatar
    MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    9 so/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Catbert View Post
    I don't care about the ideology, I only care about the science. All we know so far is that young earth creationism is extremely implausible.

One could say that God does 'his' work via evolution, but that would be redundant.
    Why would that be redundant?