User Tag List

View Poll Results: Would you rather have a child, or live forever?

Voters
45. You may not vote on this poll
  • I would rather be mortal and have a child.

18 40.00%
  • I would prefer to live forever.

27 60.00%
123 Last

MBTI
    Aeon
    Enneagram
    10w so
    Socionics
    LOL

Default Would you rather have a child, or live forever?

Would you rather have a child, or live forever? A simple choice.

Due to popular demand, additional conditions:
    Lets also assume that your family line will last indefinitely if you choose to have a child.
    Living forever means that you will always have the health of a middle-aged person.

I know what I ought to choose (child) versus what I'd be soooo tempted to choose (immortality). Not sure what would win out when the moment arrived. Must think on this.

BTW: I assume a biological child? No cheating by being immortal and adopting?
    "The purpose of life is to be defeated by greater and greater things." - Rainer Maria Rilke

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Quote Originally Posted by iwakar View Post
    I know what I ought to choose (child) versus what I'd be soooo tempted to choose (immortality). Not sure what would win out when the moment arrived. Must think on this.
    Just curious: What is the "ought" based on? Why is that the "ought to" choice?
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft
    Likes cm81 liked this post

Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer View Post
    Just curious: What is the "ought" based on? Why is that the "ought" choice?
    Has nothing to do with a responsibility to produce progeny and everything to do with no one person being meant to make their mark on the universe for all eternity.
    "The purpose of life is to be defeated by greater and greater things." - Rainer Maria Rilke

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Has ...everything to do with no one person being meant to make their mark on the universe for all eternity.
    I grasp that and generally feel the same way. My basis for such a thought would be generally that I am no better or more special than anyone else in the universe, I'm just human. So I am accepting my definition as a human being, as I see it on a universal and human-wide scale. Was your reasoning similar or is there a different basis for your belief here?

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

I grasp that and generally feel the same way. My basis is generally that I am no better or more special than anyone else in the universe, I'm just human. So I am accepting my definition as a human being, as I see it on a universal and human-wide scale. Was your reasoning similar or is there a different basis for your belief here?

Somewhat. I believe an immortal individual would be a danger to the rest of mortal humanity. I'm sure some will argue that a neverending existence to learn and change and absorb what the universe has to offer could lead to some inspirational, nirvanic Dr. Manhattan state of being blah blah blah, but I seriously doubt this. I'm thinking insanity is more likely and for all we know, there is little difference between total nirvana and total madness. I don't like the idea that no matter what we have to fight for or who we pit ourselves against or how we grow and change as a species, the last man standing will be a crazy relic from eons prior with a completely counterpoint agenda to ours (that being to make what we can of our LIMITED time here)

And who'd want to be that immortal straggler when existence as we know it fails to move onto new frontiers and goes bust instead? A grim thought indeed.

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

That sounds like a Harlan Ellison story in the making.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4
    Socionics
    ILE

I don't want to be immortal I just am not looking forward to the whole dieing/getting old/poor health thing. Could I get a prepaid governess thrown in on the deal? (no cheating by saying 'yeah' and then giving me a wife).
    I redact everything I have written or will write on this forum prior to, subsequent with and or after the fact of its writing. For entertainment purposes only and not to be taken seriously nor literally.

Quote Originally Posted by Edgar View Post
    Spamtar - a strange combination of boorish drunkeness and erudite discussions, or what I call "an Irish academic"

That sounds like a Harlan Ellison story in the making.
    lol I've given immortality a lot of thought. I always thought it was a common intuitive pondering.

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

lol I've given immortality a lot of thought. I always thought it was a common intuitive pondering.
    I remember being terrified of immortality when I was five, I'd have nightmares.
    The thought of living forever was far beyond what my mind could deal with at that time.