User Tag List

View Poll Results: Would you rather have a child, or live forever?

Voters
45. You may not vote on this poll
  • I would rather be mortal and have a child.

18 40.00%
  • I would prefer to live forever.

27 60.00%
First 1234 Last

MBTI
    ESFJ

Have a child.

The idea of living forever, i know for myself means i'll just take everything for granted. I like the idea of knowing i won't be around forever and from this i'll appreciate the people who come into my life, feel a sense of accomplishment when i achieve my goals, and be grateful for the little things. Could you imagine the pain of outliving those you love, oh the anguish. No, it's not for me.
    “I made you take time to look at what I saw and when you took time to really notice my flower, you hung all your associations with flowers on my flower and you write about my flower as if I think and see what you think and see—and I don't.”
    ― Georgia O'Keeffe

Permabanned
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx
    Socionics
    ILE

I'd rather live forever.

I'd probably end up killing the child if I had one. They annoy me. It's sad that one has to go through such torture just to spread their essence to the next generation.

And look, I didn't capitalize my pronouns!

Easy choice! Mortal and child. Living forever would be boring after the first century.

Permabanned
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx
    Socionics
    ILE

Quote Originally Posted by Jenaphor View Post
    Easy choice! Mortal and child. Living forever would be boring after the first century.
    But at least you'd have plenty of time to procrastinate now without regretting it later. And you could also just laugh at those "Life's too short" lectures.

Quote Originally Posted by The Ü View Post
    But at least you'd have plenty of time to procrastinate now without regretting it later. And you could also just laugh at those "Life's too short" lectures.
    But that's what makes life so sweet, knowing it will end and enjoying the moments as they happen. S'truth for me! Spent too much of my life in the future already, looking for the next greatest challenge.

MBTI
    entp
    Enneagram

Jordan: Will we always be together ?
    Frank Black: yes.
    Jordan: Always ?
    Frank Black: Well, nobody gets forever.
    [URL]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tEBvftJUwDw&t=0s[/URL]

I'd like to live forever but as always with the caveat of some kind of eternal youth or slowing of the aging process, I'd not like to live as a zombi, cyborg or vampire either.

This almost feels like a trick question to me, like "Would you rather have a slice of cake or a punch in the face?"
    Everybody have fun tonight. Everybody Wang Chung tonight.

Johari
    /Nohari

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer View Post
    I remember being terrified of immortality when I was five, I'd have nightmares.
    The thought of living forever was far beyond what my mind could deal with at that time.
    Me, too. I'd think about it for long periods of time and freak myself out. To be honest, the idea of immortality still kind of freaks me out. I want an escape hatch. I'm not sure why it would be desirable about it, if I outlived everyone I loved.
    Something Witty

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Quote Originally Posted by The Ü View Post
    I'd rather live forever.

I'd probably end up killing the child if I had one. They annoy me. It's sad that one has to go through such torture just to spread their essence to the next generation.

And look, I didn't capitalize my pronouns!
    ... No, you just described how you'd end up killing children.
    (killing children = not getting invited to people's summer pool parties)

Just sayin'.

Quote Originally Posted by Tallulah View Post
    Me, too. I'd think about it for long periods of time and freak myself out. To be honest, the idea of immortality still kind of freaks me out. I want an escape hatch. I'm not sure why it would be desirable about it, if I outlived everyone I loved.
    It would involve a lot of loss. I might deal for a bit if there were other people to bond with, but the idea of being trapped in eternity in my own head / a world with no other conscious mind in it, with nothing but my own echoes to respond to, seems like utter hell. That's what depression is like... being caged within yourself.

Change and aging is the nature of things in the world.
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft