User Tag List

First 61415161718 Last

MBTI
    GONE

Quote Originally Posted by onemoretime View Post
    I'm not sure you can.
    Oh, I assure you, being a "fire-breathing man-hating hairy-legged feminazi lesbian" doesn't preclude me from having empathy for the fairer sex. Or other women.

HAR HAR HAR.

No, but really, I don't like seeing lovestruck men getting played. My point is that I'm not going to demonize something that women supposedly do (gold-digging, using men for money, etc.) when men not only open themselves up to that situation but actively court it and present the invitation to said woman. Another big factor is that for all the talk of equality in the modern world, all things being equal, a woman is more likely to be financially insecure and easily expoitable (on different levels) than a man. It is very unlikely that a woman can forcefully coerce a man into a relationship or sexual/romantic liaison but sadly, even in this modern day, men can do the same to women.

Also, I like @spamtar 's assessment of this in his quote (and whoohoo for 'mentions'!)
    “If you want to tell people the truth, make them laugh, otherwise they'll kill you.” ― Oscar Wilde

"I'm outtie 5000" ― Romulux

Johari/Nohari

^He pronks, too! Magic Poriferan's Avatar
    MBTI
    Yin
    Enneagram
    One sx/sp

Quote Originally Posted by CzeCze View Post
    No, but really, I don't like seeing lovestruck men getting played. My point is that I'm not going to demonize something that women supposedly do (gold-digging, using men for money, etc.) when men not only open themselves up to that situation but actively court it and present the invitation to said woman.
    As a feminist, you know how that kind of reasoning has been applied to the conduct of women.
    Go to sleep, iguana.

MBTI
    GONE

Quote Originally Posted by Magic Poriferan View Post
    As a feminist, you know how that kind of reasoning has been applied to the conduct of women.
    I don't think a woman ever approaches a man out of the blue and says, "Please sir, can you rape me?"

However, men do approach women and say, "Please lady, can I ply you with food and drinks and flashy cars in the hopes of sleeping with you?"

But yes, I do understand 'blame the victim' arguments.
    “If you want to tell people the truth, make them laugh, otherwise they'll kill you.” ― Oscar Wilde

Johari/Nohari

Whhhat? Personally, going Dutch all the time is a major turn off. I can't imagine this kind of insistence of separation changing when we're coupled. The rule I go buy is whoever asked the other person out is the one who pays for the meal. Then eventually you take turns or it evens out somehow - one person buys dinner, the other person pays for the movie. Geez, equanimity is not the same as mathematical equality.

I was just wondering, I thought it was a gender thing you were meaning and when people are the same sex its not going to be judged the same way you know?

I don't think a woman ever approaches a man out of the blue and says, "Please sir, can you rape me?"

However, men do approach women and say, "Please lady, can I ply you with food and drinks and flashy cars in the hopes of sleeping with you?"

Men do? Or asshats do?

Quote Originally Posted by Lark View Post
    Men do? Or asshats do?
    Clearly, you're making a distinction that everyone doesn't make.
    Everybody have fun tonight. Everybody Wang Chung tonight.

Johari
    /Nohari

MBTI
    GONE

Quote Originally Posted by Lark View Post

I was just wondering, I thought it was a gender thing you were meaning and when people are the same sex its not going to be judged the same way you know?
    It depends but if you go butch-femme than the butch woman will be chivalrous and pay for the femme, etc. Some women don't like that. Me? I don't mind. The context is different (different relative power relations and historical context when it's two women involved) and while some people see the re-enactment of traditional roles to be repugnant I look at it more on a total scale. As long as the relationship balances out in the end or ends quickly when it's clear it's unbalanced and one or both people are unhappy - I don't see the harm.

For myself, there is so much more insidious gender stereotyping and power plays that go on everyday, I'd rather focus on those interactions. But, that's just me and I don't fault anyone or minimize it when a woman or man insists on going dutch all the time or not opening doors, etc.

Johari/Nohari

MBTI
    GONE

Quote Originally Posted by EffEmDoubleyou View Post
    Clearly, you're making a distinction that everyone doesn't make.
    I see the distinction! I see the distinction!

Those "hats" are quite distinctive and hard to miss.

Johari/Nohari

Banned

I dub thee... not another bullshit misanthropic rape thread.

via. the magic of : males are more violent and thus are always rapists and females are not.

enjoy!

MBTI
    3h50
    Socionics
    ILE

Oh, I assure you, being a "fire-breathing man-hating hairy-legged feminazi lesbian" doesn't preclude me from having empathy for the fairer sex. Or other women.

HAR HAR HAR.
    It's not so much that you're a feminist, or that you're a woman. It's that you will never have to walk a mile in a man's shoes. I can try to understand women's perspectives, but I'm never going to have the same experience of men that women will. Empathy only goes so far in those situations.

No, but really, I don't like seeing lovestruck men getting played. My point is that I'm not going to demonize something that women supposedly do (gold-digging, using men for money, etc.) when men not only open themselves up to that situation but actively court it and present the invitation to said woman.
    You realize that this is logically equivalent to the "well, she shouldn't have gotten so drunk and seemed so willing" argument, don't you? And yes, I'm calling this essentially equivalent to date rape, because it's just as much an emotional violation for men to be used by women like this.

Another big factor is that for all the talk of equality in the modern world, all things being equal, a woman is more likely to be financially insecure and easily expoitable (on different levels) than a man.
    That's a pretty strong claim. Do you have evidence of this? Especially given the disproportionately high number of men who are homeless?

It is very unlikely that a woman can forcefully coerce a man into a relationship or sexual/romantic liaison but sadly, even in this modern day, men can do the same to women.
    Do you consider deception to be a form of coercion? What about emotional abuse?

Nice straw man. That's not even close to how it goes in practically any case.

Clearly, since you've been quite adept at making a few here.