User Tag List

View Poll Results: Do you want to live forever?

Voters
32. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes!

19 59.38%
  • No,

8 25.00%
  • I'm neutrally neutral and grey :|

5 15.63%
First 1234 Last

Senior Member Survive & Stay Free's Avatar
    MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    9 so/sx

If its an eternal youth deal then yes I would like to live forever, I would not want to be a zombi or vampire or anything like that.

MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    6w5 sx/sp

Yes. I would take vampire right now if someone offered it.
    I think that would be awesome.
    ISTP 6w5 sx/sp
    6-8-4/6-9-4 Tritype

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx

The question hardly makes sense to me. I suppose I wouldn't mind the option to live forever, being that I could change my mind. But I can't begin to imagine what being immortal would be like, what kinds of things it would do to your outlook to how you interact with people, to your actions.

Anyway forever is also a ridiculous proposition. Can you imagine persisting after all the stars have become cold with entropy? What we're talking here is an arbitrarily large finite time, but finite none the less. If you can't get something out of your current finite time limit, what makes you think you'll do better with X more?

Permabanned

I've thought about it for a long time, and I honestly have no clue what I'd do. I know what I think I'd do, but I also know I couldn't possibly know what I'd be thinking if actually given the choice. Think about it, if given the choice to live forever, would we not be in heaven? Or hell? The cyclic nature of "what now?" "this"..would be too much to bear.

Ideally, I would die, find a way to analyze life while dead, compare it to my situation, and find a way to "not be dead" if I so choose. But If, while dead, I couldn't be undead, would I not be in hell? or is that heaven?

ughh..this death/life thing kills me sometimes...

MBTI
    INfj
    Enneagram
    6w5

I already intend to live forever, so if you're offering it to me for free, I'd accept in a heartbeat! After examining the caveats, of course.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer View Post
    It must be disorienting/unsettling to constantly be "losing" old selves that, of changing so much that it's hard to maintain continuity.
    I think one could get used to it. I'm only 24 and I already look at my 20-year-old self as a stranger. It's hard to come to terms with the whole 'no constant self' thing, but I think it's a lot more freeing and maybe even healthier. It's definitely more natural, at the very least.
    The beauty of a living thing is not the atoms that go into it, but the way those atoms are put together. ~ rCoxI ~ INfj ~ 5w6 so/sp

Nips away your dignity Fluffywolf's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    9 sp/sx

Basicly yes.

Ofcourse, if eventually the sun goes supernova and earth will be blown to pieces, I'd rather die instead of living in cold space unable to breath for all eternity. So there are limits as to how I want to live forever. But yes, I do want to live forever.
    ~Self-depricating Megalomaniacal Superwolf

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx
    Socionics
    IEI Ni

Absolutely. There's so much to explore in the world, the universe. I couldn't give up the chance to explore infinity. Plus, you can always start over with a "new" life, and I love that idea. A phoenix rising from the ashes every time.

I suppose when I hear this question, I always frame it positively: everyone I love will live forever too, we'll be in a state of youthful adulthood & good health, there will be relative peace among people...utopia, basically . But even with the way the world is now, I'd still say yes.
    Often a star was waiting for you to notice it. A wave rolled toward you out of the distant past, or as you walked under an open window, a violin yielded itself to your hearing. All this was mission. But could you accomplish it? (Rilke)

INFP | 4w5 sp/sx | RLUEI - Primary Inquisitive | Tritype is tripe

MBTI
    INtP

Quote Originally Posted by CzeCze View Post
    If I could live forever as a healthy, able-bodied, sound mind person who isn't being hunted down or persecuted, then sure! Why not?

Perhaps I watched a little too much Highlander in the 90's, but definitely. Although I think I'd have wanted to start a couple thousand years back, I'd certainly not say no anytime.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

insert random title here Randomnity's Avatar
    MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    6w5 sp/sx

I would definitely do it if I had the option to kill myself whenever I wanted. Is that a dealbreaker?

Otherwise I'd have to think more about it, but I'd lean towards no in the scenario I'm imagining. Unless everyone lived forever. But that'd be really weird and the world/future would be pretty drastically different as a result. Especially if we're talking literally forever and not just "a really really really really long time".
    -end of thread-

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Quote Originally Posted by OrangeAppled View Post
    I suppose when I hear this question, I always frame it positively: everyone I love will live forever too, we'll be in a state of youthful adulthood & good health, there will be relative peace among people...utopia, basically .
    ha ha, you freakin' INFPs...! Of course that would be much more palatable.

Yeah, I always think the opposite -- a stark Alien-esque universe or a bittersweet Highlander one.
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft