User Tag List

First 12345 Last

MBTI
    JINX
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Marmie Dearest View Post
    No it's not wrong.

However, using it to bully someone you're genuinely upsetting is wrong.

Other than that, though, no. Speak your mind, even if that means playing devil's advocate.
    Yeah, if the other person is obviously distressed, and the breakdown in communication is not being repaired by anything you're saying, it's best to walk away, because it'll just serve as a psychological assault on the other person, and I'm assuming that's not the objective for most people who engage in discussions.
    03/23 06:06:58 EcK: lex
    03/23 06:06:59 EcK: lex
    03/23 06:21:34 Nancynobullets: LEXXX *sacrifices a first born*
    03/23 06:21:53 Nancynobullets: We summon yooouuu
    03/23 06:29:07 Lexicon: I was sleeping!

04/25 04:20:35 Patches: Don't listen to lex. She wants to birth a litter of kittens. She doesnt get to decide whats creepy

02/16 23:49:38 ygolo: Lex is afk
    02/16 23:49:45 Cimarron: she's doing drugs with Jack

03/05 19:27:41 Time: You can't make chat morbid. Lex does it naturally.

Ginkgo

Quote Originally Posted by phobik View Post
    ...which do not concur with our (oneself) own? Yes/No?

Discuss.
    LOL!

Actually, I frequently see "peacemakers" on other forums come in with their hippie "That's just your opinion, man!" On the other hand, the topics discussed are sometimes factually based, or based on reason alone. So... the whole idea of people being entitled to their own beliefs is really a defense against being challenged. Of course everyone's entitled to their own beliefs; and if so, then I'm entitled to believe you're a stupid dooky face head.

Personally? I enjoy discourse. Not necessarily being part of it, but at least urge it on.

Quote Originally Posted by Ginkgo View Post
    LOL!

Actually, I frequently see "peacemakers" on other forums come in with their hippie "That's just your opinion, man!" On the other hand, the topics discussed are sometimes factually based, or based on reason alone. So... the whole idea of people being entitled to their own beliefs is really a defense against being challenged. Of course everyone's entitled to their own beliefs; and if so, then I'm entitled to believe you're a stupid dooky face head.

Personally? I enjoy discourse. Not necessarily being part of it, but at least urge it on.
    As a comparison, in academia settings, anything you state which you don't reference or support with data is just an opinion. Likely, in internet discussion forums, this is also the default, the difference being noone is required to backup their claims, hence most discussion being an exchange of opinions and not factual data, which is natural and theoretically desirable given the medium. Due to likely complex individual factors, not everyone has the same awareness of this, and more often than not, falls into the trap of reacting defensively against opposing views.

How this is done, however, can vary extensively, and give room for either direct/indirect conflit and those "peacemakers". Not everyone will necessarily engage in the same way. It's possible we could link different approaches to the same personal internal friction to different MBTI traits even, but that's besides the point.
    To avoid criticism, do nothing, say nothing, be nothing.
    ~ Elbert Hubbard

Music provides one of the clearest examples of a much deeper relation between mathematics and human experience.

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx

FYI.. my Opinion on opinions was a joke. I had originally thought my was too heavy handed. Guess not.

The internet is the same as everywhere else as far as what goes, except it's nastier because nobody is in danger of having something thrown at them.

MBTI
    INTj

Of course it is. By definition, if an opinion does not concur with the truth, then it's wrong.

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

Quote Originally Posted by phobik View Post
    As a comparison, in academia settings, anything you state which you don't reference or support with data is just an opinion. Likely, in internet discussion forums, this is also the default, the difference being noone is required to backup their claims, hence most discussion being an exchange of opinions and not factual data, which is natural and theoretically desirable given the medium. Due to likely complex individual factors, not everyone has the same awareness of this, and more often than not, falls into the trap of reacting defensively against opposing views.

How this is done, however, can vary extensively, and give room for either direct/indirect conflit and those "peacemakers". Not everyone will necessarily engage in the same way. It's possible we could link different approaches to the same personal internal friction to different MBTI traits even, but that's besides the point.
    Academia is repressive and controls thought, forcing it to be left-brained and structured to their particular mold.

It also seems like it would appeal more to NTs than anyone on the planet.

Then again, I'm not saying that you shouldn't ever provide proof and support...that's ridiculous. There's something to be said for the academic style. In moderation.

MBTI
    INTj

STJs have them beat.

MBTI
    FREE

Academia is repressive and controls thought, forcing it to be left-brained and structured to their particular mold.

Then again, I'm not saying that you shouldn't ever provide proof and support...that's ridiculous. There's something to be said for the academic style. In moderation.
    Hrmph. You'll get no argument from me that the highly educated tend to be more liberal, and that is represented in the classroom; but repressive and controlling of thought... I would be inclined to disagree, from personal experience.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

Quote Originally Posted by Not_Me View Post
    STJs have them beat.
    There is a bit of truth to that, I agree that there are plenty of STJs in the academic structure.

I also know an ISTJ who refuses to argue anything serious unless he can back it up with proof, he thinks it's pointless, though he will express opinions he recognizes them as just that: opinions.

He wouldn't ever spend as much time as I do blah blah blah-ing about my viewpoint. He's also told me he doesn't like to have debates at parties or whatever because he can't grab a dictionary, encyclopedia, or look it up on-line to support his opinion.

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

Quote Originally Posted by Jonnyboy View Post
    Hrmph. You'll get no argument from me that the highly educated tend to be more liberal, and that is represented in the classroom; but repressive and controlling of thought... I would be inclined to disagree, from personal experience.
    I think academia does encourage you to think theoretically, so no, it's not repressive in that sense. In that sense it is more freeing than primary and secondary public schools.

On the other hand, as a more creative person, I find the emphasis on structure and logic and detachment from emotion a bit creepy.

I have a friend, an INTP, who has his PhD in Philosophy who actually has observed some of the same things that I have, which makes me feel like my opinion on the matter is valid.

I think I'd probably burn a grad school down before attending one.