• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

You're American

Rail Tracer

Freaking Ratchet
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Forget what people are telling you. Who are YOU? Once you've figured this out, people can say you're blue cheese where your response will be "up yours" with a smirk!

Asian-American. What of it? Now. Up yours! :D

A

A window to the soul

What if you were Mexican-Asian-African-American? Would you still hyphenate?

rav3n

Burning Rave, when you allow others to have impact on your life, the ground is never solid. You get pushed and pulled around, many times over the same ground with no forward movement or even pushed backwards. But if you ground and center, you're always in control and capable of forward momentum, cherry picking knowledge from others.

A

A window to the soul

I guess that solves my conundrum.

You said I "can't have one without the other." My initial thought was, "uh oh, I only have one." I was just playing around with your logic, but I understand you to mean your situation. I think it's a common thing to see the hyphenation in last names and nationalities. I've never done it, nor do I have a desire to do it, which is why I was curious. I'm guessing it has to do with pride/loyalty to your roots. Would you say that's accurate?

Rail Tracer

Freaking Ratchet
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
You said I "can't have one without the other." My initial thought was, "uh oh, I only have one." I was just playing around with your logic, but I understand you to mean your situation. I think it's a common thing to see the hyphenation in last names and nationalities. I've never done it, nor do I have a desire to do it, which is why I was curious. I'm guessing it has to do with pride/loyalty to your roots. Would you say that's accurate?

Definitely. The hyphen is there to show that there is a connection between the two.

Rail Tracer

Freaking Ratchet
Instinctual Variant
sx/so

Definitely. The hyphen is there to show that there is a connection between the two.

I can definitely go further with ethnicity.

A

A window to the soul

So it means you were born in Asia, but you're also American? Or can anyone do it? Notice, when African-Americans do it, not all of them are born in Africa. I'm trying to figure out the business logic. :blush:

A

A window to the soul

I take it you didn't notice Burning Rave's signature.

I for one love it. Makes me giggle every time.

Right on, Burning Rave.

You're right, I did not notice that. It took me a minute to adjust my eyes to the fine details. I don't normally look at the sigs. That is, unless I'm looking for details about someone's type; then, sometimes I do.

Rail Tracer

Freaking Ratchet
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
So it means you were born in Asia, but you're also American? Or can anyone do it? Notice, when African-Americans do it, not all of them are born in Africa. I'm trying to figure out the business logic. :blush:

Nope, I was born IN America :D but am also Asian. There are probably other uses for it

American-Asian works too if you are that inclined to put where I was born first. Then again, there does seem to be a difference between American-Asian and Asian-American.

But first and foremost is that I am both.

A

A window to the soul

Nope, I was born IN America :D but am also Asian. There are probably other uses for it

American-Asian works too if you are that inclined to put where I was born first. Then again, there does seem to be a difference between American-Asian and Asian-American.

Nothing wrong with that I guess. It's becoming a more and more common thing in America, so I was curious more than anything. Thanks for your replies.

Lark

Sometimes, all I can think about is that I live in America, not your country of origin. But at times, I am treated as if I am not particularly American.

Anyone else feel this way? Are there particular ways to quell this?

There's plenty of people who've lived in America for generations who are being made to feel not particularly American at the minute, some of the more radical political factions (they dont think they are radical) have succeeded in defining American identity and framing the cultural agenda.

So if you dont believe in the Washington Consensus and Corporate Agenda, whether you've just moved in or been there for generations doesnt matter, I reckon that's more significant than differences about what food you like, what TV you watch, what pass times you're engaged in, stuff like that.

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
There's plenty of people who've lived in America for generations who are being made to feel not particularly American at the minute, some of the more radical political factions (they dont think they are radical) have succeeded in defining American identity and framing the cultural agenda.

So if you dont believe in the Washington Consensus and Corporate Agenda, whether you've just moved in or been there for generations doesnt matter, I reckon that's more significant than differences about what food you like, what TV you watch, what pass times you're engaged in, stuff like that.

You know what I like about you Lark? We detest the same people.