User Tag List

First 3456 Last

Thread: You're American

Quote Originally Posted by Nerd Girl View Post
    Nothing wrong with that I guess. It's becoming a more and more common thing in America, so I was curious more than anything. Thanks for your replies.
    Common in that I am placing "American" first to show that I was born in America to show that I am different from Asians that moved to America?

A window to the soul

Quote Originally Posted by Burning Rave View Post
    Common in that I am placing "American" first to show that I was born in America to show that I am different from Asians that moved to America?
    No. Not that specific case. I'm referring to any case, as I'm speaking generally on the subject of including ones heritage with "American," whether it be "American-Asian" or "Asian-American".

Certified Sausage Smoker Elfboy's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Socionics
    SLI None

I don't really understand why people feel so connected with their heritage. in particular I don't get what's so great about feeling "American". frankly I'm ashamed of more parts of our culture than I'm proud of. honestly, I just feel like me. homo sapiens sapiens are all 99.9% identical anyway (to the point where it's frankly disgusting. a single family group of chimpanzees for instance carries more genetic variation than the entirety of the human race). are certain personality types more likely than others to place high priority in heritage? is it an SJ thing? an FJ thing? an SO variant thing?
    ENFP: We put the Fi in Fire
    ENFP
    5w4>1w9>2w1 Sx/Sp
    SEE-Fi
    Papa Bear
    Motivation: Dark Worker
    Alignment: Chaotic Neutral
    Chibi Seme
    MTG Color: black/red
    Male Archtype: King/Lover
    Sunburst!
    "You are a gay version of Gambit" Speed Gavroche
    "I wish that I could be affected by any hate, but I can't, cuz I just get affected by the bank" Chamillionaire

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    6w7

I'm African and American and I've never experienced the problem TC spoke of. To me, it's actually a blessing because when people badmouth either nationality, I just say I'm the other.
    We cast away priceless time in dreams, born of imagination, fed upon illusion, and put to death by reality. - Judy Garland

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Elfboy View Post
    I don't really understand why people feel so connected with their heritage. in particular I don't get what's so great about feeling "American". frankly I'm ashamed of more parts of our culture than I'm proud of. honestly, I just feel like me. homo sapiens sapiens are all 99.9% identical anyway (to the point where it's frankly disgusting. a single family group of chimpanzees for instance carries more genetic variation than the entirety of the human race). are certain personality types more likely than others to place high priority in heritage? is it an SJ thing? an FJ thing? an SO variant thing?
    It's a 'person not born as your standard white guy and located in an area filled with people who like to comment on it' thing.

MBTI
    iSFj
    Enneagram
    2 sx/so

I'd rather have some culture in our country, even if that means several different ones who fight for recognition or superiority, than no culture at all. I'm not a fan of homogeny and staleness for various reasons.

MBTI
    HUMR
    Enneagram
    6 sx
    Socionics
    iNfp Ni

"Non-Hispanic White Americans" as of 2010 made up about 64% of the current population. White is considered those from european, north african, and middle eastern heritage. Census bureua estimates through growth patterns that by the year 2042 the "non-hispanic" white American will actually be a minority, but a also a plurality.. meaning they will still make up the largest voting group. Keep in mind, these statistics are of legal people in the US at this time.

Hawaii, New Mexico, California, and Texas report non-hispanic white is a minority.

Maryland, Georgia, Nevada, Florida, Arizona, New York, New Jersey, and Mississippi all report less than 60% non-hispanic white population.

My point on this is simply that there is a very large number and growing.. of people that probably feel like they are in the same boat. (Feeling a division of citizenship/heritage) but when you look at it statistically.. being a nonwhite isn't quite the minority it gets made out to be, and won't be a minority for long.

I agree that the best thing to do is know who you are.. and forget the rest. Someone on this forum said that they hated it when people are inclined to identify themselves as anything beyond their own ideas, and I am apt to agree.
    Man suffers only because he takes seriously what the gods made for fun - Watts

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx

The whole monolithic white America vs those with a tan thing is kind of ridiculous, and recent as well. Driving around small towns in my state, you can see signs of the cultural identities past. There are towns with old signs still in German, Swedish, Czech, and you know, English. And listening to the stories around here, they all had their little clashes. Anyone claiming to school you on what America is probably hasn't ever seen anything much outside of what is spoon fed to them by society.

Quote Originally Posted by Elfboy View Post
    I already know that there is almost no difference between the DNA of my neighbors compared to my DNA.

It general terms, it's sociology, in a more specific way, it is cultural. We live in a society that acts and think in a certain way just as you act and think in a certain way. Not noticing those boundaries is like a full grown elephant fighting off a lone lion. That lion better know what he is doing fighting a full grown elephant all alone. Not to mention the possibility of a herd of elephants.

People define who they are. Just like you, Elfboy, who defines himself as an ENFP 4w3 SX/SP just like a bunch of other homo sapiens.

Certified Sausage Smoker Elfboy's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Socionics
    SLI None

Quote Originally Posted by Burning Rave View Post
    I already know that there is almost no difference between the DNA of my neighbors compared to my DNA.

It general terms, it's sociology, in a more specific way, it is cultural. We live in a society that acts and think in a certain way just as you act and think in a certain way. Not noticing those boundaries is like a full grown elephant fighting off a lone lion. That lion better know what he is doing fighting a full grown elephant all alone. Not to mention the possibility of a herd of elephants.

People define who they are. Just like you, Elfboy, who defines himself as an ENFP 4w3 SX/SP just like a bunch of other homo sapiens.
    I liken myself more to a lone lion fighting off a heard of elephants, but perhaps I'm just being self glorifying
    ENFP: We put the Fi in Fire
    ENFP
    5w4>1w9>2w1 Sx/Sp
    SEE-Fi
    Papa Bear
    Motivation: Dark Worker
    Alignment: Chaotic Neutral
    Chibi Seme
    MTG Color: black/red
    Male Archtype: King/Lover
    Sunburst!
    "You are a gay version of Gambit" Speed Gavroche
    "I wish that I could be affected by any hate, but I can't, cuz I just get affected by the bank" Chamillionaire